Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: That's racist/homophobic/xenophobic!!

Banned

That's racist/homophobic/xenophobic!!

I want to discuss a couple of issues I have encountered at work. They have been bugging the hell out of me, and I am looking for a few other opinions. If you would be so kind.

I work in a male dominated workplace, with predominantly white and arabic men. I am white myself, early 30's. A few months ago, over lunch, the issue of the recent legalization of gay marriage came up. Everyone around the table said it was abhorrent, a travisty on our nation. and would ultimately lead to underage marriage and rampant paedophilia. Everyone except me was Catholic. Highly devout. I am a militant atheist. I laughed at them all, saying they should stop listening to talkback radio, and proceeded to provide actual facts of countries where legalization occurred and the moral fiber did not cease to exist. And I kinda told them all to fuck off and stop being so ridiculous. If they want to talk to their sky friend, then that is ok, just dont let your beliefs affect my, or anyone else's way of life. Extremely displeased faces grimaced at me. They seemed to be the sort of people with whom an intellectual challenge was a sign of weakness. "Ah fuck off ya gay cunt". Nice.

After this, the demeanor and attitude became, and has become quite toxic. Other people of Asian descent are all labelled as "fucking Chinese". At a recent bbq, some Chinese (with a limited grasp of English), were told "it's ok, come eat, it's not dog! We dont eat dog in Australia!" I swiftly replied "what the fuck man? you cant say that shit you fucking racist cunt!". I was hella burning. Just a few examples of the shitty attitudes I encounter, and find myself defending other races. I could write a book, but just wanted to give a few examples.

Am I being too precious? Or is this type of rhetoric archaic, and provides nothing but negativity to our society?

Or is this too deep for a forum about sexing??

Do your company not have anything employees handbook which outlined all the general rules and regulation and codes of conducts in the work place ?

Things like this usually come from the top, you have a senior manager or director you can talk to ? Or they are the worst ?

Junior Member(有D料到)
    Follow the old bartenders rule: avoid discussing religion and politics

Add to that: avoid talking about peoples sexuality.

Someones sexuality is noone's business as long as it isnt with animals or minors

You punched a hornets nest. No good will ever come from that

Banned
    your thinking is spot on ... language and it’s use, in this instance within the workplace and for those putting out the opinions can run the clear risk of been heavily sanctioned.

However it does take seriious energies and needs to be supported right up the line. Otherwise the person who raises and wants the issue managed as per workplace and ‘general’ community standards may be hung out to dry.

There’s plenty of lousy language used on this and other non punting forums. Plenty of poor language and attitude everywhere that demeans gender, race culture.

Bottom line not acceptable. That said I know in certain peer social situations I have been within a corrosive discourse . You cringe , say little or nothing. So guilty as charged .

My one take - don’t retaliate , with anger and equivalence, be reasoned, hold back on the profanity . Make it clear not on .

If you can’t get the boys to shut it, and see the issues, By all means record the incident(s) as it occurs and drop it in the HR managers lap

It is not in anyway enjoyable to be run down humiliated and the subject of sustained abuse.

Guess for all the fellas who may say come on , fair crack of the whip n all that .. apply the same test to your dearest and deeply loved ones .. for some that may well be the appendage.

99 Premium Member (特級會員) rooter's Avatar
    You are in your 30s and you only just realised that people are racist, homophobic, and misogynist?
    This is the reality of life, of society, of existence.
    You have learnt an important lesson.
    You are a much wiser man now.
    Next lesson ... people are also greedy, selfish, violent, narcissistic, ignorant, cowardly, corrupt, insecure, crazy, cruel.
    You have to accept that reality.
    But don't despair ... next lesson ... people are also beautiful, intelligent, compassionate, understanding, heroic, virtuous, kind, loving, intelligent, ... you just have to open up your heart, breath deeply, stretch into your favourite asana and absorb the beauty of the universe, then metabalise it, and radiate it for everyone to share ... Enjoy!

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    So well said Rooter

Quote Originally Posted by rooter View Post
    You are in your 30s and you only just realised that people are racist, homophobic, and misogynist?
    Next lesson ... people are also greedy, selfish, violent, narcissistic, ignorant, cowardly, corrupt, insecure, crazy, cruel.
    But don't despair ... next lesson ... people are also beautiful, intelligent, compassionate, understanding, heroic, virtuous, kind, loving, intelligent, ... you just have to open up your heart, breath deeply, stretch into your favourite asana and absorb the beauty of the universe, then metabalise it, and radiate it for everyone to share ... Enjoy!

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hu6e View Post
    I want to discuss a couple of issues I have encountered at work. They have been bugging the hell out of me, and I am looking for a few other opinions. If you would be so kind.

I work in a male dominated workplace, with predominantly white and arabic men. I am white myself, early 30's. A few months ago, over lunch, the issue of the recent legalization of gay marriage came up. Everyone around the table said it was abhorrent, a travisty on our nation. and would ultimately lead to underage marriage and rampant paedophilia. Everyone except me was Catholic. Highly devout. I am a militant atheist. I laughed at them all, saying they should stop listening to talkback radio, and proceeded to provide actual facts of countries where legalization occurred and the moral fiber did not cease to exist. And I kinda told them all to fuck off and stop being so ridiculous. If they want to talk to their sky friend, then that is ok, just dont let your beliefs affect my, or anyone else's way of life. Extremely displeased faces grimaced at me. They seemed to be the sort of people with whom an intellectual challenge was a sign of weakness. "Ah fuck off ya gay cunt". Nice.

After this, the demeanor and attitude became, and has become quite toxic. Other people of Asian descent are all labelled as "fucking Chinese". At a recent bbq, some Chinese (with a limited grasp of English), were told "it's ok, come eat, it's not dog! We dont eat dog in Australia!" I swiftly replied "what the fuck man? you cant say that shit you fucking racist cunt!". I was hella burning. Just a few examples of the shitty attitudes I encounter, and find myself defending other races. I could write a book, but just wanted to give a few examples.

Am I being too precious? Or is this type of rhetoric archaic, and provides nothing but negativity to our society?

I love to bag you out with your WLs taking taking pictures of your cock 🤣 but on a serious note man - https://youtu.be/3d8NthEFWow

If you can spare just 20mins, watch this short video. Religion plays a huge role on how we think about homos. If people here think its a bit too deep, you can hit me up via PM man anytime

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Quote Originally Posted by rooter View Post
    Well said mr rooter

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Huge, there are uneducated idiots everywhere and are like weeds in a garden. Let them be, their views and behaviour will cost them in one way or another.

99 Premium Member (特級會員)

...predominantly white and arabic men. Hmmm... Are you all tradesmen? Where's Beta when you need him? He'll tell you what he thinks of Arabs. He writes some funny, hateful shit. From my experience, 'middle eastern' men are not so partial to homosexuality, especially the 'Catholics'.

"it's ok, come eat, it's not dog! We dont eat dog in Australia!" For every time I have heard this line and given a dollar, I would be a millionaire. When asked, I tell people I'm not Asian, I'm fucking Chinese, and proud of it. In all of my 30 years living here, from time to time, I do come across this same ol' joke. I grew up in school with wogs, lebos, skips, nips, gooks and every other denomination that was thrown in with me in the early 90's. I had to grow a thick skin, put up with a few jibes, gave a lebo a bloody nose, just to make a point that I wasn't going to tolerate this nonsense...

What you're doing is admirable, sticking up for them, but... they will need to stick up for themselves one day, and deal with the racism one way or another... It's inherently everywhere. Honestly, I am guilty of it too at times and have been intolerant to mainland Chinese. Except the ML's... I'm nice to them...

Lastly, dog meat. If you ever try it, make sure it's black. I tried this in Vietnam, with a couple of Japanese backpackers. I can't say the steam versioned was very appetizing. But, the soupy brothy kind is yummo! Especially the drumsticks...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cmk76 View Post
    ...predominantly white and arabic men. Hmmm... Are you all tradesmen? Where's Beta when you need him? He'll tell you what he thinks of Arabs. He writes some funny, hateful shit. From my experience, 'middle eastern' men are not so partial to homosexuality, especially the 'Catholics'.

"it's ok, come eat, it's not dog! We dont eat dog in Australia!" For every time I have heard this line and given a dollar, I would be a millionaire. When asked, I tell people I'm not Asian, I'm fucking Chinese, and proud of it. In all of my 30 years living here, from time to time, I do come across this same ol' joke. I grew up in school with wogs, lebos, skips, nips, gooks and every other denomination that was thrown in with me in the early 90's. I had to grow a thick skin, put up with a few jibes, gave a lebo a bloody nose, just to make a point that I wasn't going to tolerate this nonsense...

What you're doing is admirable, sticking up for them, but... they will need to stick up for themselves one day, and deal with the racism one way or another... It's inherently everywhere. Honestly, I am guilty of it too at times and have been intolerant to mainland Chinese. Except the ML's... I'm nice to them...

Lastly, dog meat. If you ever try it, make sure it's black. I tried this in Vietnam, with a couple of Japanese backpackers. I can't say the steam versioned was very appetizing. But, the soupy brothy kind is yummo! Especially the drumsticks...
    The drumsticks just how large are they...I was offered to be taken t eat dog meat by friends family last trip to nth Vietnam this year , just couldn’t bring myself to do so... happily eat a horse however

Baby Member(留言版初哥)
    sounds like you work with trump supporters

99 King Member (帝皇會員) CunningLinguist's Avatar

Good on you for calling them out, but probably best to find another job and work with decent people as the chances of re-educating these morons would be quite small.

Banned
    Thanks for the input brothers.
    Its abit shit, because now I have been ostracized by the whole team. I eat lunch by myself, never get asked to go for drinks at the end of the working week, and pretty much get looked down upon. But if it's a choice between being one of the boys, or simply being a decent human.... I will take decency over pseudo friendships any day.
    I do work with tradesmen, and I work as part of a multi billion dollar company, Australian owned. The funny thing about that, the racial discrimination stops when a client or developer comes by, and is of an Asian appearance. Very funny that.
    My vulgar anguage is one of the only ways that I can communicate with these Neanderthals.
    Do I work with trump supporters, yes, absolutely. They dont deny it, and are proud of him and the good work he is doing in America and around the world. They truly make me sick sometimes.
    I would try dog meat. Shit, I've eaten raw chicken blood and rice in the rainforests of Thailand. I've had whale, raw chicken (judori, its really good) and smoked horse tongue in Japan. I've eaten heaps of weird shit. I would totally eat some dog.
    I love Lawrence Krauss man! Richard Dawkins, Stephen Hitchens, Bill Nye and Neil DeGrass Tyson... all my favourite speakers. I can go to sleep listening to NDGT talking about the universe.

I wish I could let these comments and attitudes just go, and be at peace with the fact that others will always have opposing views. But I'll be fucked if i let these small minded plebs, discriminate anyone based upon race or sexual orientation. I love all Asians, especially Asian ladies. I have many friends who are gay or transexual. I couldn't live with myself if I didn't take a stand and say "No, that's wrong".

Thanks again, it refreshing to know I am not alone with this issue.

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    The issue here is one of differing values and an absolute belief that one’s view is the right view: you disagree with me, I am right, ergo, that makes you a fool.

That applies on both sides of the equation and never the twain shall meet. Trying to get your colleagues to change their views is as likely as getting you to change yours. Back in time, you’d have settled your differences with swords so at least one view prevails!

The NRA in the USA have the absolute conviction that guns don’t kill people; people kill people and free access to semi-automatic weapons is not the issue. We think they are fools but they have an absolute belief in the right to bear arms at any cost.

The Chinese are focussed on physical extraterritoriality. The US are focussed on legal extraterritoriality. They both criticise the other when the reality is they are both imposing their will on the rest of the world because they are big and ugly. Try to convince one that what they are doing is wrong or what the other is doing is right!

I could go on and on.

Welcome to the human race!

Banned
    cmk76 — your dog meat line is gold. Thank you.

“Make sure it’s black.”

Love it.

Hu6e — never argue with a fool.

Junior Member(有D料到)

So you laugh at their views and tell them to fuck off and then complain when they reply in kind. You both deserve each other

99 Premium Member (特級會員)
    Its abit shit, because now I have been ostracized by the whole team. I eat lunch by myself, never get asked to go for drinks at the end of the working week, and pretty much get looked down upon. But if it's a choice between being one of the boys, or simply being a decent human.... I will take decency over pseudo friendships any day.
    I do work with tradesmen, and I work as part of a multi billion dollar company, Australian owned. The funny thing about that, the racial discrimination stops when a client or developer comes by, and is of an Asian appearance. Very funny that.
    My vulgar anguage is one of the only ways that I can communicate with these Neanderthals.
    Do I work with trump supporters, yes, absolutely. They dont deny it, and are proud of him and the good work he is doing in America and around the world. They truly make me sick sometimes.
    I would try dog meat. Shit, I've eaten raw chicken blood and rice in the rainforests of Thailand. I've had whale, raw chicken (judori, its really good) and smoked horse tongue in Japan. I've eaten heaps of weird shit. I would totally eat some dog.
    I love Lawrence Krauss man! Richard Dawkins, Stephen Hitchens, Bill Nye and Neil DeGrass Tyson... all my favourite speakers. I can go to sleep listening to NDGT talking about the universe.

I wish I could let these comments and attitudes just go, and be at peace with the fact that others will always have opposing views. But I'll be fucked if i let these small minded plebs, discriminate anyone based upon race or sexual orientation. I love all Asians, especially Asian ladies. I have many friends who are gay or transexual. I couldn't live with myself if I didn't take a stand and say "No, that's wrong".

The struggle is real.
    As a secular atheist living in The Hills I find myself constantly at odds with people. My daughter attends public school and is in non-scripture/ethics. The idea we in this day and age should waste precious education time and resources on religious instruction infuriates me. If you want to learn about your religion, sign up for a religious education institution or attend your place of worship, public school should be secular.
    Anyhow, one day without consulting me the school took her from ethics to a Hillsong sponsored play about Baby Jesus. I was furious. Now Little Princess decided long ago the whole religion thing was a bit of bullshit without any help from me. She described it as being like "the tooth fairy for adults ". I was not worried about them converting her, just the audacity they had to try it on. Had they taken a Catholic kid and made them sit through a lecture by Christopher Hitchens (may he rest in peace) on exactly how we know so much of the bible is bullshit and there would have been a lynching.

So short answer, people don't like you messing with their ignorance and prejudices. Fuck em, yeah you're being ostracised because of it but perhaps it has made just one of them think. If that's the case, if just one alters their behaviour because of it and maybe tones down the racism, homophobia etc then it's worth it...

Senior Member(無間使者) Shoryureppa's Avatar
    The only question I have to ask is.... was it worth it?

I'm sure you had the foresight to know what would happen with your comment.

You told them to "fuck off and stop being ridiculous" nobody I know would respond well to that. There are definitely more effective ways to state your opinion.
    "My soul has been spoiled by the world, my imagination is unquiet, my heart insatiate. To me everything is of little moment. I have become as easily accustomed to grief as to joy, and my life grows emptier day by day"

Senior Member(無間使者)

100% with you there bro Hu6e.

Everything starts with one person. You may find as one continuously stands up to racist dimwits, other like minded people who may have been too scared would start standing up too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast