Page 77 of 96 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987 ... LastLast
Results 1,521 to 1,540 of 1914

Thread: The Sports Thread, Aussie Sports, World Sports and All Sports, let's talk Sports !!

26 - 0 !!

Congratulations to the NSW Blues, they were simply brilliant at Suncorp last night.

History making effort to hold the Maroons scoreless at Suncorp - the two try saving tackles by Tommy and To'o, that's what Origin play is all about !!

This NSW backline just firing in all cylinders and don't forget they still have a Papenhuyzen to call upon when fit, plus Luke Keary and Cody Walker in the halves, so much talents !!

I don’t see how the current corps of Maroons can turn this around in the next series or two.

Any Queenslanders out there have a more positive view ?

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼)
    Quote Originally Posted by AHLUNGOR View Post
    I don’t see how the current corps of Maroons can turn this around in the next series or two.

Any Queenslanders out there have a more positive view ?
    I am a Queenslander and I cannot see NSW being beaten for at least 5 or 6 years. I think that in the NRL has approximately 500 players of which only 90 or so are Queenslanders, so the numbers (and the talent) are stacked against us.

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    Quote Originally Posted by kingwally View Post
    I am a Queenslander and I cannot see NSW being beaten for at least 5 or 6 years. I think that in the NRL has approximately 500 players of which only 90 or so are Queenslanders, so the numbers (and the talent) are stacked against us.
    Qld had their dynasty but all things come to an end eventually, NSW will dominate for many year's to come, hopefully go nine straight...

Junior Member(有D料到)
    it's way too one sided, almost not too fun to watch anymore.. bring the oldies back!

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy View Post
    Qld had their dynasty but all things come to an end eventually, NSW will dominate for many year's to come, hopefully go nine straight...
    So true, the Origin arena from the very beginning had been a very close and tight contest. Many games and series were decided right down to the wire and very often were decided by a single moment like that Queensland miracle try, a last minute try, a penalty or a field goal .

Even during that Maroons Dynasty period when we won 8 series in a row! It was largely because of that once in a generation Aussie “spine” - they still have to work really hard, fight for every play and every ball, it was never that “easy”. So main series decider was down to a Lockyer last play (2006 which started the ball rolling!), a Thurston side line conversion or a Cronk field goal , it could simply go either way.

I have never seen the Maroons got out played and smashed two games in a row and at home, hate to see what the score line would be like if game 3 can be played at ANZ as planned !

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼)
    So true, the Origin arena from the very beginning had been a very close and tight contest. Many games and series were decided right down to the wire and very often were decided by a single moment like that Queensland miracle try, a last minute try, a penalty or a field goal .

Even during that Maroons Dynasty period when we won 8 series in a row! It was largely because of that once in a generation Aussie “spine” - they still have to work really hard, fight for every play and every ball, it was never that “easy”. So main series decider was down to a Lockyer last play (2006 which started the ball rolling!), a Thurston side line conversion or a Cronk field goal , it could simply go either way.

I have never seen the Maroons got out played and smashed two games in a row and at home, hate to see what the score line would be like if game 3 can be played at ANZ as planned !
    The question is, are you from Qld or did you get on the bandwagon? 🤣

Quote Originally Posted by Rogeryou View Post
    The question is, are you from Qld or did you get on the bandwagon? 🤣
    I have answered this question before and happy to repeat myself again.

First of all , I came from overseas , and have lived and worked and paid tax in Australia for 40 years. So I guess I’m just as Aussie as most people who have an Australian passport.

When I first arrived downunder, I landed in Eagle Farm and that’s Queensland, my first ever game of NRL was an Origin match which Queensland won of course, and I had the opportunity to meet the Maroons after the match and met big Mal whose the Captain and had a broken eye socket - it was a real blood bath. There after, I have been following the Maroons ever since.

Do I qualify?

Senior Member(無間使者)
    NSW!!

We need to celebrate while we can.. I still have nightmares from those 8 years in a row....

We do have currently 4 of 5 best players in the world! Tommy, Cleary, Teddy and Latrell.. A bit like Slater, Smith, Thurston, Cronk and GI...

While there are so much doom and gloom in losing this years series and the manner in which the current Corp of Maroons had played.

But let’s not forget only a few years back, the Maroons was full of future immortals and we have won the unprecedented 8 series in a row!

Then Cronk was injured very early in Game 1 when we were going for 9 in a row and NSW won by 4, NSW won game 2 by 2 points while Cronk was still out.

When Cronk returned in game 3, we won 32-8

Then we won the next 3 series! And one would wonder were we robbed of winning 12 in a row ?

So, as good and as dominant NSW was in 2021, let’s wait and see how far they can go..........

May be it’s time to relive my prediction at the beginning of that 8th series win . Enjoy all Queenslanders:

While there may be some last minutes changes on the two sides, the teams that were named have very little surprises!

Let's face it, the contests had been fairly tight every year but the big name players from QLD just seems to be able to close out or hold on to win the big games, that's all.

I don't think the Blues can win this as a general team, the team itself is not that far behind the Maroons anyway, it will always come down to some individual brilliants.

If we look at the team selected and corresponse that with their respective Club and the points each Club has on the NRL ladder, the QLD side clearly has an advantage.

This is how I see it, if you give each players from the Bunnys 18 points and 17 points to each Storm players and Eels players gets 6 points and same with the Tigers. The QLD team has a total of 215 points and the Blues 196 points. This means the QLD players on average are playing for better performing NRL Clubs.

Furthermore, the QLD team has 6 players from the top 4 teams while the NSW only has 5. And most significantly, the QLD side has NO players from the bottom 4 teams and NSW has 4 in Hayne (1), Morris (5), Farah (9) and Merrin (16), especially on 1 and 9, two of the key position on the "Spine", they are both great players but their team keep getting bashed week in week out is not gonna help their confidence.

And then you look at the 1 and 9 from QLD, enough said.

Go Queenslanders !!

Just my 7 and soon to be 8 cents

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster18 View Post
    NSW!!

We need to celebrate while we can.. I still have nightmares from those 8 years in a row....

We do have currently 4 of 5 best players in the world! Tommy, Cleary, Teddy and Latrell.. A bit like Slater, Smith, Thurston, Cronk and GI...
    You certainly do and congratulations to that.

Let’s just see if they can do it year in and year out and earn their spots alongside the Queensland Greats ?

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼)
    I have answered this question before and happy to repeat myself again.

First of all , I came from overseas , and have lived and worked and paid tax in Australia for 40 years. So I guess I’m just as Aussie as most people who have an Australian passport.

When I first arrived downunder, I landed in Eagle Farm and that’s Queensland, my first ever game of NRL was an Origin match which Queensland won of course, and I had the opportunity to meet the Maroons after the match and met big Mal whose the Captain and had a broken eye socket - it was a real blood bath. There after, I have been following the Maroons ever since.

Do I qualify?
    Nobody needs to qualify to love NRL.

There is this anomaly of ppl that live in NSW that go for Qld due to their winning streak. I was curious how you linked to Qld.
    Just like in the 70s 80s we had aussies that went for the West Indies in the cricket.
    Who do you go for in NRL?

Quote Originally Posted by Rogeryou View Post
    Nobody needs to qualify to love NRL.

There is this anomaly of ppl that live in NSW that go for Qld due to their winning streak. I was curious how you linked to Qld.
    Just like in the 70s 80s we had aussies that went for the West Indies in the cricket.
    Who do you go for in NRL?
    No worries ! And I appreciate your way of thinking.

Me like many of our fellow Queenslanders who had to endure so much pain and heartbreak when NSW was winning three in a row in the 90’s and then again in the new Millennium. Especially when Joey Johns was dominated after winning game 2 & 3 and have to withstand the calls of: Origin is Dead !

If we haven’t won game 3 in 2006 and NSW gone 4 series in a row, damn , I hate to think of the consequences!

As in NRL team, well, I was first and foremost Queensland supporter, so after I got to meet Captain Mal, I followed the Raiders until he won the GF in 94 and retired, then I follow the next Maroons captain = Alfie Langer, and went for the Broncos then Lockyer, then Smith. So I sort of went Raiders, Broncos, Storms with a bit of Cowboys in there somewhere. Mainly supporting the key Maroons players. Right now, I am very sad to see how low the Cowboys and Broncos had gone down and more of a Storms man .

It could be a few very sad and lean years ahead though !

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼)
    No worries ! And I appreciate your way of thinking.

Me like many of our fellow Queenslanders who had to endure so much pain and heartbreak when NSW was winning three in a row in the 90’s and then again in the new Millennium. Especially when Joey Johns was dominated after winning game 2 & 3 and have to withstand the calls of: Origin is Dead !

If we haven’t won game 3 in 2006 and NSW gone 4 series in a row, damn , I hate to think of the consequences!
    Ponga and Grant are huge ins along with Lindsay Collins next year.

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼)
    As in NRL team, well, I was first and foremost Queensland supporter, so after I got to meet Captain Mal, I followed the Raiders until he won the GF in 94 and retired, then I follow the next Maroons captain = Alfie Langer, and went for the Broncos then Lockyer, then Smith. So I sort of went Raiders, Broncos, Storms with a bit of Cowboys in there somewhere. Mainly supporting the key Maroons players. Right now, I am very sad to see how low the Cowboys and Broncos had gone down and more of a Storms man .

It could be a few very sad and lean years ahead though !
    That’s a different approach origin first!

I have been following the mighty chickens for almost 50yrs 🏆🐓
    Storm are my most hated team with the wrestling BS but more tolerable now with Smith and Slater gone, Muster and Kafusi are grubs though.

Banned
    Olympic motto '' Citus - Altius - Fortius ". This Tokyo Games has been ruined by LGBT.
    Its nauseating it will include a madman pretending to be a women in the weightlifting.
    This perverted nonsense needs to end. People need to stand up to this absolute insanity.
    No its not a her. All the media outlets should ignore this gruesome act.
    You can't make peace with evil. You must destroy evil before it destroy's you.

Time to get excited about the Wimbledon again and get behind Ash Barty, in the semi for the first time.

Go Ash !

You just gotta love Japan. Even their public protests are mild.

“You can’t shoot water at people for no good reason,” Mito deputy police chief Noriaki Nagatsuka Nagatsuka said. “She clearly wasn’t playing around. This isn’t child’s play.”
    Some people would argue that shooting a water pistol at an official event is the definition of child’s play. Oh well.

Police say the suspect admitted to the shooting and defended it as an act of protest."

Here were some funny replies to the video:

The police guy even tried to block her water pistol with a tiny shield

Yeah, like he prepared that shield just for this very situation

He’s the shield hero.

Ah Japan’s finest 2nd amendment: the right to bear a water pistol

Tokyo has recorded 920 new Covid cases in a day. Highest in the current outbreak since May. Tokyo will be under a State of Emergemcy when the Olympic Opening ceremony happens!

Good luck to Katie and Paddy our flag bearers and all the Aussie Athletes, coaches and support team over there, hope they had all been fully vaccinated!

Page 77 of 96 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987 ... LastLast