Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Market Wrap

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼)
    You haven't said where you are going

99 King Member (帝皇會員) GoldfishMan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by frisson View Post
    You haven't said where you are going
    SE Asia, bro. At least the food will be good.

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldfishMan View Post
    SE Asia, bro. At least the food will be good.
    Air quality not so good

99 King Member (帝皇會員) GoldfishMan's Avatar
    Air quality not so good
    Haha.... Fark air quality, I'd rather live in a place where the food is good and not a second rate photocopy of the real thing costing 7X the price. Most countries in SE Asia are good for punting too!

I'd rather live in countries where the governments at least do something to safeguard the basic necessities of their citizens, rather than lead them down a path where they will end up being slaves to the wealthy or the profiteering banks.

A fine example of what Australia is about is the "Wakefield scheme", masterminded by a Edward Gibbon Wakefield, that created Adelaide as we know it. Check it out if you have time. The crux of this scheme was to stop giving land away to settlers (that's what Aussie colonial Govs used to do) but instead to price it at such a high price that skilled workers would need to go to Adelaide and work there for many years before they could afford the land.

Fast forward to now, the Gov is doing the same thing only under the guise of "free market", with a few "helping hands" of this grant or that scheme to "help" homebuyers buy a home. All smoke and mirrors, it's the same shitty carrot-dangling trick all over again.

In an earlier post, you said that pollies didn't care enough about housing for 10-20 years. Why would they? Their tenures in office don't even go close to that length of time. The entire democratic system we have is designed for pollies to get in, make a fast buck, and GTFO. Who would care what happens in 10-20 years if their time in office could potentially be as short as 4 years?

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼)
    Your concerns are realistic. Means a lot of people will be wage slaves in this country, particularly if they are renting after the age of 65
    I can't imagine the Federal Government, having the funds, to bail out everyone poor and struggling with rent

Banned
    Your concerns are realistic. Means a lot of people will be wage slaves in this country, particularly if they are renting after the age of 65
    I can't imagine the Federal Government, having the funds, to bail out everyone poor and struggling with rent
    The government is trying to make universities and corporations happy by fattening their pockets. When their pockets get fatter, taxes get bigger. So government's pockets as get bigger. But all of this at the cost of taxpayers.

They'll wait until someone gets voted out, then attempt to repair the problem and introduce a new one in the background.

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJones View Post
    They'll wait until someone gets voted out, then attempt to repair the problem and introduce a new one in the background.
    I have never seen any government fixing anything apart from Operation Sovereign Borders ( yes we had one new boat sneaked in last week) but all the issues and problems are basically bouncing back. Just take housing, every government promises to fix the housing affordability, it has almost turned into a joke!

Banned
    Tell me. How is the government going to house people if they keep giving money away to overseas countries?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent888 View Post
    Tell me. How is the government going to house people if they keep giving money away to overseas countries?
    Introduce another wave of COVID to kill off the pensioners and aged care residents I guess.

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼)
    Introduce another wave of COVID to kill off the pensioners and aged care residents I guess.
    COVID was a natural event not related to a lab, and was not a coverup
    We were lucky we had good vaccines that worked. Other countries weren't so lucky

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼)
    The government is trying to make universities and corporations happy by fattening their pockets. When their pockets get fatter, taxes get bigger. So government's pockets as get bigger. But all of this at the cost of taxpayers.

That's right. The Federal Government is rushing through hundreds of thousands of foreign students, most who come to Sydney or Melbourne, and absolutely swamp the rental market. Have no problem with foreign students, just there is nowhere now for people to live

Banned
    COVID was a natural event not related to a lab, and was not a coverup
    We were lucky we had good vaccines that worked. Other countries weren't so lucky
    Don't worry, SARS3 will magically appear somewhere.

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent888 View Post
    I don't think the foreign aid is the main problem here. In fact Australia's contribution is one of the lowest in the OECD group (1.49 percent comes from Australia) so we are not really generous even if you consider population and GNI, and I'm not in any sense trying to say we have to be generous unless there is national interest behind it. You can check it here www.devpolicy.org The problem IMHO is lacking perspective into future. Massive migration and poor infrastructure.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Don't worry, SARS3 will magically appear somewhere.
    There's been some report of a mysterious pneumonia cases in China. Timing is too convenient as last time as it was leading to a US election

Banned
    “Trust no one” as Furry Fox Mulder once said. Though I do prefer the cigarette smoking man.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234