Thread: Thailand taxing foreign income from residents

Junior Member(有D料到)

Thailand taxing foreign income from residents

Has anyone been following the new tax law from the Thai government that they want to tax foreign income for residents who has lived in the country for at least 180 days in the year?

There's still a lot of details missing and I only know the basics of it. But I'm wondering what if I were to send money to a friend and withdraw the cash from an ATM? Or simply withdraw cash from my own ATM card? Maybe they don't really care about how I bring the money and go straight to source of my income. That means they need ATO's cooperation?

My plan is to live there in the near future or make my stays much longer than I do now.

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    I heard that a large number of people who fled Russia are living in Thai now and doing start up businesses. I think this is something to do with the new tax. To bad for those punters who want to live in Thai.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Just remember everything is for sale in Thailand, especially things like assessments

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JSteel96 View Post
    I heard that a large number of people who fled Russia are living in Thai now and doing start up businesses. I think this is something to do with the new tax. To bad for those punters who want to live in Thai.
    Too many Russians in touristy areas these days. And these are blonde hair blue eyed Russians who sees their Asian counterparts from Siberia as inferior. Most of them had already converted their money to USD and stashed it overseas so they can run as soon as Putin fucks them in the arse.

Many of them are country hopping and eventually landing back in Thailand and Bali. Good thing during the war mobilization, many of my people living in the Russian border were granted asylum in the US. The US government have more sympathy towards Russians of Asian descent rather than blonde hair blue eyes Russians.

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJones View Post
    Too many Russians in touristy areas these days. And these are blonde hair blue eyed Russians who sees their Asian counterparts from Siberia as inferior. Most of them had already converted their money to USD and stashed it overseas so they can run as soon as Putin fucks them in the arse.

Many of them are country hopping and eventually landing back in Thailand and Bali. Good thing during the war mobilization, many of my people living in the Russian border were granted asylum in the US. The US government have more sympathy towards Russians of Asian descent rather than blonde hair blue eyes Russians.
    Yes it would be difficult position living under the Pootin regime. Vanishing Generals, politicians falling out windows & plane crashes. I heard they now accepting women into the Russian army. I'd hate to be in that war as drones and missiles kill the average infantry man these days, if that don't do it, there is in fighting, no food on the Russian side, & the Ukrainian winter. Russian soldiers fleeing the battle front get shot by their own side. Who ever left Pootins Russia before this war made a smart move. But being in limbo hoping between countries is not good. The war could drag on for years. Its costing us all dearly with all the billions in support for Ukraine its affected the cost of living. But yeh they are all taking over parts of Thai on tourist visas. But they had no choice flee or join Russian army. And in the end if this turns into WW3 we are all fucked. Get as much Asian Milf pussy whilst we still can.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    This was shown recently, influx of Russians to Phuket and increasing since the war but benefits not reaching the locals. They have their own ecosystem there.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-11-...uket/103097700

Banned
    Russia's military recruiting tactic has now fallen significantly as to forceful recruitment and enticing those from the poorer regions. I met a Ukrainian man here and as soon as he's heard of my ethnic background, nothing nice comes out of his mouth because he sees us as Putin's dogs that ravaged his country. I don't have the power to tell my own people not to join the war - it is the same as the Japanese civilians who were forcefully recruited for WW2 and told that they have to die abroad, otherwise they'd be shamed if they show their faces back home.

The Thai govt is doing a good job if they're taxing those Russians. They've been severely impacted by COVID and the recent inflation, so it's time these Russians pay back for the inflation they've caused.

Junior Member(有D料到)
    There was a good point raised by an expat. He told me he doesn't mind paying the taxes so long he gets the same benefits as locals do. I don't know what they are but health care was mentioned.

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wank_Somemore View Post
    There was a good point raised by an expat. He told me he doesn't mind paying the taxes so long he gets the same benefits as locals do. I don't know what they are but health care was mentioned.
    Free condoms are part of Thai healthcare?

Banned
    Many countries will drop an expensive medical bill on foreigners who don't have medical insurance if they're hospitalised or just seeing a GP. That's why here in Australia it is compulsory for students to acquire medical insurances as a requirement for their student visa.

Other than that, legal aid just in case you get placed in the monkey cage wrongfully because lawyers would triple charge foreign clients with the "guarantee to win".

99 King Member (帝皇會員)
    Has anyone been following the new tax law from the Thai government that they want to tax foreign income for residents who has lived in the country for at least 180 days in the year?

There's still a lot of details missing and I only know the basics of it. But I'm wondering what if I were to send money to a friend and withdraw the cash from an ATM? Or simply withdraw cash from my own ATM card? Maybe they don't really care about how I bring the money and go straight to source of my income. That means they need ATO's cooperation?

My plan is to live there in the near future or make my stays much longer than I do now.
    There are similar rules for foreigners in Australia.

Generally, you can be taxed on overseas "earnings" which are not taxed in the source country. Transferring your savings from one country to another should not be considered as "income".

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiegaigin View Post
    There are similar rules for foreigners in Australia.

Generally, you can be taxed on overseas "earnings" which are not taxed in the source country. Transferring your savings from one country to another should not be considered as "income".
    Most countries will have an agreement to avoid double taxation. Not sure if Thailand and Russia is one of them, if not then that way it'll cause the Russians to panic.

Transferring your savings through international wire has its limits before a flag is triggered by the central bank of that country. Also, it won't get flagged as income if the sender is a private bank account rather than company bank account.

In Malaysia there is a MM2H visa that requires people to show proof of passive income, many people would use their business accounts and transfer money periodically to their newly setup Malaysian account as proof of that, even though the business may be defunct in their home countries as the Malaysian government don't have time nor authority to check overseas business registers. If the money sent by the business account is laundered money then it is the responsibility of the country where the business account is located to flag it to Interpol and the Malaysian authorities.