Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cars under 20k

Senior Member(無間使者)

Cars under 20k

Hey guys,

I'm kind of a noob when it comes to car. I'm looking at buying a car, preferably new or demo, under 20k drive away price.

What should I be looking at?

Currently there is a few that I have my eyes on, the Mitsubishi Mirage 2017, middle or highest spec, the Kia cerato, Nissan micra 2017, or Toyota Yaris 2015.

Would like some opinions from bros here.

What about insurances? Finance? What type should I get? Personal? Fixed?

Peace out,

Cello

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Hey Cello,

My advice / opinion:

Shortlist:
    1. Mazda 2 - looks good, drives well, excellent overall package
    2. Ford Fiesta (the Turbo ecoboost version). Great handling, turbo engine is frugal and responsive.
    3. VW Polo - built like a vault, looks slightly boring.
    4. Toyota Yaris - here only because it has excellent resale. Ordinary to drive and own.

Thoughts on your choices:
    Mirage - doesn't do anything particularly well. Mitsubishi is dying, just bought by Nissan.
    Micra - looks like a noddy car, no-one buys them hence now discontinued by Nissan.
    Cerato - buy a $21990 Mazda 3 instead if u want a bigger car.

Insurance: get comprehensive insurance. AAMI cheapest, will send your car to the dodgiest repairer if smashed. Go middle of the road with NRMA, Allianz etc instead.

Finance: Get secured vehicle finance not a personal loan. Watch out for: high interest rate, high application fee, high monthly fees, ask about early termination penalties. Buy GAP insurance if you are financing the whole car. Don't buy the other junk insurance products.

Peace

Biethestarr

Banned
    Usually motor vehicle finance is cheaper as it's a secured loan and it's usually fixed. Personal loan is more expensive but can be variable, so see what suits you better. It's worth shopping around, finance is pretty cheap at the moment.

I found out that it's worth shopping around for insurance as there are some rip off deals out there which you don't want to be paying. If it's a 20K car maybe don't even need comprehensive insurance? But if you have finance on the car, then you'll have no choice.

Don't know much about the models you mentioned but toyota sounds the more reliable one out of that bunch to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Biethestarr View Post
    Hey Cello,

My advice / opinion:

Shortlist:
    1. Mazda 2 - looks good, drives well, excellent overall package
    2. Ford Fiesta (the Turbo ecoboost version). Great handling, turbo engine is frugal and responsive.
    3. VW Polo - built like a vault, looks slightly boring.
    4. Toyota Yaris - here only because it has excellent resale. Ordinary to drive and own.

Thoughts on your choices:
    Mirage - doesn't do anything particularly well. Mitsubishi is dying, just bought by Nissan.
    Micra - looks like a noddy car, no-one buys them hence now discontinued by Nissan.
    Cerato - buy a $21990 Mazda 3 instead if u want a bigger car.

Insurance: get comprehensive insurance. AAMI cheapest, will send your car to the dodgiest repairer if smashed. Go middle of the road with NRMA, Allianz etc instead.

Finance: Get secured vehicle finance not a personal loan. Watch out for: high interest rate, high application fee, high monthly fees, ask about early termination penalties. Buy GAP insurance if you are financing the whole car. Don't buy the other junk insurance products.

Peace

Biethestarr
    Good comments and advice !
    Directory of After Reports by wilisno
    http://www.aus99forum.com/showthread...ectory+reports
    Collections of frequently used Abbreviations
    http://www.aus99forum.com/showthread...-Abbreviations

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Thanks a lot bierhestarr.

The only reason why I'm even considering mirage and micra is because of the smashing new look they have in the upcoming model, looks like they have a complete revamp on those two. How about Hyundai line? Or if we're talking about ford, how is focus comparable to fiesta?

With the insurance and finance, your advise helped me loads, I will take that into consideration . Much appreciated.

I'm currently with nrma so far they've done a pretty decent job, just wondering if there's anything better out there.

To be honest I'm leaning more towards Honda and Toyota, but not quite easy to fork out over $25k, $22k is probably my limit, quite a few financial commitment to look after right now

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼)
    What about the Renault Clio?

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Expensive parts if ever breaking down is what's keeping me away from Renault bro

Senior Member(無間使者) NaughtyBoy13's Avatar
    If you have money to buy a car under $20k I have no comment. But if you are looking to finance a car, dont buy an expensive one or new one.

Because once you bought a new car, the car already dropped half price if you sell it. So buy a good second hand one. Like mine, Ive bought a Honda Accord Euro 07 84,000 kms on odometer. It has quite good options like Rain sensor, reverse sensor, leather seats and heated seats, power back mirror ( this means the cars behind you put on high beam doesnt affect your eyes with the back mirror inside your car), 6 stacks CD players, Audio cable connects with phones as well (but this one need to be installed after purchased)

Honda and Toyota services are cheaper, easier to get parts replace. And they are pretty reliable ! As well as the price won't drop hardly.

There are some popular sedan for you to choose like Honda Accord, Toyota Aurion or Toyota Camry, they are pretty good sedan cars. And as a man, driving a sedan car is better looking

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    Quote Originally Posted by cello View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm kind of a noob when it comes to car. I'm looking at buying a car, preferably new or demo, under 20k drive away price.

What should I be looking at?

Currently there is a few that I have my eyes on, the Mitsubishi Mirage 2017, middle or highest spec, the Kia cerato, Nissan micra 2017, or Toyota Yaris 2015.

Would like some opinions from bros here.

What about insurances? Finance? What type should I get? Personal? Fixed?

Peace out,

Cello
    Firstly, if that's your budget, then I'd suggest you look for one that's one or two years old. You'll probably do better.

Secondly, if that's your budget, you should seriously limit your punting! Punting costs thousands per year, so make sure you limit punting to 1-2x/ month.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Advice getting better as we got on...

It depends on the value that you place on a car, relative to other things in your life (hobbies, savings goals, travel plans, general spending).

Unless having a nice 20k car ranks extremely high on that list, I wouldn't advise on borrowing to buy a car if you can help it. Obviously used car depreciates far less.

Set out a cash flow schedule of your payments and how much you will end up paying for your 20k car, what the value of it is after repayment. Of course add your value of enjoyment that you'll get out of it ($ value you'd pay to enjoy driving your new car)... I'd say that last value you place on it would have to be extremely high to overcome the interest paid and fees

Baby Member(留言版初哥)
    Great info guys.
    My suggestions.
    Check out fixed car prices at pickles auctions online. I have no affiliation btw. I have bought from them before. Check out vehicles that have at least 1yr factory warranty remaining & you can buy from pickles 5 extended warranty. So effectively you have 6 yrs. yes you have to get the vehicle serviced every 10,000km log book service. I had a claim on an alternator with no problem getting reimbursement from warranty company.
    Try to pay cash/bank cheque, use a car allowance from employer or novated lease finance it. Don't go personal loan unless you absolutely have to. Even redraw funds from your home loan is better than personal loan.
    Go Toyota or Mazda for reliability. These are my personal views don't use them against me. Lol.

Junior Member(有D料到)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan86 View Post
    Firstly, if that's your budget, then I'd suggest you look for one that's one or two years old. You'll probably do better.
    I second this for even with your budget you could be looking at other brands and models you first thought you could not afford.

Junior Member(有D料到)
    HONDA JAZZ or HONDA CITY LOOK COOL

Senior Member(無間使者) NaughtyBoy13's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NigStick View Post
    HONDA JAZZ or HONDA CITY LOOK COOL
    Yeah but they are small size engine, about 1,3 - 1,8 litres and Jazz is a hatch back

Junior Member(有D料到)
    Quote Originally Posted by NaughtyBoy13 View Post
    Yeah but they are small size engine, about 1,3 - 1,8 litres and Jazz is a hatch back
    With 20k for a brand new / demo car you can't really expect something good .
    U can only have the lowest value car on the market .

Senior Member(無間使者)
    But with limited savings and net worth at this stage in his life... How much does the standard of car matter?

Senior Member(無間使者)
    That's true brother bull, I'm not looking for a car to impress or anything, just something to get by and more convenient , I'm of the perception that new cars are always better than second hand, problem fire at least? Wouldn't mind the lower end models, as I don't quite often travel long distance with the car anyway, just wanted the best out of my intended budget

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Quote Originally Posted by mandingo69 View Post
    I second this for even with your budget you could be looking at other brands and models you first thought you could not afford.
    That would be my plan b, second hand. When going for second hand, is there any preferable car brand that bros would feel most comfortable with? For example Toyota and Honda due to cheaper parts and higher resale value? Also, what would be the max mileage acceptable? Under 60k?

Let's say I can fork out 10k in cash and finance whatever the remaining sum, would it be better still going for 2nd hand?

99 King Member (帝皇會員)
    Hyundai currently selling i30 for just under 20k drive away. You get 7 year warranty and fixed price servicing.

KIA has more bad reviews than any mamasan or brothels here on the forum, go for it with a punter's spirit !
    Directory of After Reports by wilisno
    http://www.aus99forum.com/showthread...ectory+reports
    Collections of frequently used Abbreviations
    http://www.aus99forum.com/showthread...-Abbreviations

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast