Thread: Taxation is a b**ch

Taxation is a b**ch

Greetings,

I post this thread to say that taxation is a bitch when it bites you in the ass.
    Tax Refund done, and I am told I owe the government nearly 4k......
    What a shitty mood, if anyone ever asks me.
    Of all tax refunds I've lodged the last time, I had to pay the government was some 60 cents.
    No kidding. No joke.
    But this time now, it is nearly 4 f**king thou.
    My punting days will be over, and for a while I surmise.
    To top off my crappy mood, a good friend (a WL, by the way) asks me about a "marriage".
    For 50k....
    Same old, same old. For the usual stories our there.
    No more dining on "Kimchi".
    No more dining on "Dim Sums".
    No more dining on "Sushi".
    .... at least for a while.
    Again .... taxation is a bitch when it bites you in the ass.

Quote Originally Posted by ChulSoo View Post
    Greetings,

I post this thread to say that taxation is a bitch when it bites you in the ass.
    Of all tax refunds I've lodged the last time, I had to pay the government was some 60 cents.
    No kidding. No joke.
    To top off my crappy mood, a good friend (a WL, by the way) asks me about a "marriage".
    For 50k....
    You've made me nervous now, I have yet lodged my return ...
    Directory of After Reports by wilisno
    http://www.aus99forum.com/showthread...ectory+reports
    Collections of frequently used Abbreviations
    http://www.aus99forum.com/showthread...-Abbreviations

Quote Originally Posted by wilisno View Post
    You've made me nervous now, I have yet lodged my return ...
    The tax agent that handled my case, she was cute to add....

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    I'm getting back 1k and a bit after overpaying my hecs. Happy with that.

Banned
    Greetings,

No kidding. No joke.
    For 50k....
    "Taxation is the price we pay for civilisation."

Did your employer withhold tax or are you self employed?

Senior Member(無間使者) NaughtyBoy13's Avatar
    bad luck mate ! No more pussies for a few months

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Greetings,

No kidding. No joke.
    For 50k....
    tax returns, you mean. refund is when you get your money back.

look at the bright side, having to pay the taxman usually means you make decent money in the first place.

99 King Member (帝皇會員) GoldfishMan's Avatar
    Tell me about it. The tax system here is seriously f-ed up. The whole "total income is XXX, claim this, claim that, bla bla bla" crap is all like a game. You miss claiming something, boo, it's your loss. WTF...
    It gets worse if you're self-employed.
    And the income brackets used are just stupid because they adjust it too infrequently.... It should actually be adjusted every year because inflation doesn't wait for some lazy ass government agency to do their math.
    There was an idea on the table a while back to have a single flat tax rate of around 25% for everyone and do away with all this claiming bullshit. Unfortunately it was very quickly shot down.

Banned
    I have to total up a lot of deduction amounts, and the tricky thing with the tax return is that you have to then break them down into the category of deduction they are - motor vehicle, work expenses, repairs, fees, depreciation and so on and etc.

You then have to make sure you put each different category amount in exactly the right place on the form, and some of these I have to carry over to different forms so some deduction amounts exist in two places but are only counted once. The same goes for income, which is also broken down into different types of income. And they have to be put into precise separate boxes under unclear sounding titles. Get that wrong and your type of income will be counted twice! It has happened to me before and they got back to me saying I owed them 8K more! Every year I am nervous about the breakdown and the accurate positioning of the figures on the forms. I'd like to have just two figures on a piece of A4 paper: Here is my income, here are my deductions. You ****'s figure it out.

99 King Member (帝皇會員)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldfishMan View Post
    And the income brackets used are just stupid because they adjust it too infrequently.... It should actually be adjusted every year because inflation doesn't wait for some lazy ass government agency to do their math.
    There was an idea on the table a while back to have a single flat tax rate of around 25% for everyone and do away with all this claiming bullshit. Unfortunately it was very quickly shot down.
    All their taxes and charges are indexed with CPI to go up automatically every year, the tax thresholds should be on the same basis.

99 King Member (帝皇會員)
    We need jobs where punting costs are tax deductible. These guys who do "brothel busting" for a living are on to a good thing. Or maybe a "condom testing" consultancy?

Quote Originally Posted by aussiegaigin View Post
    We need jobs where punting costs are tax deductible. These guys who do "brothel busting" for a living are on to a good thing. Or maybe a "condom testing" consultancy?
    That should give Jerry an idea what to do next !
    Directory of After Reports by wilisno
    http://www.aus99forum.com/showthread...ectory+reports
    Collections of frequently used Abbreviations
    http://www.aus99forum.com/showthread...-Abbreviations

Junior Member(有D料到)
    Greetings,

No kidding. No joke.
    For 50k....
    You should be pleased with yourself. Think of it like this. You've had the benefit of the government's money for several months at no cost. They're not charging you any interest. Effectively, you've had a free loan.

Based on my estimations, I'm due for a five-figure refund this year, and I'm not a happy chappy because it basically means the government has used me as the bank for the whole year. The problem is the PAYG withholding tables are stacked against the taxpayer so the employer always ends up taking more tax than is necessary. To add insult to injury, I can't do my tax return for several weeks because I don't have my health fund figures. My health fund won't release the figures until well into July which keeps me out of pocket for extra time.

I can't understand why health fund finances need to be tied in with the ATO unless it has something to do with that silly rebate.

Yes, taxation is a scam, but not for the reason you've outlined. The government is double, triple and quadruple dipping; in fact they're doing infinite dipping.

Just as a very simplistic made-up example, let's say you gross $100 a day. You pay $20 income tax. Now you spend the $80 on expenses. Each of those retailers then has to pay tax on their earnings. But remember, the money has already been taxed once - you paid it. And so the cycle repeats, ad infinitum. Now each of those guys goes to spend their own earnings on something and the portion of the pie which is owned by the people gets smaller and smaller while the portion of the pie taken by the government just snowballs as it works its way through the economy.

THAT is the real government scam on a monumental scale, and it's happening right under our noses.

99 Premium Member (特級會員) rooter's Avatar
    Taxes are necessary.
    The roads you drive on, the trains you catch, the airports you land in, the doctors you visit, the medicines you take, the schools TAFEs and universities you and your children go to, the hospitals you go to, the age pension you will receive one day, our law and order system, our border security system, museums, galleries, national parks, our defence forces, our teachers, doctors, nurses, paramedics, firefighters, garbage collectors etc, etc etc
    All paid for by taxes.

Junior Member(有D料到)
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiegaigin View Post
    You may not believe but I used to do "condom testing" here in Australia. Apparently there are only 3 companies in the world doing that. No, it is not tax deductible

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    The tax agent that handled my case, she was cute to add....
    If you tired to hit on her an she didnt like it, she may have purposely put in your tax wrong so you have to pay more tax