Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What kind of work do you do? Has the present economic situation affected you?

Baby Member(留言版初哥)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Flintstone View Post
    I’m the guy that puts stickers on apples. You know, those little oval shaped barcodes to stop people from sneakily buying Granny Smiths at the price of Royal Galas.
    As long as people keep munching apples, I’ve got a job
    I thought that you worked on a Dino at Smedly’s Quarry

99 Premium Member (特級會員)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybo View Post
    Good coin, especially if you do a good job and it is recognised by the businesses you support.

I literally have other IT companies knocking on my door every day or throwing around nice entertainment budgets to keep me enthusiastic about their products. This ends up being a long lunch or dinner and quite often a punt afterwards, sometimes self-funded. 😁😁😁
    I remember during the pandemic when the borders were closed. There was a huge shortage of Devs and most companies basically even when the pandemic was winding down had to just allow them to work from home permanently of they'll lose the Devs. Times were good.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Any other auditors or public accountants out here?

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼)
    Health. Not impacted at all

Senior Member(無間使者)
    I do construction work, AI won’t be taking over my job anytime soon. And all my bosses are WFH.
    Truly bliss.

Banned
    I'm a photographer. Mobile phones have taken over my jobs.

And now Adobe releases a AI imaging programme called Firefly which will make photography redundant.

Soon I will have no income to punt.

I will retire to Lone Pine Temple in a high mountain in China to chant and pray and meditate whole day and become a Shaolin Kungfu Monk.

Quote Originally Posted by Sibon View Post
    I'm a photographer. Mobile phones have taken over my jobs.

And now Adobe releases a AI imaging programme called Firefly which will make photography redundant.

Soon I will have no income to punt.

I will retire to Lone Pine Temple in a high mountain in China to chant and pray and meditate whole day and become a Shaolin Kungfu Monk.
    To think Kodak was one of the biggest companies in the world back then. Made the mistake like many others by not embracing and investing in technology, corporate arrogance

Banned
    6 figure salary in the $100k range means nothing these days. With 5% interest rates on mortgages you'd be barely approved for a loan to buy a house in Edmondson Park. If you want to afford living away from Western Sydney you'd need at least $300k in salary. If you want to live in the city all the way to the Eastern Suburbs, $600k minimum unless your parents are multi-millionaires and you're their golden child.

Anything below six figures, just forget about living the Aussie dream. Government wants you to spend money and save nothing, so you might as well punt as frequent as you can afford it.

One guy I knew was illegal in the country, he worked full-time doing construction and was paid cash. After paying for his room rent, food and phone bills he spends all of his weekly wages on pokies and brothel runs. He reckons he's tried all nationalities. Ten years ago he was caught and deported back to his home country. He regretted spending all his money away since he could've brought it with him and start a new life very wealthy in his home country. He was already in his 50s at the time.

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJones View Post
    6 figure salary in the $100k range means nothing these days. With 5% interest rates on mortgages you'd be barely approved for a loan to buy a house in Edmondson Park. If you want to afford living away from Western Sydney you'd need at least $300k in salary. If you want to live in the city all the way to the Eastern Suburbs, $600k minimum unless your parents are multi-millionaires and you're their golden child.

Anything below six figures, just forget about living the Aussie dream. Government wants you to spend money and save nothing, so you might as well punt as frequent as you can afford it.

One guy I knew was illegal in the country, he worked full-time doing construction and was paid cash. After paying for his room rent, food and phone bills he spends all of his weekly wages on pokies and brothel runs. He reckons he's tried all nationalities. Ten years ago he was caught and deported back to his home country. He regretted spending all his money away since he could've brought it with him and start a new life very wealthy in his home country. He was already in his 50s at the time.
    Sounds anecdotal

Banned
    Video Editor, now retired, still get the odd freelance work, started way back in the early days of videotape then the transition to non linear (computer), never really a "job", loved the work...I have not been "punting" that long, I have just one lady I see now, money has never been a problem......

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    Finance. Money answereth all things.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybo View Post
    To think Kodak was one of the biggest companies in the world back then. Made the mistake like many others by not embracing and investing in technology, corporate arrogance
    Kodak invented digital camera. They failed to execute it.

They didn't have Steve Jobs and his vision.

Junior Member(有D料到)
    I think you mean, they chose not to execute them. Kodak could have been digital kings. They didn't read the market correctly.

Junior Member(有D料到)
    Kodak was an early developer of digital camera technology, but failed to anticipate the rapid growth of digital photography and the decline of traditional film. The company was slow to adapt and lost market share to competitors who embraced digital technology. Kodak was also slow to enter the digital printing market, which was another missed opportunity. Aggressive pursuit of patent infringement lawsuits did little to address the underlying problems facing the company. In 2012, Kodak filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy and restructured its operations, but has struggled to regain its position in the industry.
    I'm surprised that as a "photographer" you don't know this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by B0nkers View Post
    Kodak was an early developer of digital camera technology, but failed to anticipate the rapid growth of digital photography and the decline of traditional film. The company was slow to adapt and lost market share to competitors who embraced digital technology. Kodak was also slow to enter the digital printing market, which was another missed opportunity. Aggressive pursuit of patent infringement lawsuits did little to address the underlying problems facing the company. In 2012, Kodak filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy and restructured its operations, but has struggled to regain its position in the industry.
    I'm surprised that as a "photographer" you don't know this.
    I'm a shooter. I'm not a photography historian.

Junior Member(有D料到)
    You're the one talking about Kodak

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼)
    I didn't know that about kodak.

Didn't a similar thing happen to Xerox? They invited Steve Jobs to have a look at their new concept and that's how apple came about?
    My level of sarcasm depends on your level of stupidity.

Junior Member(有D料到)
    That was Anne Mulcahy who the board put in place. She refused to cut the R&D budget but cut the arse out of everything else

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼)
    Xerox, Netscape, Sony Walkman, Yahoo, Kodak, Nokia, Blackberry, Blockbuster et al, are all companies that captured and dominated a market but through complacency and lack of vision failed to adapt, evolve and drive and create new markets.
    And there's a lesson to be learnt (for shops and punters); our modus operandi, including techniques & behaviours must evolve and we must adapt to the changes driving the sexual market place. I could be wrong but I'm seeing an influx of sugar daddies hitting and disrupting the once predictable and passive RnT scene.

Junior Member(有D料到)
    Spot on bi connection

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast