Thread: Australia: The Fight to Decriminalise Prostitution

Australia: The Fight to Decriminalise Prostitution

An interesting article summarising the various approaches to prostitution in different Australian states and comparing to a number of international models:

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/fea...062103562.html

Banned
    Thanks for the article flamejob
    It does seem odd that there are widely different laws in different states in 2015

An open and decriminalised system is the one most likely to protect womens safety and financial interests
    Anything that reduces the amount of sexual slavery, and exploitation/intimidation of working ladies is a good thing, and worth fighting for

Rather than keeping the sex industry underground, and in the hands of criminal gangs, including international syndicates

This quote from your link summarises the problems with making the sex industry illegal:

More than that, Honey knows her biggest asset, her independence, is also a source of vulnerability.
    While she works as a self-employed independent, operating in a private environment where she decides who to meet, when and under what circumstances, her isolation also makes her vulnerable.
    "If someone did choose to steal from me, or assault me, what am I going to do?" she says
    "Call the cops?"

Times have changed, and making an womans right to earn a livelihood an illegal act, is just pure nonsense in 2015

You're spot on there, Harmony. The laws in Qld for instance, where they allow solo operators but do not allow anyone else to work with them, whether it be security or a driver, leaves workers particularly vulnerable. While I understand the need to police slavery, trafficking and underage prostitution, legalising prostitution for consenting adults surely can only help to increase the protection against violence for workers or other unsavoury activities such as slavery, trafficking and underage workers.