Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who would vote yes for this 1946 referendum?

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼)
    Quote Originally Posted by carmen farquis View Post
    How would anyone know there was mis information if there was no information.
    That's a great question. Did you think you were given enough information to understand how the Voice would work?

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼)
    Quote Originally Posted by Double_Adapter View Post
    The concept of dis, mis and no information can be quite confusing and in punting terms I'll use Mimi @ Burwood as an example.

Disinformation:
    Mimi is back, working from her old place at Burwood, and now offers full service

Misinformation:
    Mimi said she might be coming back to Sydney in Nov-Dec.

No Information:
    Mimi...

And I guess this is why the referendum failed.
    I love it.
    Bringing it back to terms punters understand

May I have a go?

Disinformation:
    Lily could be working today. She come later. Come and see

Misinformation:
    Lily working today (when she is away). Come and see

No Information:
    ""How does your roster work, give me details please??"
    "Come to our shop and see who is here. Can't tell you right now. Come and see"

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharphorse View Post
    To be fair Murdoch looks so old he was probably the one who nailed Jesus to the cross
    Both Rudd and Turnbull blamed Murdoch for being knifed in the back by their own parties. Nice scapegoat

Murdoch was the reason I got a speeding fine

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼)
    Wait until you hear about the last guy we had who came up with this scheme called robodebt and also oversaw 38 billion dollars in payments to business owners who didn’t need it and was never recovered
    Classic case of distracting from the current discussion

Albo royally f_cked up, but look over there !!

99 King Member (帝皇會員) GoldfishMan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by frisson View Post

Finding it hard to buy into your argument that Albo was responsible for the failure of this referendum when you put it against our track record of 0/9 successful referendums in the last 47 years. Only 8/45 successful overall. Out of that 8 successful, I count only 2 that were of great importance, the rest were superficial at best.

Are we really "united"? Do we really stand as one? The pattern of outcomes in the referendum failures after WW II paint a different picture. There are deep divisions everywhere. City folks vs regional folks. State vs state. Race, education level, wealth, income, tree lover, animal lover, meat eater or vegan. You name it. It's as if people are continuously trying to find new ways to create another division.

Up to this point, past referendum failures have been because of state rivalry. NSW and VIC would vote for Yes, the other states counter them with No. This time around, it appears to be city vs regional. What's next?

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldfishMan View Post
    Finding it hard to buy into your argument that Albo was responsible for the failure of this referendum when you put it against our track record of 0/9 successful referendums in the last 47 years. Only 8/45 successful overall. Out of that 8 successful, I count only 2 that were of great importance, the rest were superficial at best
    Australians would have definitely voted Yes for Aboriginal recognition in the Constitution. They want to address to Gap in Indigenous health and education

Referendums will pass if Australia can trust a well defined question

But they don't like to be given No Information in a rushed manner. Even Noel Pearson, a famous Indigenous spokesman, stated he produced an actual Voice model, but Albo ignored him and kept things vague ! I'm not making this up! Noel was taken surprise by how rushed Albo was

Albo acknowledges the 2023 referendum failure was his fault

It was also was sneaky to have two questions and not explain how the Voice would be a committee that would work when all other committed get bogged down with bureaucrats who are all talk and no results

Noone explained how the Voice that deals directly with the Ministers and Cabinet works

Noone explained - would the Voice appeal to the High Court if the Voice felt it was not being listened to

Senior Member(無間使者)
    The yes vote was leading the polls at the start of the year.

Imagine losing a soccer match with a 2-0 lead at half time.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ReginaldBubbles View Post
    Just another fun referendum discussion topic.
    Who would vote yes now to the 1946 referendum?

Question
    Do you approve of the proposed law for the alteration of the Constitution entitled 'Constitution Alteration (Social Services) 1946'?

Section 51 of the Australian Constitution grants the commonwealth legislative power. Prior to this amendment the only social services provision was s51(xxiii) that gave power to legislate for invalid and old-age pensions. The proposal was to introduce s51(xxiiiA), which reads:[1]

(xxiiiA) the provision of maternity allowances, widows' pensions, child endowment, unemployment, pharmaceutical, sickness and hospital benefits, medical and dental services (but not so as to authorize any form of civil conscription), benefits to students and family allowances;

It passed btw which is why we have a safety net that reduces crime, lowers sickness and death rates etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1946_A...cial_Services)
    Couldn’t you have asked this question back in 1946? Why did you wait 80 years?

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼)
    Quote Originally Posted by thefatness View Post

That's right. All Australians are fair minded and would have voted Yes.

But Albo's messaging was vague and elusive
    Australians made the correct decision on polling day

Indigenous supporters now suffer because Albo rushed things without engaging with the population

The dirty secret is that Albo and the Elites who surrounded him, were completely out of touch with mainstream Australia on this issue who rebelled against not enough detail

Like a salesman trying to sell you a DVD player, noone trusted the PM

Banned
    Perhaps if he had better dental work?

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼)

Another soccer analogy

'Yes' campaign team
    Played in well funded gear with Qantas and the four 4 banks paying millions to advertise the team. Leading Yes campaigner Marcia Langton scored a few silly own goals and had no idea how to win a game
    (Google: Langton called people racists)

'No' campaign team
    Played barefoot but had the two best players in the country - Jacinta Price and Warren Mundine

'Yes' team were 2 goals ahead in the first 5 minutes

No campaign comfortably won
    The final score was 6 - 4

'Yes' team captain, Albo, accepted the responsibility for the massive loss. He rushed things and was out of touch

Banned
    Did he shed a tear ?

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent888 View Post
    Did he shed a tear ?
    Albo was very upset
    The entire country was upset. There were no winners with this

The PM f_cked up a great opportunity to address the Gap, by not being more detailed with the referendum proposal

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Both Rudd and Turnbull blamed Murdoch for being knifed in the back by their own parties. Nice scapegoat

Murdoch was the reason I got a speeding fine
    Murdoch does control our government like a puppeteer though. I do think Rudd and Turnbull are hypocrites though because they were fine with it until Murdoch helped sink them with his media outlets. I would have to double check this but I think Julia Gillard might be the only prime minster we’ve had since the 80s who didn’t have an organised dinner with Murdoch on the campaign trail and her only victory in 2010 was barely one at all. I’m sure if a lot of people were as rich as Murdoch they’d use their media companies to influence elections. What good is power if you can’t abuse it, right?

Senior Member(無間使者)

The reason I brought it up wasn’t to change the topic. Just wanted to point out the people upset over Albo wasting 450 million on this referendum were looking the other way when Liberals pissed 38 billion down the drain. It’s one of many double standards. Didn’t see Andrew Bolt calling on Frydenberg to resign then

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼)
    Murdoch does control our government like a puppeteer though. I do think Rudd and Turnbull are hypocrites though because they were fine with it until Murdoch helped sink them with his media outlets. I would have to double check this but I think Julia Gillard might be the only prime minster we’ve had since the 80s who didn’t have an organised dinner with Murdoch on the campaign trail and her only victory in 2010 was barely one at all. I’m sure if a lot of people were as rich as Murdoch they’d use their media companies to influence elections. What good is power if you can’t abuse it, right?
    You are very reasonable with your points. Life isn't black and white

Blaming people like Murdoch and avoiding debating the actual issue is to be avoided

Noone reads newspapers anymore. Ask anyone aged less than 30 and they will laugh at you

As I said, Murdoch made me get a speeding ticket. Damned Murdoch!

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼)
    The reason I brought it up wasn’t to change the topic. Just wanted to point out the people upset over Albo wasting 450 million on this referendum were looking the other way when Liberals pissed 38 billion down the drain. It’s one of many double standards. Didn’t see Andrew Bolt calling on Frydenberg to resign then
    Both are terrible wastes of money. True one is at a far larger scale and I totally agree with your point. You are very balanced in your discussion

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼)
    Julia Gillard might be the only prime minster we’ve had since the 80s who didn’t have an organised dinner with Murdoch on the campaign trail
    Let's face it. If anyone was untalented with no merit, and were in Federal politics, most would invite Satan himself to dinner (Murdoch is a businessman by the way) if it secured a position after the next election. That's life

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Another soccer analogy

'Yes' campaign team
    Played in well funded gear with Qantas and the four 4 banks paying millions to advertise the team. Leading Yes campaigner Marcia Langton scored a few silly own goals and had no idea how to win a game
    (Google: Langton called people racists)

'No' campaign team
    Played barefoot but had the two best players in the country - Jacinta Price and Warren Mundine

'Yes' team were 2 goals ahead in the first 5 minutes

No campaign comfortably won
    The final score was 6 - 4

'Yes' team captain, Albo, accepted the responsibility for the massive loss. He rushed things and was out of touch
    Spot on bro. The drag queen singing you’re the voice was another own goal.

The 6-4 is also an accurate depiction of how Australia voted

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼)
    Spot on bro. The drag queen singing you’re the voice was another own goal.

The 6-4 is also an accurate depiction of how Australia voted
    Sh_t bro. I didn't know this

The Yes campaign had a drag queen singer? Nothing against drag queens, but did that really happen??

How does a drag queen convince undecided Western Sydney voters? What a clusterf_ck! The reckoning get worse ever day!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123