Page 70 of 94 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,400 of 1866

Thread: Coronavirus

99 King Member (帝皇會員) GoldfishMan's Avatar
    Have to agree, the level of mask-wearing in NSW is appalling. Went out for a walk in the CBD yesterday, I reckon less than 50% of the people in shopping centres were wearing masks. It's a slight improvement over Sunday... I counted consistently less than 2 out of 10 people were wearing masks. They were just going about their business as if there's no pandemic going on.

I think the biggest risk with NSW right now is that we have been so comfortable with what we've had so far, all of us have become complacent right when this Delta variant comes. This includes the NSW government.

I mean, they go on and on about how we don't need a lockdown because all the infections detected so far are from close contacts of the known infections. Well, what did they expect to find when their own health alerts single out areas where the known infections have been to and they tell only those areas to go and get tested? It's like a self-fulfilling prophecy!

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Quote Originally Posted by AHLUNGOR View Post
    Not their choices to remain in those countries. Flights coming back home were very hard to come by and very expensive. They all need help and it’s the government responsibility to bring our people home quickly and safely, no ?
    This were from early last year 2020. Didn’t they bought return ticket? so plenty of time to get home since last year lockdown, they knew it is highly restricted lockdown (no open int. boders) before the deadline coming back. If they got no money how they be able to travel and spend? At least they could borrow and work for it when they get home. plenty of vacancies right now, as we are shortages of staff in this country. Some are just lazy.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by suka02 View Post
    This were from early last year 2020. Didn’t they bought return ticket? so plenty of time to get home since last year lockdown, they knew it is highly restricted lockdown (no open int. boders) before the deadline coming back. If they got no money how they be able to travel and spend? At least they could borrow and work for it when they get home. plenty of vacancies right now, as we are shortages of staff in this country. Some are just lazy.
    Back in April 2020 a person I know was in the UK (not a student), traveling and working. When the lock down came and our Govt advised returning asap he tried to get a flight out. Lots of calls to the Govt had no effect and it took almost a month to get a flight and in the end cost $5000. This was a single guy with no family, no permanent work commitments, no health issues and willing to put up with anything to get back home.

Many people had to book several flights to have a chance of getting just one but this required substantial funds with the risk of incurring heavy cancellation fees (airlines were yet to amend their ticket conditions). If you had enough cash then you stood a chance but this created a shortage of seats for those that couldn't afford to do so which resulted in a chaotic booking system. Remember the rest of the world was trying to do the same. Prior to Covid there were 80,000 passenger movements per DAY going through Heathrow. Multiply that by a factor and imagine the logistical problems that resulted.

Unless you've been in that position it's rash to generalise, AH is correct, the Govt was sadly lacking in this area and is still dragging it's feet in all areas.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Quote Originally Posted by adahar View Post
    Back in April 2020 a person I know was in the UK (not a student), traveling and working. When the lock down came and our Govt advised returning asap he tried to get a flight out. Lots of calls to the Govt had no effect and it took almost a month to get a flight and in the end cost $5000. This was a single guy with no family, no permanent work commitments, no health issues and willing to put up with anything to get back home.

Many people had to book several flights to have a chance of getting just one but this required substantial funds with the risk of incurring heavy cancellation fees (airlines were yet to amend their ticket conditions). If you had enough cash then you stood a chance but this created a shortage of seats for those that couldn't afford to do so which resulted in a chaotic booking system. Remember the rest of the world was trying to do the same. Prior to Covid there were 80,000 passenger movements per DAY going through Heathrow. Multiply that by a factor and imagine the logistical problems that resulted.

Unless you've been in that position it's rash to generalise, AH is correct, the Govt was sadly lacking in this area and is still dragging it's feet in all areas.
    I Agree. always plan for unexpected situation. People should have emergency fund if something will go bad especially if they are travelling overseas. Like i said work for it to earn. i’m sure it was noticed call early feb/march it gotten bad but people are still ignorant not coming back asap. We are lucky to be in Australia where jobs are available everywhere, it’s just people are being lazy (the healthy ones). They said people from overseas are stealing the aussies job, jobs are a/v everywhere but it’s them who don’t want to work for their own future saving. Hence now they have very little saving or meet end to end.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BAM View Post
    I don't see myself scanning the QR code at the brothels though.
    I heard an interesting question posed by a journalist at a press conference held in Vic. The question was aimed at Brett Sutton (Vic CMO) within the context of limiting gathering numbers.

"What do you say about 100 people a day visiting brothels but only two people can visit a home" (as near as I can remember).

His expression and demeanor never changed and simply replied that there's a lot more families that visit than go to those limited number of establishments. I took the totality of this reply to indicate they are fully aware of the risk but not willing to expand in the public arena about our little "hobby". You might notice that no establishment of this type has been listed as an exposure site (apart from the massage shop on the northern beaches which by all accounts was legit). Given the number of close and casual contacts generated it seems statistically unlikely that there wouldn't be someone with a dark secret.

It seems that it serves no public interest by highlighting this activity so maybe if a venue was caught up in this it would unlikely to be discussed openly even though brothels are legal in Vic. (but must be licensed).

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Just as I'm getting the urge to go for a RnT again the covid restrictions are back. Will be holding fire til this outbreak passes over

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    Quote Originally Posted by AHLUNGOR View Post
    Not their choices to remain in those countries. Flights coming back home were very hard to come by and very expensive. They all need help and it’s the government responsibility to bring our people home quickly and safely, no ?
    I don't think it is the Government's responsibility at all.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    I don't think it is the Government's responsibility at all.
    Governments are not naturally occurring institutions, they are elected by a contract of indulgence with the people. They are paid by the people and therefore are accountable and responsible to the people.

