Page 30 of 96 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080 ... LastLast

Thread: The Sports Thread, Aussie Sports, World Sports and All Sports, let's talk Sports !!

Quote Originally Posted by rooter View Post
    Winx won today of course - she is too good.
    I reckon my tip for the Caulfield Cup Humidor will win the Melbourne Cup - he looked great today. A great second place to the invincible Winx and the extra distance will suit him
    Humidor is on a very similar form line to a previous Cup winner in Fiorente. Although he has no 2400 winning form , he wasn't far away from the Caulfield Cup and did run second to Jameka in the BMW in Sydney - basically , if he stays the two miles - he should win - and the breeding ticks all the boxes too , his grandsire Galileo is very successful in producing group 1 stayers. He is out of a Zabeel mare and has 4 crosses from Northern Dancer . You couldn't find a better bred stayers !

So brother Rooter, I agree, bet up on Humidor ! But I wonder if Weir will keep Blake Shinn on ? He already won one on Viewed for Bart Cummings !

Banned
    this one is good too...
    Last edited by Figgous22; 29-10-2017 at 08:18 PM. Reason: spelling

So , a sold out full house at Moonee Valley saw Winx won her third Cox Plate.

But seriously , when you saw Humidor loomed up alongside the Champ in the final 100 meters, did you go "Oh No !" ?

We could have up to half of the field in this year's Melbourne Cup being overseas raiders !

Can the Haynes , Cummings, Weir and Waller collectively defend the Cup from going overseas again ?

Junior Member(有D料到)
    I will like to put 500 bucks on Melbourne cup bet.. any tips. ..

Banned
    Any recommendation for Melbourne Cup next week? So I can chit chat with clients but not look dumb.

99 King Member (帝皇會員) CunningLinguist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Babycat View Post
    Any recommendation for Melbourne Cup next week? So I can chit chat with clients but not look dumb.
    Phar lap to win!

99 Premium Member (特級會員) rooter's Avatar
    Us punters are all total misogynist losers and we actually like it when a ML or WL sounds dumb; we think it's so cute.
    It makes us feel so intelligent and special and superior.
    Babycat, never, ever, never appear more intelligent or better informed than your dumb punters, it makes us feel very insecure, and threatened; our fragile male egos can't handle it.
    If a punter asks you about the Melbourne Cup just say something like "I'm so dumb, I'm just a girl, I know nothing about horse racing or anything else. Have you got a tip, stallion?" .

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rooter View Post
    Us punters are all total misogynist losers and we actually like it when a ML or WL sounds dumb; we think it's so cute.
    It makes us feel so intelligent and special and superior.
    Babycat, never, ever, never appear more intelligent or better informed than your dumb punters, it makes us feel very insecure, and threatened; our fragile male egos can't handle it.
    If a punter asks you about the Melbourne Cup just say something like "I'm so dumb, I'm just a girl, I know nothing about horse racing or anything else. Have you got a tip, stallion?" .
    Wow, thanks for the tips. Punters, boyfriends, and guys in general prefer dumb girls. Got it.
    But actually, I have no idea about Melbourne Cup, except I just know it's a horse racing. Even in the first two years staying here, I thought it was kind of soccer champions.

The field of the Cup is not finalised yet but you certainly are welcome to learn a few things to enrich your conversation with clients if the topic comes up:

10 things about the Melbourne Cup if Babycats knows should earn her plenty of respects :

1. The only horse to have won the Cup three times was a mare/female horse called Makybe Diva.
    Her name was made up from the five female staff of the horse owner.

2. The first and only female jockey to have won the Cup was Michelle Payne two years ago on Prince of Penzance, trained by Darren Weir and at the odds of 100-1

3. The last horse to win the Caulfield Cup and Melbourne Cup double was also a mare called Ethereal from New Zealand

4. Cup King Bart Cummings had trained 12 Melbourne Cup winners, his first winner was called Light Finger and his 12th was called Viewed.

5. Last year's winner was Almandin . He was owned by Lloyd Williams who had won the Cup 5 times and Almandin is also running this year. BTW, Almandin's rider was Kerrin Mcevoy who is Michelle Payne's brother in law .

6. The First Lady Trainer of a Melbourne Cup winner was Sheila Laxton from New Zealand who trained the above mentioned Ethereal. The first Aussie lady trainer to win a Melbourne Cup was Gai Waterhouse who is the daughter of legendary trainer Tommy Smith. She trained Fiorente to win a few years ago.

7. The first ever horse to win the Cup was called Archer. And he came back the next year to win it again !

8. The first ever overseas trained horse to win the Melbourne Cup was called Vintage Crop trained by Dermot Weld an Irish trainer . He won it again with a horse called Media Puzzle.

9. Media Puzzle was ridden by champion jockey Damien Oliver whose Brother Jason was also a jockey who died from a race fall the week before in Perth. When Damien won the race and past the winning post, he looked up to the sky as if saying: this one is for you brother ! One of the most memorable moment in Melbourne Cup history !

10. Phar Lap, Australia's most famous race horse , of course also won the Cup. But the other King of the Australian turf Kingston Town didn't, came second in 1982 from a poor ride - but his very unlucky owner David Haines got lucky when his horse Kingston Rule trained by Bart Cummings won in 1990! 8 years after the failure of the King, became Bart's winner No 8 and from memory Kingston Rule was no 8 in the race ! Talking about destiny and lucky no 8!

My 10 cents.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CunningLinguist View Post
    Phar lap to win!
    Lol, I supposed to google or ask you what Phar lap is till I saw Ahlungor mentioned it. A horse. Got it.

Wow, thanks for the tips. Punters, boyfriends, and guys in general prefer dumb girls. Got it.
    But actually, I have no idea about Melbourne Cup, except I just know it's a horse racing. Even in the first two years staying here, I thought it was kind of soccer champions.
    A few more things you should know about the Melbourne Cup, it's a horse race over 3,200 metres at a race course called Flemington in Melbourne. It's always run on the first Tuesday in November and that day is also a Public Holiday in metropolitan Melbourne!

Quote Originally Posted by deep123 View Post
    I will like to put 500 bucks on Melbourne cup bet.. any tips. ..
    Watch this space, let you know on Monday !

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AHLUNGOR View Post
    A few more things you should know about the Melbourne Cup, it's a horse race over 3,200 metres at a race course called Flemington in Melbourne. It's always run on the first Tuesday in November and that day is also a Public Holiday in metropolitan Melbourne!
    As a person living in Sydney, I can say that it's not fair!!!!!! But due to my job, I don't like public holidays lol. Very quiet and have to find excuses to not catch up with friends/family.

As a person living in Sydney, I can say that it's not fair!!!!!! But due to my job, I don't like public holidays lol. Very quiet and have to find excuses to not catch up with friends/family.
    Business on Melbourne Cup day is always good from 4pm onwards !

If you win, you want to celebrate with a punt and show off to you WL or ML. If you loss, well, you need a girl's body to bury your sorrows !! Either way, shops should always be busy after the Cup is run .

99 King Member (帝皇會員) Travelmate's Avatar
    Dean Yendall only group one ride yesterday was Shoal.
    Did you guys enjoy the winning like travelmate on trifetta with this Natural light weight rider?

Will you put money on Weir running Amelie's Star on each way paying 20 to 1 at 51kg?

This horse definitely not up to class but can run a nice race at surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Travelmate View Post
    Dean Yendall only group one ride yesterday was Shoal.
    Did you guys enjoy the winning like travelmate on trifetta with this Natural light weight rider?

Will you put money on Weir running Amelie's Star on each way paying 20 to 1 at 51kg?

This horse definitely not up to class but can run a nice race at surprise.
    I also won on Shoal yesterday, in fact I backed three winners (Levendi and Ace High as well) but ended up only about break even !

I have some each ways bets on the first and second horses out of the Caulfield Cup though.

But can Amelie Star beat Humidor and Big Duke over two miles ?

Very open race this year and I think Humidor could nearly be a good thing @$9.50/$3.50 - or at least an each way special :

The Cox Plate is now replacing the Caulfield Cup as best guide to the Cup - apart from the overseas horses:

Makybe Diva won the Cox Plate before winning her third, So you Think won it then ran second in the Cup, Green Moon ran poorly in the Plate but won at Flemington.

Fiorente ran a great second in the Cox Plate and won the Cup next up, Criterion beaten 4 lengths by Winx and ran third to Michelle Payne and last year, Hartnell was beaten 8 lengths by Winx and still ran third in the Cup and Humidor nearly......

99 Premium Member (特級會員) rooter's Avatar
    I don't like the favourite Almandi.
    Horses very rarely win back to back Cups, and Frankie Dettori's form at the Cup is terrible.
    The next four favourites all look good Humidor, Johannes Vermeer, Marmelo, and Wall of Fire.
    I can't see anyone other horse winning it.
    Best long shot: Big Duke.

Junior Member(有D料到)
    Thanks Mate..I follow you very closely. ..and have confidence in your predictions... can you pm me how can I place the bets as have never done before....

Senior Member(無間使者)
    I followed Chris Waller yesterday and doubled my money. My glass half full is stoked I picked shillelagh out of his horses in the Kennedy mile but my glass half empty is pissed the 3rd horse got in the way of my trifecta

Page 30 of 96 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080 ... LastLast