Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weekend Roundup: Insomnia is real. What do you guys do about it?

Baby Member(留言版初哥)
    I think caffeine is causing this effect.
    Try to move to decaf.
    Before sleep stop screen time put mobil in aeroplane mode and far from reach.
    Do deep breath in and out you will fall sleep in 5-10 min.

i've been there (currently here now) ... i will generally fall asleep early afternoon on a sunday because i tend to get a lot done during the day (washing cars, mowing the lawn, cleaning the house inside out). for me, its the afternoon nap on sunday that kills me.

i'll do either of the following:

1. go for a walk
    2. put on a documentary - this works for me.. documentary can be on anything
    3. go to the local knock shop - laugh all you want, but sometimes its that little bit of cardio that will make me tired again
    4. probably the best option, coupled with option 1 - meditate. sometimes if i cant sleep, its because i have too much going on and i cant stop thinking about certain things

personally, i stay away from melatonin as i don't want to introduce a synthetic booster into a naturally produced hormone. i've heard that some people that have taken melatonin, now rely on melatonin just to fall asleep
    ----------------------------------------------------------

Okaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay
    Time to turn over

Super Fans (忠實Fans) Footballpunter's Avatar
    Thanks guys for all the suggestions. I cut down on my coffee intake and seems to help last night.

Junior Member(有D料到)
    My sleep has been poor as well for years. I keep analysing the past or thinking/ worrying about the future.
    I'm going to start some of these strategies tonight.

99 Premium Member (特級會員)
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade86 View Post
    My sleep has been poor as well for years. I keep analysing the past or thinking/ worrying about the future.
    I'm going to start some of these strategies tonight.
    Worrying is like a rocking chair, it gives you something to do but it doesn't get you anywhere.

But I get it, every so often I sit bolt upright at the thought of getting old and dying. It's a ridiculous fear, I mean I have no fear of what it was like before I was conceived, so why worry about after I die? It's the same thing, I will simply cease to exist..

But still...

99 Premium Member (特級會員) rooter's Avatar
    Everyone says to avoid coffee in the evening which is 100% correct.
    But alcohol in the evening or a big meal in the evening are just as bad for sleep.
    Try to avoid if you can.
    Eat at least 5 hours before going to bed or have just a light dinner if you go to bed early.
    And avoid alcohol a few hours before going to bed too. Alcohol will temporarily sedate and relax you but later in the night it will keep you awake.

Junior Member(有D料到)
    I've been having the same issue. Often I will be trying to sleep the whole night, and by the time I know it it's morning. I'm guessing it's because my life's pretty empty like someone else here said. Well if it was easy to fix then I wouldn't be having sleep issues.

Most of the time the night after a punt I sleep like a log from all the feel good and relaxing chemicals. It may also be partly due to being tired from not sleeping the night before from the excitement of punting the next day lol.

When I go for long hikes (a few hours) I'm usually dead tired but mentally energised having spent time in nature, and I sleep really well that night. I should do this more often instead of punting...

If I'm not falling asleep after a while then I probably know trying harder to sleep won't work. A few times I've gotten up and gone out for a walk, combined with walking meditation. Being mindful of each step and taking in the night atmosphere.

Good luck with it bro.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Watch an action movie while laying on the bed. It needs to be an interesting movie and not boring because you're trying to keep your mind focused and occupied on the movie and not let your mind wander off. I always pass out within 5 minutes

99 King Member (帝皇會員) GoldfishMan's Avatar
    I used to have very bad insomnia for long periods at a time. The damned thing becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. After getting it the first night, I get "scared" of going to bed the next night and getting insomnia again. This fear ends up being what keeps me awake.
    The worst thing is when I keep getting up to check the time, seeing the hours pass by and not getting any sleep. Before I know it, it's already dawn!

What I found to be very effective is to mix up my day a bit to break the "spell". Do something that you don't often do, like go watch a movie in the cinema, go for a long walk, drive around aimlessly. Reading something in bed also helps a lot. Get a tablet or just do it on your phone. I tend to read news and Wikipedia, they are very effective. Sometimes I fall asleep holding the device up and it falls right on my face!

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    Good diet, no sugared drinks ( they're fucking poison ) , no caffeine after 3pm, plenty of water, hot shower before bed, camomile tea & then read a boring book. You'll be in the land of nod in no time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12