Page 20 of 94 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Quote Originally Posted by cuteguy View Post
    It's all about money! The Chinese students keep our universities afloat (I heard there were 200,000 Chinese students in Australia). If this is true, that's a huge injection of money into the Australian economy.

It appears some Chinese students have found a way to get around the travel ban and arrive in Australia from China. Go to Thailand stay for 2 weeks and then travel to Australia. No wonder some people are raising concerns with the Australian government's decision to let students into the country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Niz-...ature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgUPbeYB78A
    It's not that much different from Australian Chinese who has returned from China and stayed at home for 14 days as self quarantine. If these students spend 14 days in Thailand they meet the rule for not being in China 14 days before entry.

I'm more worried about Indonesia our dear neighbour reporting 0 cases even with hundreds thousands of Chinese tourists visiting until the end of Jan. Wondering how accurate is their reporting....

99 King Member (帝皇會員) GoldfishMan's Avatar
    The virus can spread through a fart, but only if you take a "good, hard" sniff of it:
    https://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1180514.shtml
    I hope they did the research to back this up, lol!

Quote Originally Posted by CockoftheRoot View Post
    So much speculation!
    You guys need to chill the fuck out...
    Mate, it’s all precautionary and it’s a serious matter. Just look at South Korea, a week ago they might only have 20+ confirmed cases then in the matter of days, bang bang bang ! They now have over 600+ cases and already 6 death which is 1% fatalities!

And over in Europe you got Italy, it went from just a few to 134 (jumped 55 new cases in a day!) with 2 deaths already,

But the highest fatality rate yet came from all places but Iran ! 43 cases with 8 deaths! That’s 18% man.

As the Coronavirus now seems to be randomly popping up different continents of the world , it’s Not the time to relax any quarantine policy or entry restrictions! We don’t want to be the next headline , no ?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AHLUNGOR View Post
    Mate, it’s all precautionary and it’s a serious matter. Just look at South Korea, a week ago they might only have 20+ confirmed cases then in the matter of days, bang bang bang ! They now have over 600+ cases and already 6 death which is 1% fatalities!

And over in Europe you got Italy, it went from just a few to 134 (jumped 55 new cases in a day!) with 2 deaths already,

But the highest fatality rate yet came from all places but Iran ! 43 cases with 8 deaths! That’s 18% man.

As the Coronavirus now seems to be randomly popping up different continents of the world , it’s Not the time to relax any quarantine policy or entry restrictions! We don’t want to be the next headline , no ?
    I think it will happen here, it's just a matter of time.

Banned
    The stock market has started to factor in that this is more serious than first thought and has opened a lot lower this morning and our dollar has also dropped again.

Not sure how hysterical speculation is helping any of this but keep up the good work then!
    Where was the “speculation”? Only stating the facts here ! And some of the numbers I quoted earlier have just gone up higher too !

And for all of our sake , this is Not the time to relax and take it easy mate . It’s always better to do more to prevent the infection from spreading in Australia than doing too little too late or wondering what could have been when we made the world headlines?

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    Like I said, keep up the good work! You’re definitely preventing the infection from spreading!
    Come on now mate, no need to be condescending. I am not panicking over this either, but some people are more concerned than others and thats perfectly ok.

The only thing for the guys worrying about numbers is that they dont tell you the whole story and can seem alarming at first glance. E.g Irans mortality rate. But please bear in mind that places like Iran PROBABLY (I cant say for certain having never been there) dont have the level of medical care that for example we do, so the mortality rate is probably going to be higher.

I think the key thing to bear in mind is the simple facts, it appears the Corona is basically the Flu but less deadly, more contagious.

End of the day, as long as the lethality of the virus is low, its not really an issue. Yes, it will cost businesses in downtime for staff, but its just in the long line of things causing that, from IDGAF syndrome to I tried to out-headbutt a pole and lost so ill be concussed for a few days.

I feel like the real issue is the position its putting asians in. I have been very lucky, i have not felt any predjudice from anyone so far and not seen any apart from for behaviour which would clearly warrant it, pushing in line, spitting, the usual.

But i have heard/seen docos on the situation in America. People literally have signs there saying they dont serve Chinese on their shops, or people on trains pushing asians off telling them not to infect the train.

I am actually so thankful its not like that here so far.

Just live and love and let live.

Be safe AL

This is about the latest out break in South Korea:

另一方面,南韓早前一個到以色列的39人朝聖團,至今增至28人確診,據報大部分確診者回國後第二日去溫泉 、餐廳等公共設施,或如常上班及參加團體活動,相信社區傳播風險較大。當局表示,由於朝聖團全部是慶北地區 居民,加上以色列尚未出現社區傳播,確診者很可能在南韓國內感染病毒後,在旅遊期間交叉感染。

Brief Translation:

A church group of 39 korean people went to Israel for pilgrimage . Upon return, now 28 people from the group had been confirmed. And after their return, they have done the usual day to day things of going to work , visit hot spring, dining out in restaurants etc so how much risks this specific group had imposed to their local community is unknown ! Nothing reported from Israel side yet, but you would think the whole country will be very nervous won’t you ??

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Quote Originally Posted by studsg View Post
    It's not that much different from Australian Chinese who has returned from China and stayed at home for 14 days as self quarantine. If these students spend 14 days in Thailand they meet the rule for not being in China 14 days before entry.

I'm more worried about Indonesia our dear neighbour reporting 0 cases even with hundreds thousands of Chinese tourists visiting until the end of Jan. Wondering how accurate is their reporting....
    should ban all travel from Indonesia,.
    even safer: ban all citizens of China, Indonesia, Malaysia, Vietnam, Cambodia, etc. until a proven vaccine is found.

Senior Member(無間使者)

absolutely agree.
    the so called chief medical officer and his cronies should take personal responsibility for his stupid decision to relax entry rules for some 700+ students.
    if he can put them all up in his backyard, fine by me. (but probably not his family or neighbors)

I think we need to keep a very close eyes on the people returning from the Diamond Princess.

Reports from Hong Kong is that the way the Japanese medical people checking and clearing the passengers as Not infected is rather basic and not too reliable:

The fact is, 14 people from the US chartered flights have now tested positive and even Trump is blowing up on the people in charge of that.

England has the same problem with passengers coming from with positive once arrived in UK.

And half a dozen people from the Hong Kong Flights are now positive and they were all cleared by the Japanese authorities !!

Not targeting anyone or any group, but the well being of the mass must be of greater importance and priority over the few. and it is not if or buts that the whole cruise ship is basically a massive infected domain and absolutely No one should be allowed back into the community until they have been tested thoroughly with all available resources and technologies !!

Banned
    I think we need to keep a very close eyes on the people returning from the Diamond Princess.

Reports from Hong Kong is that the way the Japanese medical people checking and clearing the passengers as Not infected is rather basic and not too reliable:

The fact is, 14 people from the US chartered flights have now tested positive and even Trump is blowing up on the people in charge of that.

England has the same problem with passengers coming from with positive once arrived in UK.

And half a dozen people from the Hong Kong Flights are now positive and they were all cleared by the Japanese authorities !!

Not targeting anyone or any group, but the well being of the mass must be of greater importance and priority over the few. and it is not if or buts that the whole cruise ship is basically a massive infected domain and absolutely No one should be allowed back into the community until they have been tested thoroughly with all available resources and technologies !!
    Australia is too soft with other nations and won't be strong enough to bring in strong measures with the fear of upsetting them. The horse has bolted and the stock markets are now realising this will take far longer to sort out. Welcome to the impendlng recession later this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Pleck View Post
    Australia is too soft with other nations and won't be strong enough to bring in strong measures with the fear of upsetting them. The horse has bolted and the stock markets are now realising this will take far longer to sort out. Welcome to the impendlng recession later this year.
    I was just thinking that. The flow on effect is the big thing isn't it. People get sick, can't work, production slows down then stock markets etc etc.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Niceguy11 View Post
    I was just thinking that. The flow on effect is the big thing isn't it. People get sick, can't work, production slows down then stock markets etc etc.
    Yes, China and the world was showing signs of slowing even before coronavirus. Our dollar is at the lowest level in around 11 years, car, retail sales are crashing, interest rates are nearly zero, the drought etc etc. China's production is slowing and I doubt that Trump can keep the US stock market on the boil as coronavirus is just about a pandemic now. Imagine how insurance rates will rise after the fires, floods, food price rises etc etc. Lucky I am a positive man. Actually 4 Corners tonight is about the coronavirus I think. Might sit back and watch it with a Corona and a slice of lime.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboymcevoy69 View Post
    if you've gotta put fruit in your beer then you're drinking the wrong beer

will be interesting to see how this whole pandemic plays out, i reckon soon enough all rich people will be living in gated communities or on an island like madagascar while the rest of us die out
    You need to get a sense of humour.

Banned
    “ Professor Lyn Gilbert, senior researcher at the University of Sydney's Marie Bashir Institute for Infectious Disease and Biosecurity, said the virus would spread throughout Australia “sooner or later”.
    "There’s no reason to think it will spread like wildfire through the community or cause chaos," she said. “

“ Coronavirus poses a very small risk to healthy people aged under 60.
    “They will have an unremarkable illness comparable to a common cold,” Professor McMillan said. “

https://www.smh.com.au/national/expe...24-p543u0.html
    Everyone should go and watch Four Corners on iview that was aired tonight. Especially you cockoftheroot

Junior Member(有D料到)
    “ Professor Lyn Gilbert, senior researcher at the University of Sydney's Marie Bashir Institute for Infectious Disease and Biosecurity, said the virus would spread throughout Australia “sooner or later”.
    "There’s no reason to think it will spread like wildfire through the community or cause chaos," she said. “

“ Coronavirus poses a very small risk to healthy people aged under 60.
    “They will have an unremarkable illness comparable to a common cold,” Professor McMillan said. “

https://www.smh.com.au/national/expe...24-p543u0.html
    Universities who are lobbying the government to get their $$$$$$$ money back, I'm sure they don't have any conflict of interest.

Senior Member(無間使者)

Aren't those returning from the Diamond Princess subject to 14 day quarantine in Darwin before release into general population ?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by oldirtybastard View Post
    Whilst this may be true, I'm sure you probably have a loved one or know someone that you're in contact with that falls into that age demographic.

Being relatively healthy despite nearing middle age, I think I'll be ok and will get nothing but a really bad case of the flu if I was to be infected.

However, I'm more concerned about becoming a carrier who might manage to infect my loved ones and people around me, who may not have a strong enough immune system to combat it.
    Well the Chinese doctor that discovered it was healthy in his early 30's and it killed him.

Baby Member(留言版初哥)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pleck View Post
    Well the Chinese doctor that discovered it was healthy in his early 30's and it killed him.
    Well that's a scary thought isn't it.

I'm guessing most guys here would be around that mark.

Stay safe out there guys!

Page 20 of 94 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast