Thread: How Hard is it to Learn How to Surf?

Baby Member(留言版初哥)

How Hard is it to Learn How to Surf?

If you have experience with other board sports like snowboarding or skateboarding, you may find surfing easier to pick up.

Surfing requires good upper body strength and core stability, so if you're not in great physical shape, you may find it more challenging.

While there is no age limit to learning how to surf, younger people may find it easier to learn due to their flexibility and lower center of gravity.

Awake surf collective

Baby Member(留言版初哥)
    This is somewhat comprehensive but I’m not sure that age is a thing in surfing I have seen some old people learn

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    what i recommend you do is watch some videos first and practice the motion of paddling and standing up, if you find this hard to do on dry land, don't try it out on the water,
    maybe a body board might be a way to go, you can lye down and just use your arms to paddle out to catch a wave

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼)
    Quote Originally Posted by jhonadam View Post
    If you have experience with other board sports like snowboarding or skateboarding, you may find surfing easier to pick up.
    Surfing requires good upper body strength and core stability, so if you're not in great physical shape, you may find it more challenging.
    While there is no age limit to learning how to surf, younger people may find it easier to learn due to their flexibility and lower center of gravity.
    Awake surf collective
    Being an ex clubbie surfing is more a younger man's sport. I think the biggest issue for older gentlemen is the pop up which is getting from the lying position to the standing position. Reading the surf, paddling out, wave selection and maneuvering can be learnt with practice. I've seen some older guys modify their technique to get into a kneeling position first then slide the front foot forward. Most older surfers are flexible, have good balance and do not have a big frame (or gut)
    Hey yes lots of older men surf but I suggest if you have dodgy knees or a bit of a gut a surf ski, boogie board or body surfing would be better.
    I used to water ski too but that won't be happening anytime soon.
    4FoW2

Baby Member(留言版初哥)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4FoW2 View Post
    Being an ex clubbie surfing is more a younger man's sport. I think the biggest issue for older gentlemen is the pop up which is getting from the lying position to the standing position. Reading the surf, paddling out, wave selection and maneuvering can be learnt with practice. I've seen some older guys modify their technique to get into a kneeling position first then slide the front foot forward. Most older surfers are flexible, have good balance and do not have a big frame (or gut)
    Hey yes lots of older men surf but I suggest if you have dodgy knees or a bit of a gut a surf ski, boogie board or body surfing would be better.
    I used to water ski too but that won't be happening anytime soon.
    4FoW2
    It's great to hear that you have experience with surfing and other water sports! Your observations about the challenges faced by older surfers are definitely valid, and it's good to know that some people have found ways to modify their technique to accommodate their physical limitations.

For those who may not be able to handle the demands of traditional surfing, alternative water sports like surf skiing, boogie boarding, or body surfing can be great options. These activities can still provide a lot of fun and excitement while being less physically demanding.

Overall, it's important for everyone to listen to their bodies and be aware of their limitations when participating in any physical activity, especially as they age. And regardless of the activity, it's never too late to learn something new or challenge oneself in new ways!

Baby Member(留言版初哥) Madison Charlie's Avatar
    Overall, surfing is not an extremely difficult sport to learn, but it does require practice and dedication. It's important to take lessons from an experienced instructor to make sure you stay safe and learn the proper techniques. With the right attitude and dedication, anyone can learn to surf!

Senior Member(無間使者)
    I really recommend doing a course at a surf school. I stuffed around with a board for years every now and again and at about 40 years of age did a 5 day course outside Sydney. We stayed in dorms outside the beach and surfed two hours in the morning and two hours in the arvo every day. They provided food and everything you need. 4 hours a day is a huge amount of surfing and was totally wrecked each night. However persisting like that each day really helped me get some surf fitness and muscle memory and was able to stand up and move on the wave by the end.

Another skill is being able to read the surf and the teachers really help with that.

The hard part was being twice as old as the other participants. However everyone was chilled with that and I didn't mind being surrounded by all that youthful energy. Have to be appropriate around all those young backpacker women too.

Baby Member(留言版初哥)

THE KEY REASON F....

The key reason for it being so difficult, is it doesn’t allow for the systematic repetition required to drill a new skill into the brain. You can’t simply go out and repeat standing up on a wave like you can drill a forehand tennis swing over and over, or a left jab right hook combo in a mirror.

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼)
    Quote Originally Posted by tiffanyfingsch View Post
    The key reason for it being so difficult, is it doesn’t allow for the systematic repetition required to drill a new skill into the brain. You can’t simply go out and repeat standing up on a wave like you can drill a forehand tennis swing over and over, or a left jab right hook combo in a mirror.
    All skills be it surfing or tennis strokes have variables that must be addressed before you can master that skill. In tennis there are variables like speed, spin, your body position and your position on the court that can affect your ability to master that skill.
    I would suggest learning to play tennis is much harder than learning to surf, skill wise. BYVMD
    4FoW2

Junior Member(有D料到)
    Like all things, it requires practice. Being well-trained in yoga helps, and also being shorter helps as you have a low centre of gravity. Being able to swim (specifically, freestyle) also helps.

The most annoying thing I find about learning how to surf at the beginning is because you are using a foam board those things are super heavy and you can't dunk under the surf with them.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    the OP is a bot that posted some chatGPT trivia to get hits to that website. please ignore it

Junior Member(有D料到)
    Actually isn’t hard , just make sure you are prepared by doing more endurance workout before going