If they institute rules and regulations for the common good which disadvantage some of its citizens they are duty bound to provide compensating assistance.

99 Premium Member (特級會員)
    Governments are not naturally occurring institutions, they are elected by a contract of indulgence with the people. They are paid by the people and therefore are accountable and responsible to the people.

If they institute rules and regulations for the common good which disadvantage some of its citizens they are duty bound to provide compensating assistance.
    Lol. You're saying that, "Governments are not naturally occurring institutions".. So is that why every country in the world has a government? If it's not naturally occurring then why is it everywhere? Like, "contract of indulgence"?! What does that even mean? Did you just randomly pick out some words from a dictionary and decided to use it?

Why should the government be responsible? If one chooses to leave the country during this pandemic and then all of a sudden found themselves unable to return, why should the government compensate them for their own choice?

A lot of people here want to travel but don't because of this pandemic so why should those few that do get to receive "compensating assistance". That's just selfish.

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    Quote Originally Posted by Meng View Post
    Lol. You're saying that, "Governments are not naturally occurring institutions".. So is that why every country in the world has a government? If it's not naturally occurring then why is it everywhere? Like, "contract of indulgence"?! What does that even mean? Did you just randomly pick out some words from a dictionary and decided to use it?

Why should the government be responsible? If one chooses to leave the country during this pandemic and then all of a sudden found themselves unable to return, why should the government compensate them for their own choice?

A lot of people here want to travel but don't because of this pandemic so why should those few that do get to receive "compensating assistance". That's just selfish.
    Where can people travel too now, apart from. NZ?

99 Premium Member (特級會員)
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy View Post
    Where can people travel too now, apart from. NZ?
    No idea but people are obviously getting exemptions because our current situation comes from a driver who's ferrying arrivals spreading the new variant.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    No idea but people are obviously getting exemptions because our current situation comes from a driver who's ferrying arrivals spreading the new variant.
    The driver was transporting, amongst others, flight crew from freight carrying planes.

Plenty of people still travelling. The likes of sporting teams.....ie our Olympic squad who are about to go to Japan. Professional athletes seem to get a travel exemption as no doubt do medical professionals who are assisting other countries.

Politicians, I'm sure would get a leave pass too.

I very much doubt too many general population will be taking overseas holidays any time soon. Plenty of Austalia to see unless state borders keep closing. Once the majority of our population are vaccinated then hopefully we have less state border closures.

Banned

Thanks, you've just allowed me to get to my 50th post.

I'm sorry you fail to understand, perhaps the dictionary is better off on your reading list.

People had left before the borders were closed and subsequently found they were virtually stranded. They have every right to return. The fact that they can't due to some arbitrary limit imposed by their govt isn't their fault and shouldn't suffer an exponential loss. Those that do wish to travel must have an exemption and therefore are fully aware of the consequences.

Banned
    Not forgetting all the Hollywood "celebrities" providing much needed work for our struggling entertainment industry (a pathetic attempt at cynicism).

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Quote Originally Posted by Awqjoq View Post
    Just as I'm getting the urge to go for a RnT again the covid restrictions are back. Will be holding fire til this outbreak passes over
    See you in 1month then hehe

99 Premium Member (特級會員)
    Thanks, you've just allowed me to get to my 50th post.

I'm sorry you fail to understand, perhaps the dictionary is better off on your reading list.

People had left before the borders were closed and subsequently found they were virtually stranded. They have every right to return. The fact that they can't due to some arbitrary limit imposed by their govt isn't their fault and shouldn't suffer an exponential loss. Those that do wish to travel must have an exemption and therefore are fully aware of the consequences.

The borders were closed last year around March or April. Do you have some figures on anyone who's left the country before the closures last year and still stuck there? Anyone who
    left after the border closures are owed nothing by the government as they knew the risk and cost but went anyway.

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    Where did you get this bullshit from and what do you mean by duty bound? Are you implying a legal obligation or are you expecting governments to act morally? If the former, that has already been tested in court by some fuckwit in India and found in favour of the government. If the latter, dream on.

99 King Member (帝皇會員) GoldfishMan's Avatar

Duty bound? No mate, more like public opinion bound. As in, if they do not reach out and help save some stranded Aussie cricketers in India, public opinion may turn against them and they might end up losing too many votes because of that. Or it could happen the other way around, they help the cricketers and end up earning the ire of the majority of the voting public because most people here don't want to import the virus. The government is just another political party, the only difference is they're currently in power, so they will do whatever it is they think will help them cling to power.

That's pretty much the only thing guiding them in situations like this. There's no law that says a government of a country must always help their own citizens get home.

Banned
    The borders were closed last year around March or April. Do you have some figures on anyone who's left the country before the closures last year and still stuck there? Anyone who
    left after the border closures are owed nothing by the government as they knew the risk and cost but went anyway.
    No I don't know, apart from the person I mentioned earlier. But then I doubt anybody else knows either. Conversely it's unlikely that anybody knows the breakdown of those that chose to travel for enjoyment (supposedly not a good enough reason to gain exemption) or for compelling reasons so there's not enough data to mount an argument for or against.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    No I don't know, apart from the person I mentioned earlier. But then I doubt anybody else knows either. Conversely it's unlikely that anybody knows the breakdown of those that chose to travel for enjoyment (supposedly not a good enough reason to gain exemption) or for compelling reasons so there's not enough data to mount an argument for or against.
    Yes, they may get exemption but they should take the consequences for the unexpected. That is why border is closed. People had plenty of time since early last year to comeback, why cant they get back? No money? how did they manage to stay longer there? how would they pay for their rent/mortgages back here? I really can’t understand those people who still travels at least buy return tickets and you’re set but know that is only for emergency situation and come back asap not staying there for vacation.

Page 70 of 94 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280 ... LastLast