Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Card surcharge rules

Banned

Card surcharge rules

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/...them/0i0ipzr5v

0.5% is what service providers can charge legally for EFTPOS payments, up to 1% for debit cards and up to 1.5% for credit cards.

Bring that up to any shop whenever you pay by card. The shops charging 10% surcharge are just greedy.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Shops aren't greedy, they're trying to force you into paying cash because they need cash to pay the girls.
    Just pay cash and stop whining.

Junior Member(有D料到)
    Just never pay by card.. end of story.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Cash means no record, no trace, no tax, no record of hours, no visa impact etc

99 King Member (帝皇會員)
    Quote Originally Posted by Howl View Post
    [url]

0.5% is what service providers can charge legally for EFTPOS payments, up to 1% for debit cards and up to 1.5% for credit cards.

Bring that up to any shop whenever you pay by card. The shops charging 10% surcharge are just greedy.
    Most shops have the same surcharge regardless of card type.

If they are charging 10%, that is illegal.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiegaigin View Post
    Most shops have the same surcharge regardless of card type.

If they are charging 10%, that is illegal.
    You’re actually wrong there mate and I do this for a living. They can pass on whatever they get charged as a surcharge and you might be able to get a rough list but it isn’t the same for every customer.

Depending on who the payment provider is they can charge what they consider to be a cost of business. So those CashCard or Mandrake machines it is the payment gateway charging you and not the shop.

And blended rates are rare but becoming more common.

The one you do have to look out for is that they can’t charge a surcharge if they don’t provide a way to avoid it (like accepting cash). If that the case then the surcharge has to be part of the advertised price

99 Premium Member (特級會員)
    My favourite is a restaurant I go to. Let's say your meal is $50. They offer a cash discount of 5%, but if you pay by card there's a surcharge depending on card type (debit or credit). So, going by that, nobody pays the actual $50 price, it's either $47.50 cash or $50.37 debit card and $50.62 by credit card.

99 King Member (帝皇會員)
    If they are offering a cash price and a card price, they shouldn't be adding that surcharge. THat's double dipping.

I've seen shops offering 20% off for cash. That's a 25% card surcharge.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Use your phone to pull up your debit card. Then choose Eftpos SAV
    There shouldn’t be any cards fees

Banned
    Some payment gateways will add the surcharge automatically but for most businesses using the standard EFTPOS machine from the big four they would either calculate the percentage and add it in manually or throw a standard surcharge of 20¢ or 50¢ for any transactions below $20.

99 King Member (帝皇會員) GoldfishMan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Daffy View Post
    You’re actually wrong there mate and I do this for a living. They can pass on whatever they get charged as a surcharge and you might be able to get a rough list but it isn’t the same for every customer.

Depending on who the payment provider is they can charge what they consider to be a cost of business. So those CashCard or Mandrake machines it is the payment gateway charging you and not the shop.

And blended rates are rare but becoming more common.

The one you do have to look out for is that they can’t charge a surcharge if they don’t provide a way to avoid it (like accepting cash). If that the case then the surcharge has to be part of the advertised price
    I think the most important point is it will be a huge pain in the arse and also time consuming to take them to the authorities and try to prove that they were wrong to charge 10% surcharge. Who's going to go through all that to fight for justice?

99% of people will just scream and holler at the obscene surcharge amount and then let it slide.

Banned
    Cash for everything that relates to punting.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe1956 View Post
    Use your phone to pull up your debit card. Then choose Eftpos SAV
    There shouldn’t be any cards fees
    Thanks for the tip. I’ll try that next time when I’m back at a coffee shop that rips me off that little bit extra..

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Just remember that if you tap it is always a credit transaction and can get a higher surcharge.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    A little off topic but still crazy in my mind

Middle eastern pizza shop out my way doesn’t tell you it’s “cash only” untill you come in and pick up your order

They have a eftpos machine in the shop but will not let customers know that. They hide it behind the counter but I have seen it before

To dodge tax/surcharges ect they have their own ATM machine INSIDE the shop and demand you to pull money out and pay the $3 fee. One time I had enough, paid for 1 pizza in silver coins and said I didn’t have enough for the second so it went to waste. Cunts

Baby Member(留言版初哥)
    I also remember reading somewhere, sorry can't remember where, but brothels have a hard time setting up a payment terminal account with the banks, because of their lack of want to be associated with such businesses.

perhaps there's a roundabout way they have to manage it that incurs higher costs? Hence a lot of places actually have an ATM inside the venue.

Also it makes sense they want to incentivise the punter to have cash, as this is how extras are paid for.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    @RO1312 That situation: I suggest you get an Macquarie Bank debit card. No ATM fees forever. I always get a notification on the app when I’m getting money out of the ATM “don’t worry about that $3 ATM fee, we will cover it”

Yeah, that pizza shop they definitely doing it for tax purposes

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by justpuntingit View Post
    I also remember reading somewhere, sorry can't remember where, but brothels have a hard time setting up a payment terminal account with the banks, because of their lack of want to be associated with such businesses.

perhaps there's a roundabout way they have to manage it that incurs higher costs? Hence a lot of places actually have an ATM inside the venue.

Also it makes sense they want to incentivise the punter to have cash, as this is how extras are paid for.
    If those shops can't create accounts or have electronic payment terminals with banks, they wouldn't have EFTPOS machines where they deliberately charge 10% surcharge.

If they really want cash and the shop is situated in an area where an ATM isn't available then it's good practice for them for setup their own rediATM machines in house. They can make their "surcharges" from the ATM withdrawal fees instead which most punters wouldn't mind paying ($3 at most places).

Baby Member(留言版初哥)
    also i highly discourage punting via card... about 7 or 8 years ago i was applying for a loan.. the continual transactions of $200ish to a weirdly named merchant that the bank couldn't define was questioned. Whilst I was able to give a BS excuse, it caught me off guard and had there been another reason to not approve, i reckon i wouldn't have been able to pull it off.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NightShift View Post
    @RO1312 That situation: I suggest you get an Macquarie Bank debit card. No ATM fees forever. I always get a notification on the app when I’m getting money out of the ATM “don’t worry about that $3 ATM fee, we will cover it”

Yeah, that pizza shop they definitely doing it for tax purposes
    That's a good suggestion there for a debit card. You don't get to be in an area where an ATM from the big four is readily available.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast