Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Investment ideas

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    Quote Originally Posted by corvus View Post
    @YUG- Thanks for the advise! I'll definitely look into those companies you mentioned.

As to you EFTs are they riskier than the term deposits from banks?

Yeah I'll check out some contract work and see if they pay more.
    Yep, EFTs are much riskier than term deposits because they are volatile (based on stocks, derivatives, bonds).
    But they are managed by professionals so they will create a good portfolio for you and the risk is spread across.
    Since it is riskier than term deposit, the return can be high, in some cases as high as 8%. But I think, at current climate, probably around 5% would be achievable.
    Again, before jumping in, I suggest you do a bit of research. More research you do, more likely you will make informed decision.
    Also, check out Vanguard's site. They have good info on it.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Thanks Yug!

I'll check it out.

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼)
    Actually, they are called etf

I randomly bought some litecoins after reading this thread a few days ago... should I sell them off now? I made a few grand lol

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by harrycd View Post
    I randomly bought some litecoins after reading this thread a few days ago... should I sell them off now? I made a few grand lol
    Really? Nice work if you did.

Was it hard to buy them?

I run a fair few investments but this seemed a bit speccy to me

Used btcmarket on recommendation of a mate, I couldnt bring myself to buy bitcoins lol feels like I missed the boat with that.
    Took a punt on LTC's as an american mate was telling me about them (he was into bitcoin mining years ago but sold out at around $350)

Senior Member(無間使者)
    BTCmarkets for me too. I bought some bitcoins early last year and forget how much. Probably should check.....

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Quote Originally Posted by harrycd View Post
    Used btcmarket on recommendation of a mate, I couldnt bring myself to buy bitcoins lol feels like I missed the boat with that.
    Took a punt on LTC's as an american mate was telling me about them (he was into bitcoin mining years ago but sold out at around $350)
    Thought i missed the boat too. But this is just the beginning. We're still early-ish adopters. A lot of people know about it but either don't know how to get started, can't be bothered getting started, or too scared by media stories about a bubble to get started. But the technology is real and will likely change the way we do things. Maybe bitcoin won't do it, but some crypto will. Started a month ago and I've earnt more on crypto than my paycheck. Just invest in the main ones (BTC, LTC, ETH and maybe a little in Ripple) and you're good to go. Start now!!! Invest only what you are willing to lose and build up that punting fund to fund your adventures.

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    The best hedge for a rising bitcoin price i’ve seen is to be short gold. The bitcoin proponents see a parallel between the two and there’s no need for two universal non- cash currencies. So just one of them is expected to dominate. If that’s to be Bitcoin it has a very long way to run, likewise gold has a long way to fall. Or perhaps the status quo will prevail and bitcoin will languish as a subordinate to gold.

Quote Originally Posted by birch View Post
    The best hedge for a rising bitcoin price i’ve seen is to be short gold. The bitcoin proponents see a parallel between the two and there’s no need for two universal non- cash currencies. So just one of them is expected to dominate. If that’s to be Bitcoin it has a very long way to run, likewise gold has a long way to fall. Or perhaps the status quo will prevail and bitcoin will languish as a subordinate to gold.
    This. From what I have read and discussed it is similar now (unless you get on an emerging crypto-currency early) to investing in precious metal. If people don't trade with it though it loses its value. That is primary value with blockchain technology, buying and selling goods and services and thus cutting out middlemen like banks, payment system providers eg. Visa, Amex, retailers etc.

I'm looking at some ETFs now such as global x and ark.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Been looking at Vanguard since it gets mentioned a lot on /r/AusFinance.

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼) the_boss_king's Avatar
    bit coin or Sportsbet

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼)
    I bought AU8 over a month ago. Up $34k.

Not sure if i should ride it more or just take the profit. THe bitch about selling is having to pay CGT.

I used to think ETFs but they move so slowly. My portfolio mainly consists now of AU8, A2M and PLS

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼)
    When I looked at bitcoin, it was $9000. But I wasnt sure how it worked so held off. I should've just jumped in back then

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Are u able to transfer the money to your bank account with these bitcoin crypo stuff?

Junior Member(有D料到)
    Quote Originally Posted by bevis90 View Post
    Are u able to transfer the money to your bank account with these bitcoin crypo stuff?
    Yup, each transaction costs a bit to convert tho.
    Normally a percentage of the amount.
    Eg. Bitcoin to AUD -> transfer to bank.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Quote Originally Posted by yug View Post
    Like X11 said, punt less.
    But I have following advice:

1) You are 30 and without a mortgage. If you have 6 month of survival/rainy day money stocked up, go for a 6-month or more contract job. The idea here is to make quick money so that you can gather up enough money for that 20% mortgage.
    It's risky I know but you are in a good position to take such a risk when you don't have a mortgage.
    Having said that, it also depends on whether or not you have a dependent family.
    Also, depends on which line of work you are in.

2) Set aside 10-20% of your (fortnightly) pay for investment. Don't get carried away. Put only the money you are willing to loose.

3) Don't put all your eggs in the same basket: Diversify. Just don't put all the money on stocks or crypto-currencies.
    a) Crypto-currency (such as bitcoins, ethereum): This is a risky market to get into but the key here is to diversify. Just don't put all your money in Bitcoin alone. Spread it across ethereum, litecoin, ripple and others. Eventually bitcoin will go bust but one of the other crypto-currencies will go up. At that time, that one crypto-currency will make you all the money. Don't sell early. Note that this is the money you are willing to loose. It's a gamble.
    b) Low Cost ETFs (such as Vanguard): The best thing about them is the fee is really low and it's diversified and well managed. It's compounding and can give you 5% and more return.
    c) Peer-to-peer lending (such as ratesetter) : This can give you upward of 5% return.
    d) Low-yield Bonds
    e) Salary Sacrifice into Super: it will reduce your tax and you will accumulate more money on retirement.

4) Invest in yourself:
    a) Keep Learning in the areas you want to learn. Join a MOOC course. Not uni though. It's useless to keep going back to Uni; it just costs fortune.
    b) Stay Healthy and eat Right.

5) Act Now: Tomorrow is too late. If only someone had given me this advice when I was 30. Key is to start as early as possible.

6) Don't do it because it's a fad. People have great fear of loosing out. They do stupid things when they have such fears looming over their heads.

All of the above is nothing new. They are all over the internet. The key is to invest, have patience, and see it through the end.

Good Luck!
    What's your opinion on buying Gold and Silver Bullion for say a 15 year investment. Would the same amount of Gold and Silver be a better investment than the same amount $ of superannuation?, I know people who took money out of their Super accounts and bought Gold and Silver bullion

Senior Member(無間使者)
    buy some gold and silver.

Baby Member(留言版初哥)
    It all depends on the willingness of the mighty of the world to accept Bitcoin as it is. I do not think that if Bitcoin switchere.com/exchange/buy-bitcoin starts to gain strength, the authorities will look at this calmly. And if general bans begin, and the price of bitcoin may decrease. And the number will not play a big role here. Therefore, I am also interested in the question of whether this year will be successful to buy bitcoin with credit card on switchere.com/exchange/buy-bitcoin. Guys, what do you think?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast