Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Selective schools

Super Fans (忠實Fans)

Selective schools

Thought this topic might engage this forum, considering its target audience. Just noticed today that this year, again, all the highest achieving schools in the state are public. The same old list: James Ruse, Baulkham Hills, Hornsby, North Sydney, Sydney High schools; before the private schools kick in.
    Now the question this begs - given the demographic in almost all these schools is majority Asian - are how many of the regular readers of this forum attended one of these selective schools? Where do all these high achieving school students end up? It's not as if the majority of our political or business leaders are from an Asian heritage. How come the vast majority of clever school kids are not represented in the Australian seats of power? A bamboo ceiling?

My take on this is that high achieving students from public schools are academically better, they will do well in their chosen professional fields, but not necessarily be good in business or politics.

Whereas private schools might train them better in leadership and expose them more to the business environments.

Lindsey Fox, the Transport King in Australia once said, out of the top 100 richest people in Australia, he was sure not many had got over 70 marks in their HSC exams.
    Directory of After Reports by wilisno
    http://www.aus99forum.com/showthread...ectory+reports
    Collections of frequently used Abbreviations
    http://www.aus99forum.com/showthread...-Abbreviations

99 King Member (帝皇會員)
    It is hard to generalise, but I'd say most of these kids are trained to be academics rather than leaders, and don't want to waste their talents on commercial or political BS.

Perhaps they would prefer to run their own small businesses, rather than someone else's big one?

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    Most of them would be in the medical profession earning over 500k a year.
    Imagine getting your prostate examined by a hot asian female doctor

Junior Member(有D料到)
    Well I went to a selective high school, used to be a decent selective high school, in my year we were 22nd in the state, was a lot higher the years after me but kinda dropped hard after that. I guess we were the shittest of the top tier of selective school . But yeah a majority of our cohort was Asian and, no surprise, a lot of us went to tutoring during our high school tenure so I made friends with our kids from different high schools. Same story different setting, heaps of Asian kids (not that were no Caucasians as there were quite a bit from school to school), a real competitive environment especially when the HSC kicked in. Not saying that every single student was driven to study as much as possible as there definitely kids who didn't try but yeah that's kinda what happened when I was in high school, a bit of insight.

Anyway to answer your question, a lot of the top achievers in my year went into law, medicine, engineering with the rest of us going into business, pharmacy, economics, (I personally went into science) etc. Not a lot of people that I knew went down a political career pathway. Then again who knows, more and more people are changing careers nowadays so yeah.

Baby Member(留言版初哥)
    I came from two selective schools (both within top10) and did notice many people going into business, law, medicine, engineering but not so much politics - there is tendency toward high paying stable professional jobs

I know Baulkham Hills High and Hornsby Girls really well. This is not the place to share my inside informations though !

I think we should leave the hard working smarts kids alone and just concentrate on our own punting and sinful behaviours !

Cheers

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    It's not just a lack of Asians in politics, it's all avenues of leadership. How many asian CEOs or heads of departments are there? Precious few.
    So I guessed right AHLungor? I reckon a large number of this forum's readers went to one of these schools. I did. A full third of my year went into medicine. Two of my mates who are big users of advertisers here are senior in the medical profession.

Banned
    Asians do not strive to earn a fuckton of money and /or fame. Most are content with a good job. As long as you earn enough to support your lifestyle, then there is no need to spend more time searching for money. Instead, concentrate on spending more time on family, punting, etc.

As to what your lifestyle is like, that depends on who you are.

As to where they all are, they chose low key professions. Doctors, engineers, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by puntercouple View Post
    Asians do not strive to earn a fuckton of money and /or fame. Most are content with a good job. As long as you earn enough to support your lifestyle, then there is no need to spend more time searching for money. Instead, concentrate on spending more time on family, punting, etc.

As to what your lifestyle is like, that depends on who you are.

As to where they all are, they chose low key professions. Doctors, engineers, etc.
    The topic is about selective schools, not Asians !

Banned
    The question raised was where do all the students go, since selective schools are filled with Asians but all CEOs and politicians are white

Quote Originally Posted by puntercouple View Post
    The question raised was where do all the students go, since selective schools are filled with Asians but all CEOs and politicians are white
    Not all selective schools are filled with Asians, only in certain areas ! And not all Asians are content with simply a good job ! On the contrary, Asians are more adventurous in taking any opportunity to make more money than westerners !

Banned
    I love the way men who are super intelligent top 1% who i can never hold
    a conversation with when you bring up hookers they are like a kid who
    is talking about the lastest Nintendo game they are playing.
    I have a relative who is a Doctor who is always travelling the world going
    to medical conference's overseas who is always boasting of his lastest
    fucks when he gets back.
    Another example a few months ago one of my favourite WL told me of a
    major Hollywood Star who went to her shop and saw her friend. This shop
    is a major advertiser on this forum . Its not bullshit and since the shop was
    humble and kept it a secret so should i.
    Why she told me it just slipped out as we were talking about movies , she
    asked me not to reveal the name as she said he was super nice .

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    I reckon a large number of this forum's readers went to one of these schools. I did.
    Are you saying you are asian too? I picked you for a whitey (like me.)

Interesting topic though Wayne. Maybe a cultural change in the percentage of those of asian ethnicity in political and business roles hasn't had enough time to play through yet. Or maybe the networking nepotism of the Old School Tie set - Scots, Sydney Grammar, Knox et all - has the unturnable around momentum of a supertanker.

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    Quote Originally Posted by God Member View Post
    Are you saying you are asian too? I picked you for a whitey (like me.)
    Ah, you have fallen into the assumption trap laid - equating asian kids with selective schools. Though I'd say it's a reasonable assumption. Past by one of the schools and non-black haired kids do seem few and far between. But yes you're right, i'm a whitey.

Quote Originally Posted by God Member View Post
    Interesting topic though Wayne. Maybe a cultural change in the percentage of those of asian ethnicity in political and business roles hasn't had enough time to play through yet. Or maybe the networking nepotism of the Old School Tie set - Scots, Sydney Grammar, Knox et all - has the unturnable around momentum of a supertanker.
    Yeah, I'd agree with you. Think I read somewhere how Abbott's cabinet had only two non private school graduates. Turnbull's bunch of dimwits are from a similarly privileged background. Basically every national party minister went to either Kings if they are Protestant, Joeys or Riverview if they are rock choppers. Think you'll have to wait for a few labor governments to get asian faces in cabinet.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Anyone is qualified to be a politician (example Pauline Hanson) but not everyone is qualified to be doctors, lawyers etc.

$ attracts talents. The problem with Australia is that, with only a few exceptions, are run by clowns. Why would you want to waste your time debating with eg. Pauline Hanson. This has dissuaded a lot of smart individuals to stay away from politics. Hopefully this will change.

Selective school tend to train students to be professional and professional workers. Private schools are more comprehensive and have better facilities. Why private schoolers are entrepreneur? A: they have better resources and don't have to worry about earning income to feed their family. They can afford to take risks.

As to punters from private or selective schools, it's non discriminatory, we all have desires.

However, this bring to a $35k question, would you spend $35k on (I) private education or (ii) use that on 100 punts (hypothetically that's like 100 punts at Ginza Diamond class a year!)

If you are from selective school your answer will probably be none of the above or maybe (ii) only.

If you are from a private school, your answer will be both (I) and (ii). Am I correct?

That's life!

Banned
    If your life is set because your family has old money to burn, then you are more likely to splurge on things like hookers, sports cars and black jacks.

I know for a fact that some kids are put into private schools to make connections so they can business later with their peers.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Thought this topic might engage this forum, considering its target audience. Just noticed today that this year, again, all the highest achieving schools in the state are public. The same old list: James Ruse, Baulkham Hills, Hornsby, North Sydney, Sydney High schools; before the private schools kick in.
    Now the question this begs - given the demographic in almost all these schools is majority Asian - are how many of the regular readers of this forum attended one of these selective schools? Where do all these high achieving school students end up? It's not as if the majority of our political or business leaders are from an Asian heritage. How come the vast majority of clever school kids are not represented in the Australian seats of power? A bamboo ceiling?
    The preparations of getting your kids into the selective schools starts from a young age, first you need to get them into a good primary school then into the "composite classes ?" And start the private tuitoring !

Only the top 5% top students get into the selectives then it's 6 long years of hard works preparing for the HSC in order to get a very high UAI like 98+ then you can get into the top courses in the top University .

Is it still 99+ for the Law school in Sydney and NSW ? And 99.5? for medical school ?

It's a very high price - how many families and their children are willing to pay and work hard?

Anyone else from north Sydney boys graduating class of 2013?

Quote Originally Posted by caff3ry View Post
    Anyone else from north Sydney boys graduating class of 2013?
    You were class of 2013?

So why aren't you still in Uni ??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast