Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whatsapp or Wechat?

Super Fans (忠實Fans)

Whatsapp or Wechat?

Never really used these apps.

But I am noticing more and more people I know (not just shops) use these.

Which one is better? Is one more secure than the other? Is there a way to register now without using a mobile?

Love to hear a few lines from people about which one they think is better and why.

Cheers,

- F0x

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Whatsapp gives your phone number out, wechat doesnt

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Junior Member(有D料到)
    Even if u book via wechat, some shops still ask for a mob number to be able to call u on if any changes to booking.

Just have a burner phone that you use for punting if you're concerned about privacy.

Junior Member(有D料到)
    Wechat, just easier to book and see rosters

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    Wechat is better, more features, better emojis, and most importantly it has moments which many shops use to update roster etc.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    wechat on a burner phone

Baby Member(留言版初哥)

Wechat is better to use

Wechat is better to use

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Quote Originally Posted by F0x View Post
    Never really used these apps.

Which one is better? Is one more secure than the other? Is there a way to register now without using a mobile?
    You say you want to use it general and not just for punting. Well it really depends on what your friends use it for. WeChat is almost exclusively use by ethnic Chinese folk. WhatsApp is more universal and although not yet in Australia as much a number of South East Asian countries use it for business.

As for security it really depends who you want to keep your data, Meta or Tencent. At the end of the day end to end hacking is difficult. You tend to get a little more scammers on WeChat just due to the fact that as it is more worldwide.

99 King Member (帝皇會員) GoldfishMan's Avatar
    Ther problem with using WhatsApp is, it is also widely used for non-punting activities. Some workplaces use it, and your friends and family probably use it to communicate with you too. Not a good idea to use an app that you use for all these other purposes, for your secretive activities like punting or SB mongering. There's a high probability that you have to "show screen" to someone, know what I mean?

I use WeChat and Line, and my Line app is almost purely for "playing with girls", heheh.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldfishMan View Post
    Ther problem with using WhatsApp is, it is also widely used for non-punting activities. Some workplaces use it, and your friends and family probably use it to communicate with you too. Not a good idea to use an app that you use for all these other purposes, for your secretive activities like punting or SB mongering. There's a high probability that you have to "show screen" to someone, know what I mean?

I use WeChat and Line, and my Line app is almost purely for "playing with girls", heheh.
    Pro tip

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼)
    Wait, so nobody here uses Kakao? Dun Koreans WLs use that predominantly

Quote Originally Posted by sukeong View Post
    Wait, so nobody here uses Kakao? Dun Koreans WLs use that predominantly
    I use that too but not many contacts on there. A lot more on Line and WeChat.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Wechat has translate too 👌

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼)
    I have 2 wechat accounts, one punting, one personal.

You dont want to meet a Chinese girl and share wechat and she grabs your phone and she sees all these shops on there

Junior Member(有D料到)
    Wait can friends see friends list?? Oop

Junior Member(有D料到)
    There is a punter guide somewhere on the forum to setup WeChat somewhere that blocks everything so people can’t find you unless you add them. But if you fuck up you fuck up

Baby Member(留言版初哥)
    I was going to ask a similar thing. I think you need to make sure the app doesn’t have access to your contacts list?

I’ve been thinking of getting WeChat because it seems to be so widely used, but I have people I wouldn’t want to know I’m using it. So hiding it from phone contacts is key.

A second question. Is it true you often need an existing member to verify you after you join? That would be a potential roadblock for me.

Junior Member(有D料到)
    WeChat is commonly used in the Chinese communities since most other social networks are banned in their home countries (e.g. FB, WhatsApp, etc). KakaoTalk is predominantly used in the Korean communities.

Quote Originally Posted by Stubbage View Post
    Wait can friends see friends list?? Oop
    No they can't.....

Baby Member(留言版初哥)
    It is so easy,you just use both of them than you choose what you like

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast