Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who would vote yes for this 1946 referendum?

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    Quote Originally Posted by frisson View Post
    Critique anyone you like after the vote. You are welcome to make as many excuses as you like

The Australian public made a decision and they usually make the right decisions

There were endless media types on the ABC and commercial media who supported Yes. Yes team also had a huge marketing budget, way outspending the No campaign

The PM also blamed the media. Unfortunately if you can't control the message, then you have no chance of persuading millions of voters to agree with you. Qantas and other big businesses couldnt provide a compelling message

I like Jacinta Price's quote:
    "We were accused of misinformation on the NO side. The PM had a far more serious criticism - no information"

True
    I disagree that there was no information but do you really think misinformation is far better??

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Quote Originally Posted by kingwally View Post
    Fucking hell...here we go....blame Murdoch again....I suppose he was with Captain Cook in 1770 and planted the English flag, or perhaps he led the crusaders through the Middle East?
    To be fair he looks so old he was probably the one who nailed Jesus to the cross

Senior Member(無間使者)
    The person running the country had a shocker. For the sake of Australians, I hope this PM doesn't turn to sh-t everything he touches
    Wait until you hear about the last guy we had who came up with this scheme called robodebt and also oversaw 38 billion dollars in payments to business owners who didn’t need it and was never recovered

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼)
    Cant imagine a worse mistake than disappointing our indigenous brothers so incompetently by convincing the majority of the country to vote against an indigenous voice, when 12 months ago everyone was willing to vote Yes

But you are correct, the robodebt scandal is a close second

99 King Member (帝皇會員) GoldfishMan's Avatar
    So any ideas how to rid ourselves of all these incompetent leaders in government?

Maybe we ought to explore "technocracy" instead of "representative democracy".
    Decision makers in government would then need to be technically skilled to be able to take a position, not just be able to win popular votes and get elected like it is now.

For example, someone like Brad Hazzard would never have gotten the Minister of Health job if we were a technocracy. The guy was a solicitor, doesn't make sense to let him make decisions pertaining to healthcare. Instead, an elected Pollie with a background in healthcare, like a doctor, would get the job.

Although, I have no idea how a PM would be chosen using that kind of system.

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    Cant imagine a worse mistake than disappointing our indigenous brothers so incompetently by convincing the majority of the country to vote against an indigenous voice, when 12 months ago everyone was willing to vote Yes

But you are correct, the robodebt scandal is a close second
    Well you could've voted yes.

And 38 billion dollars to companies who didn't need it! 38 BILLION!!! Imagine the possibilities! we could've had more than 80 referendums in one year!

Senior Member(無間使者)
    So you voted yes. Any ideas why the country voted no?
    I did vote Yes, and curiously so did the majority of my safe Liberal electorate. It seems a bit counter-intuitive...many of the safe Liberal seats voted Yes, and nearly all of the safe Labor seats voted No, apart from Albo's.
    I think the overwhelming No vote was because people can't see how the Voice would actually improve anything on the ground.
    I agree that the referendum should have been 2 questions: 1 for constitutional recognition and 1 for the Voice proposal.
    Constitutional recognition is really only symbolic but emotional symbolism is a powerful thing that could be harnessed to improve a lot of lives.

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    I like Jacinta Price's quote:
    "We were accused of misinformation on the NO side. The PM had a far more serious criticism - no information"

True
    You actually believe this?? Misinformation is better than no information?

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼)
    Quote Originally Posted by ReginaldBubbles View Post
    Yes. The feedback from the majority of the voting population on Saturday was that there was not enough information provided

And as history showed, the majority of the population voted No for not enough information. Thats what happened

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    Yes. The feedback from the majority of the voting population on Saturday was that there was not enough information provided

And as history showed, the majority of the population voted No for not enough information. Thats what happened
    But even if you think that, how the fuck is misinformation better??

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    This is what history shows. This is what happened.

https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%...10-p5e3fu.html

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼)
    This is what history shows. This is what happened.

https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%...10-p5e3fu.html
    Does this article lay the blame on the referendum failure mainly on Mr Albanese or does it blame Murdoch ? I doubt many people get their news from newspapers anymore

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    Does this article lay the blame on the referendum failure mainly on Mr Albanese or does it blame Murdoch ? I doubt many people get their news from newspapers anymore
    I mean you could read it. And I don't know why you're so protective of Murdoch.

Quote from the article:
    "Inglis told supporters that phone canvassing – using a tool called CallHub employed by successful campaigns in Europe and the United States – was integral to Advance’s efforts.
    If 250 people attend a phone calling session, Inglis said, they could reach 15,000 so-called “soft” voters yet to make a firm decision."

No campaign focused mainly on this and social media.

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    But even if you think that, how the fuck is misinformation better??
    Seriously though?

Senior Member(無間使者)
    I do seriously doubt that the 1946 referendum would pass today. It passed then on the end of a world war and the depression. People still remembered what it was like to be destitute and how easy it was for them to become so. They realised that THEY needed a safety net and so voted it in.

Since then we have had decades of (relative) economic security and politicians on both sides (but mostly the coalition) demonising "dole bludgers" and welfare "rorters". Today those fallicies still run deep with many people and this would count against an affirmative vote. People tend to only vote yes if they believe it won't harm or effect them if it is about a group of "other" people. That is why it always easier to argue a no case in a debate.

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    Quote Originally Posted by uglyphil View Post
    I do seriously doubt that the 1946 referendum would pass today. It passed then on the end of a world war and the depression. People still remembered what it was like to be destitute and how easy it was for them to become so. They realised that THEY needed a safety net and so voted it in.

Since then we have had decades of (relative) economic security and politicians on both sides (but mostly the coalition) demonising "dole bludgers" and welfare "rorters". Today those fallicies still run deep with many people and this would count against an affirmative vote. People tend to only vote yes if they believe it won't harm or effect them if it is about a group of "other" people. That is why it always easier to argue a no case in a debate.
    Yep. And they didn't have social media or hyper-partisanship. We're all done for...

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼)
    You can analyse, discuss, debate and assess 'misinformation' and 'disinformation', but 'no information' now that's fucken hard to wrap your head around!

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼)
    Quote Originally Posted by Double_Adapter View Post
    You can analyse, discuss, debate and assess 'misinformation' and 'disinformation', but 'no information' now that's fucken hard to wrap your head around!
    Exactly. The majority of Australians voted No. That tells you No information was a bigger issue than Misinformation

The PM has accepted the responsibility for the failure, he acknowledges that his lack of proper information and proper consultation was a fatal blow to his rushed referendum

Senior Member(無間使者)
    How would anyone know there was mis information if there was no information.

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼)
    Quote Originally Posted by carmen farquis View Post
    How would anyone know there was mis information if there was no information.
    Good point!

The concept of dis, mis and no information can be quite confusing and in punting terms I'll use Mimi @ Burwood as an example.

Disinformation:
    Mimi is back, working from her old place at Burwood, and now offers full service

Misinformation:
    Mimi said she might be coming back to Sydney in Nov-Dec.

No Information:
    Mimi...

And I guess this is why the referendum failed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast