Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who would vote yes for this 1946 referendum?

Super Fans (忠實Fans)

Who would vote yes for this 1946 referendum?

Just another fun referendum discussion topic.
    Who would vote yes now to the 1946 referendum?

Question
    Do you approve of the proposed law for the alteration of the Constitution entitled 'Constitution Alteration (Social Services) 1946'?

Section 51 of the Australian Constitution grants the commonwealth legislative power. Prior to this amendment the only social services provision was s51(xxiii) that gave power to legislate for invalid and old-age pensions. The proposal was to introduce s51(xxiiiA), which reads:[1]

(xxiiiA) the provision of maternity allowances, widows' pensions, child endowment, unemployment, pharmaceutical, sickness and hospital benefits, medical and dental services (but not so as to authorize any form of civil conscription), benefits to students and family allowances;

It passed btw which is why we have a safety net that reduces crime, lowers sickness and death rates etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1946_A...cial_Services)

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    "Where's the detail?"

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼)
    It would pass today as well.
    Australians are fair minded people

This simple 1946 referendum proposal didn't divide the country based on race. It also discussed proven policies that already existed overseas and were shown to be very effective. Welfare policies in Europe including the UK did not divide people based on race, and provided fair financial support based on need

I like Martin Luther King's most famous quote

"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

While I question the PM competence with leading a failed referendum, I am sensible enough to see everyone's good deeds

So I agree with part of his speech today
    "We can and must do better for our First Nations Peoples"

So let's now create the Voice by legislation today, see if it works, and then we can all restart the debate

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼)
    Quote Originally Posted by frisson View Post

This simple 1946 referendum proposal didn't divide the country based on race. It also discussed proven policies that already existed overseas and were shown to be very effective. Welfare policies in Europe including the UK did not divide people based on race, and provided fair financial support based on need

"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

While I question the PM competence with leading a failed referendum, I am sensible enough to see everyone's good deeds

So let's now create the Voice by legislation today, see if it works, and then we can all restart the debate
    I forgot to vote. Will I get fined?

Banned
    Did albo spruik it?

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost2hauntU View Post
    Don't worry bro, $75 won't make a fucken dent on the $450m splurge.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Probably not. You'd have Dutton and the Murdoch press spouting falsehoods about what it's about, scaring people into voting No. Because it's all about scoring political points, not about the welfare of the nation.

Apparently not.

99 King Member (帝皇會員) GoldfishMan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost2hauntU View Post
    $55 bucks inclusive of GST.

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼)
    Quote Originally Posted by fted View Post
    Probably not. You'd have Dutton and the Murdoch press spouting falsehoods about what it's about, scaring people into voting No. Because it's all about scoring political points, not about the welfare of the nation.

Apparently not.
    Fucking hell...here we go....blame Murdoch again....I suppose he was with Captain Cook in 1770 and planted the English flag, or perhaps he led the crusaders through the Middle East?

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼)
    Quote Originally Posted by kingwally View Post
    Fucking hell...here we go....blame Murdoch again....I suppose he was with Captain Cook in 1770 and planted the English flag, or perhaps he led the crusaders through the Middle East?
    Lol! I'd be blaming the Dutch for everything.

The Dutch where the first white fellas to land in Oz back in 1606 and subsequently nailed a plate to a tree (hartogs plate). 100+ years later the pomms said fuck it, and planted their flag on terra firma.

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldfishMan View Post
    $55 bucks inclusive of GST.
    Just able to do a Rnt for 30min without extra. What a waste.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Fucking hell...here we go....blame Murdoch again..
    Oh, I didn't realise NewsCorp had been campaigning for the Yes vote. Not sure how I missed that.

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent888 View Post
    Did albo spruik it?
    Yep of course. In 1946

Super Fans (忠實Fans)

I highly doubt it would pass today since the LNP would oppose it and spread disinformation. Governments used to be more bipartisan but now it's just whatever Labor proposes, we oppose it. And I don't see how this referendum was "dividing the country based on race."
    Lol at quoting Martin Luther King Jr though!

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼)
    Agree. You've lost the argument once you use the words Left, Right, racist, Right wing press, Murdoch and countless other ways to attack a person or the press, and not address your opponents argument

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼)
    Quote Originally Posted by ReginaldBubbles View Post
    (Albo spuiked). Yep of course. In 1946
    The person running the country had a shocker. For the sake of Australians, I hope this PM doesn't turn to sh-t everything he touches

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    Agree. You've lost the argument once you use the words Left, Right, racist, Right wing press, Murdoch and countless other ways to attack a person or the press, and not address your opponents argument
    So it's impossible to critique the Murdoch press? One of the most powerful propaganda machines in the western world? Are Rupert and Lachlan Murdoch elites? And it's also impossible to point out racism??

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼)
    Quote Originally Posted by ReginaldBubbles View Post
    So it's impossible to critique the Murdoch press? One of the most powerful propaganda machines in the western world? Are Rupert and Lachlan Murdoch elites? And it's also impossible to point out racism??
    Critique anyone you like after the vote. You are welcome to make as many excuses as you like

The Australian public made a decision and they usually make the right decisions

There were endless media types on the ABC and commercial media who supported Yes. Yes team also had a huge marketing budget, way outspending the No campaign

The PM also blamed the media. Unfortunately if you can't control the message, then you have no chance of persuading millions of voters to agree with you. Qantas and other big businesses couldnt provide a compelling message

I like Jacinta Price's quote:
    "We were accused of misinformation on the NO side. The PM had a far more serious criticism - no information"

True

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Ahh...yes...the Murdoch Press...
    Occasionally I buy the Telegraph just to see if they've employed any actual journalists but I'm always disappointed.
    I struggle to find any real news..all opinion pieces and advertisements.

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼)
    Quote Originally Posted by LBW1959 View Post
    Ahh...yes...the Murdoch Press...
    Occasionally I buy the Telegraph just to see if they've employed any actual journalists but I'm always disappointed.
    I struggle to find any real news..all opinion pieces and advertisements.
    So you voted yes. Any ideas why the country voted no?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast