Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Smoking.....

Senior Member(無間使者)

Smoking.....

where to begin..... i am quitting smoking cold turkey starting tomorrow....been smoking for a good 8 years pretty much with no break in between with a few efforts to quit but gave up after only a few hours. Did some calculations recently and it just suddenly hit me regarding how much money im spending on cigarettes... i smoke about a packet a day, pretty much cost 25 a pack so 25 x 7 = 175 a week. If i quit i can use that money on a punt every week without really feeling any damage to my finances since im already using it on smoking. Its not only the money but also a health concern... im in my mid 20s and i cant imagine how my health would be if i continue smoking for another 10 or even 20 years....anyways have any of you guys successfully quit smoking? i would like to hear some of your stories since i am pretty determined this time around.

Cheers!!!

Junior Member(有D料到)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigtitlover View Post
    where to begin..... i am quitting smoking cold turkey starting tomorrow....been smoking for a good 8 years pretty much with no break in between with a few efforts to quit but gave up after only a few hours. Did some calculations recently and it just suddenly hit me regarding how much money im spending on cigarettes... i smoke about a packet a day, pretty much cost 25 a pack so 25 x 7 = 175 a week. If i quit i can use that money on a punt every week without really feeling any damage to my finances since im already using it on smoking. Its not only the money but also a health concern... im in my mid 20s and i cant imagine how my health would be if i continue smoking for another 10 or even 20 years....anyways have any of you guys successfully quit smoking? i would like to hear some of your stories since i am pretty determined this time around.

Cheers!!!
    Yup, I used to be a smoker when I was in my early twenties. What annoyed me the most was my smoker friends, they would be puffing away and having chat when I around. I eventually ditched them which made the whole process of quitting easier.

Baby Member(留言版初哥)
    Quote Originally Posted by 123brainer View Post
    Yup, I used to be a smoker when I was in my early twenties. What annoyed me the most was my smoker friends, they would be puffing away and having chat when I around. I eventually ditched them which made the whole process of quitting easier.
    I agree.
    Must start with a better environment. Bust most importantly of all is you need to find a habit to cure your boredom and give you something to do so the cravings don't hit as hard.
    Easily said than done.
    I'm still smoking.
    So I have not right to talk.

Junior Member(有D料到)
    "I smoke when I'm banging a chick. Sometimes she gets a little pissed off when the ashtray slips off her ass now & then, so I give her a little singe....
    That's it honey move that fuckin thing, you want me to call again!"
    Andrew Dice Clay 🤣

Junior Member(有D料到)
    In all seriousness, you will quit when you're ready to quit.....

Junior Member(有D料到)
    I quit 15 years ago haven't looked back. At the time though it was hard. Like choc o block said, you've got to want it. First few days really tough. I just worked on trying to reach little milestones, if I can make it past lunch time and then push it another hour, and so on. Ditching the friends seems drastic, just drop out for a little until you feel strong enough to resist temptation. Changing habits help, used to love that first ciggy in the morning or right after a meal, socially with drinking that's a killer, feel off that wagon a few times until I finally succeeded. Maybe heading on holidays might be good time to have a go at quitting. Anyway, that's my two cents worth, all the best.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Choc-O-Block View Post
    In all seriousness, you will quit when you're ready to quit.....
    I agree. People always give excuses for their quitting failure but I think it's because they're not determined and strongly go for it (sorry if I'm wrong as I've never tried smoking so I don't know about smoking addicting). But I saw my father smoked before, then successfully quit. Never smoked again. First, he chose light cigarettes, then stopped. Says "no" to any invitation. He told me he quit as it's not good for health (not only him but children and other family members) and waste of money, so he decided to quit. Sounds very easy and simple.
    I used to have weird habit that I thought I could've not quit it (actually I had never tried to quit) but till I've been to Sydney, I quit it easily: no time to do, no supporting conditions.

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    There's some good basic advice in behavioural theory. Called catalystic change - like moving house, changing job, starting a family or even a loved-one dying. These event effectively rewire your brain so you cope best with the major change.

How's this relate to quitting smoking?? Well if you are experiencing catylistic change you can consciously bundle other changes into the event and as your brain is already 'wired' for change, the evidence show those additional changes are more likely to 'stick'.

The trick is to engineer a catylistic change in your life. A new relationship, perhaps??!

Best of luck!

Junior Member(有D料到)
    I managed to stop when i moved to australia. I have smoked a few times here, but do not enjoy them like i used to. So that reinforced that i dont want them. If you have the willpower, it is certainly doable.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Thanks for the replies!!

So far so good... thought i am starting to get cravings... damn dont know how much longer i can keep this up!!!! i bought a pack of gum so im just chewing non stop to keep my mouth busy.

Banned
    Don't have any in the house (obviously)

Don't buy any.
    Tell yourself you've quit buying them and quiting smoking them is just a by-product of that.

Get off that never-ending, poisonous treadmill.

I don't want to give you an out, but if cold turkey doesn't work (follow the above and it will work) definitely vape instead. You can ease off the nicotine strength gradually and be rid of the addiction. Smokers of decades duration in my family have quit this way.

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼)
    I saw my father die from lung cancer after years of smoking. It is a disgusting way to die. I cannot stand being near anyone that is smoking.

Junior Member(有D料到)
    The first step is to want to do it and admitting the problem. People find motivation via health, family or money. Whatever works for you is good.

I quit smoking all most 3 years ago and have never looked back. I did it cold turkey and went through some crazy nights especially the first couple.

It took me a long time to get over it, upto not long ago occassinaly I would have dreams that I had a smoke and would then wake up feeling so guilty and like shit.

Try and stick to your guns and remember that failure is a part of success. I don't know many people who quit on the first attempt and maintain it.

Champix is a option that is proven to work and you get your first script free, it has major side effects and isn't for everyone.

With all the laws around it's harder and harder to find a place that you can hang out and have a smoke. People are more judgemental of smokers and as a ex-smoker I always hated the looks I'd get.

The habit is hardest to break and i will not lie, it will drive you insane. Once you past the first couple of days the nicotine will start to leave your system and you will start to get your taste back so watch the weight gain .

I put it in my head that I wanted to quit in a year's time, I started exercise and changed my diet. Doing this exercised my willpower which helped me quit.

Sweeting will actually get the nicotine out quicker.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Really appreciate all the replies guys!!! I'm still going strong!!!

Junior Member(有D料到)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigtitlover View Post
    Really appreciate all the replies guys!!! I'm still going strong!!!
    Good on ya!

Quitting smoking is easy, I've done it loads of times.

I quit a while ago buy simply not buying cigs and cutting down my drinking as well.

i stick to vaping these days, but get pulled back if i starts pouring alco down my mouth, vap just doesnt pack the punch with alco

Banned
    Quit smoking = more cash for punting. That is all the motivation you should need.

Seriously though it is all about willpower, something that most forum members know nothing about or else we would be able to quit punting.

Both are highly addictive.

Banned
    +1 for catalytic change. I don't smoke myself but I think any addiction is the same in nature. If there is something that hits you like a truck, it will leave an impact on you and change your life. Just hope that the catalyst is a good one instead of a tragic one.

Good luck.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    So far so good!!! i still think about having a smoke but getting stronger every day!!! its alot harder than i thought.......

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast