Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The RAMA roughie

Senior Member(無間使者)

The RAMA roughie

Sadly, for those that are not aware, the racing form expert Deane Lester passed away late last night, 16th February 2023. For those that understand the title name then you will be well aware of Deane. For those that find this strange, this was the name given to his tip on every friday morning, firstly at 3UZ and then when the station was rebranded as RSN927. And it has become an institution in Melbourne and heard throughout Australia on all racing stations. The name RAMA came from the nickname of a much loved Essendon AFL player, Adam Ramanauskas, who was much loved by many for all the difficulties that plagued his own career. Hence, the RAMA roughie was coined, and hoped that it would strive as hard as it's namesake. The late Deane Lester was an icon as a racing tipster and a true australian larriken that lived a life of horse racing and punting. The punting that those of us born in the 50's and 60's knew as punting, before the aussie slang gave it a new lean. I never had the pleasure of meeting Deane however I lost a great part of my life last night. Not being able to hear his voice on radio or use his tips will be strange new world for a while. So, after listening to many say today that we need a legacy to continue, I am suggesting that I post the RAMA roughie each Friday for all those that would like a punt and openly encourage any other OP that feels they to have a roughie for the team. The RAMA roughie will be The roughie and everything else will be My roughie. For those that wonder if this is an appropriate, for those that have never heard of Deane Lester, google will help. Deano will always be remembered.
    The RAMA roughie 18/2/23
    Melb R9 No 11 Hello Broadcast
    My RAMA roughie
    Melb R1 No 13 Daily Bugle
    Giddy Up
    Last edited by trampslikeus55; 17-02-2023 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Error

Senior Member(無間使者)
    That's very nice, but I think you have the wrong punting forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Niisato View Post
    That's very nice, but I think you have the wrong punting forum.
    Perhaps, but I will cop the tip from anywhere who wants to stick their neck out and give out roughly tips that are most likely way over the odds!

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    Yeah go for it man. I like to chuck the odd lobster or pineapple on something once in a while.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Always sad to hear about anyone dying from cancer but i am simply not in to putting anyone on a pedestal.
    He lived a good life despite facing many issues and i say good for him
    He was one ofbtge better tipsters but thats like saying Albo is one of the better pollies......stilll a bottom feeder

Quote Originally Posted by trampslikeus55 View Post
    The RAMA roughie 18/2/23
    Melb R9 No 11 Hello Broadcast
    My RAMA roughie
    Melb R1 No 13 Daily Bugle
    Giddy Up
    RIP Deane. Don't recall the RAMA rougher but I pretty much use Sky Channel for the original punting.

I have put a bit each way on both. Think I got $14 and $19 respectively. Quick look at the form and can see why there is interest.

Everyone loves a roughy, but I also like good things getting the job done. They pay your way so you can speculate. I Put this all-up on at Rosehill tomorrow Tote odds but should pay at least $10

R4. 3. Kings Gambit.
    R6. 2. Mariamia.
    R8. 3. Aft Cabin.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybo View Post
    RIP Deane. Don't recall the RAMA rougher but I pretty much use Sky Channel for the original punting.

I have put a bit each way on both. Think I got $14 and $19 respectively. Quick look at the form and can see why there is interest.

Everyone loves a roughy, but I also like good things getting the job done. They pay your way so you can speculate. I Put this all-up on at Rosehill tomorrow Tote odds but should pay at least $10

R4. 3. Kings Gambit.
    R6. 2. Mariamia.
    R8. 3. Aft Cabin.
    Fuck me.
    I know it's after the event but Kings Gambit is a nag.
    Struggled to run 2nd with everything going his way last start and they dodged a decent race last week cos they knew he couldn't win....

Stop listening to Brad Davidson ....the guys an absolute muppet. He couldn't even analyse one of Rooters reviews

Betting on 3 winners to get 9 to 1 is just a dumb bet but please keep it up

Quote Originally Posted by Soton View Post
    Fuck me.
    I know it's after the event but Kings Gambit is a nag.
    Struggled to run 2nd with everything going his way last start and they dodged a decent race last week cos they knew he couldn't win....

Stop listening to Brad Davidson ....the guys an absolute muppet. He couldn't even analyse one of Rooters reviews

Betting on 3 winners to get 9 to 1 is just a dumb bet but please keep it up
    Thought I would give it another chance. Sacked now. Mariamia was disappointing too, as was Aft Cabin. Oh well, that's racing.

Love my Multis and all-ups - small outlay big return when they do get up.

99 Premium Member (特級會員) rooter's Avatar
    Hey tramps. You didn't go too well with your tips mate.
    Daily Bugle ran 4th and Hello Broadcast finished near the end.
    That's OK mate, they were roughies after all.
    I could be cruel and quote the late great Bert Bryant and say you have "more tips than a can of asparagus" but nah mate I wouldn't be so cruel
    Happy punting mate!

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Thought I would give it another chance. Sacked now. Mariamia was disappointing too, as was Aft Cabin. Oh well, that's racing.

Love my Multis and all-ups - small outlay big return when they do get up.
    All power to you but your idea of small outlay big return is very different to mine
    If i am putting more than 50c on a multi i am expecting upwards of 1k back.

Quote Originally Posted by Soton View Post
    All power to you but your idea of small outlay big return is very different to mine
    If i am putting more than 50c on a multi i am expecting upwards of 1k back.
    It must be nice. I have had a few 4 leg Multis pay between 80 and 100 to 1, but 2000/1 I simply cannot comprehend.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Quote Originally Posted by rooter View Post
    Hey tramps. You didn't go too well with your tips mate.
    Daily Bugle ran 4th and Hello Broadcast finished near the end.
    That's OK mate, they were roughies after all.
    I could be cruel and quote the late great Bert Bryant and say you have "more tips than a can of asparagus" but nah mate I wouldn't be so cruel
    Happy punting mate!
    Hi Rooter. Agree, not a auspicious start mate. Aim was to keep the tradition going. My tip was the omen of his great mate, Robbie Griffiths horse in the first. Then Jye McNeil wins and the tears flowed anyway. The RAMA roughie is an institution in Victoria. Maybe not so known here outside racing people. It is still going on in his memory and I think it will be handled by Mark Hunter, a very good judge in his own right. I will put it up on Friday's. Put a running chart under it and see where we finish at the end of the year. There are single bet punters who have done really well over time.
    Good to see you are still up and punching old friend. I, for one, was always proud of the tales. We both have been "punting" for all our lives and No Surrender is a song that I give to boys like us. These last few years have been tough for me. Covid first then P Cancer next. Things are not the same, but the fire still burns. So keep travelling my blood brother👍

Senior Member(無間使者)
    It must be nice. I have had a few 4 leg Multis pay between 80 and 100 to 1, but 2000/1 I simply cannot comprehend.
    Each to his own mate.
    If it works for u and you enjoy it by all means keep it up.
    I tend to take up to 200 worth of bets on any race day. Mainly trifectas and quinellas get the bulk of that so I spread it around.
    Taking the last 2 weeks as an example
    11k from a $9 quaddie 16% collect ie it paid 68K
    2.5k from a $6 quaddie 16%
    8.4k from $10 6 horse multi 33%
    3k from $4 trifecta 200%
    1.5k from $2 trifecta 33%
    3 x 1k plus from $10 win bets. 100 to one or better
    Fair few 500 plus collects
    Mind u I had a real shit 2 weeks prior dropping around 2000 and seriously thought about having a break.
    Slow day yesterday ...despite tipping 6 winners in Melbourne and 3 or 4 each in syd bris and adelaide I only picked up a few hundred.
    Really expected sessions road to win the last. Got flattened out of the gates and lost a ton of ground and time to balance.
    Would have given me the quaddie straight and a nice 14k win....pretty deflated about it so went for a rub tug and blow....lol
    Some nice long price chances today.....

Enjoy your adventures and keep 😃

Senior Member(無間使者)
    The RAMA roughie 25/2/23
    Melbourne Race 9 No 16
    Zapateo
    My roughie
    Melbourne Race 7 No 5
    Brave Halo
    Go the sandgropers.
    Betting -1 W&P
    Giddy Up

99 Premium Member (特級會員) rooter's Avatar
    Not quite a roughie, but not a favourite either. No. 8 Don Corleone Race 7 Sandown tomorrow.

Tomorrow.
    Randwick R8, No2 Mo'unga (also put a Quinella on with No1 Anamoe)
    Sandown R6, No4 Young Werther

Senior Member(無間使者)
    The RAMA roughie 3/3/23
    Melbourne. R7 No 13 Legarto
    My roughie
    Melbourne R6 No 3 Sebonack
    Betting -2 W&P
    Giddy Up

Flemington R7 No7 Bank Maur. Also Quinella with the favourite.
    Not roughies, but also very keen on:
    Flemington R8 No1 Tuvalu
    Randwick R7 No11 Golden Mile

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Quote Originally Posted by trampslikeus55 View Post
    The RAMA roughie 3/3/23
    Melbourne. R7 No 13 Legarto
    My roughie
    Melbourne R6 No 3 Sebonack
    Betting -2 W&P
    Giddy Up
    good work.
    Not what I would ever call a roughie but did the job.

Took Sotons Sessions Rd tip....did it pretty easily and got 11's , still not a roughie but a tidy collect

Love this thread.

Rosehill R7 No 4 No Compromise
    Flemington R7 No 10 Chain of Lightning

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast