Page 23 of 94 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus

Quote Originally Posted by Riff888 View Post
    1800 Chinatown looks alive again.Attachment 70160

Sent from my GM1910 using Tapatalk
    Thanks Riff!

It’s always a good sign when no one is wearing a mask !

Senior Member(無間使者)
    I’ve been googling for days trying to figure out why we are all so panicked about Covid-19, as opposed to regular influenza that kills hundreds of thousands of people every single year. I’m not being rhetorical, I genuinely want to know why there has been such an intense reaction. Looks like 85% of infected people only show mild symptoms. SARS had a mortality rate of like 15% compared to 1-2% for Covid-19.

Anyone know why the world
    Is going into total meltdown over this?

Quote Originally Posted by Basil22 View Post
    I’ve been googling for days trying to figure out why we are all so panicked about Covid-19, as opposed to regular influenza that kills hundreds of thousands of people every single year. I’m not being rhetorical, I genuinely want to know why there has been such an intense reaction. Looks like 85% of infected people only show mild symptoms. SARS had a mortality rate of like 15% compared to 1-2% for Covid-19.

The mortality rate in Iran at the moment is 11%?

Junior Member(有D料到)
    Quote Originally Posted by Climax598 View Post
    No infection. From what I know. Maybe their water are better. Maybe not tell/reporting but then many Australian still travel to Bali have not infection reported after coming back.
    Their water is definitely not good. Can't drink from the tap without getting giardia! They are not testing, so they won't find confirmed cases. Their government is currently relying on prayers. Seriously.....

Mortality rate isn't the only factor in determining how dangerous a virus is. In fact a lower mortality rate with a higher rate of transmission can be more devastating to the general population than a virus with polar traits, say Ebola. With Ebola the sympoms onset quickly and the host dies too fast for the virus to be transmitted to large numbers.

COVID-19 is scary as at appears to be transmittable in gestation before the host shows symptoms. Most reports suggest 14 days, but some cases have suggested closer to a month. Think about how many people you would be in contact with for a good part of month. How many people would WL/ML be close to in that time!

While 70% of 1000 cases for something nasty like Ebola is bad. 2% potentially 100's million people is fucking horrendous!

pay per pus subscriber

Senior Member(無間使者)
    life is mundane, we need something to instill fear into soc. It makes us feel human/alive just like watching a horror movie. I feel very sorry for the chinese restaurants and business that have been forced to close out of our stupidity. On the plus, lobsters are cheaper.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Quote Originally Posted by retrospect View Post
    The flu does not kill hundreds of thousands of people in Australia each year. It kills 1 or 2 thousand. There are only about 150k deaths in Australia each year in total.

SARS is a scary disease but it doesn't spread as readily as COVID19. MERS is even worse at 45% fatality rate, bird flu is 80% or something. But we are very unlikely to have an outbreak of any of these diseases. We are unlikely to not have a COVID19 outbreak here.

The estimate for Australia in the event of a large COVID19 outbreak (with 50% of the population infected) is about 1.4-1.6 million requiring hospitalisation (I forget how many for ICU, but it was a lot) and over 200 thousand dead. We do not have 1.4-1.6 million hospital beds available and we do not have tens of thousands of ICU beds. I do not believe we will take actions similar to the Chinese to limit the spread. Hopefully we won't have a large outbreak. I don't see how we wont, but we can hope. The real issue is that 15% or so of cases have serious pneumonia. That would put an impossible strain on our health system and people will also die from other things because they can't get treatment.
    With 50% of the population being infected, how is the number only 1.4 - 1.5 million ? Surely our population is bigger than 3 million ?

Absolutely agree. Australia is not ready for the outbreak. We do not have enough hospital facilities nor medical staff to deal with the outbreak here.

And when the virus does land, they won't implement strong quarantine measures like China. Thus the spread will be "fast & furious" like Italy and Korea.

As of yesterday. Flights from Korea and Japan are still landing without restrictions.

Banned
    is condom made in China? Might we run out of stock?

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Quote Originally Posted by retrospect View Post
    Roughly speaking : Population 26 million, infected 12 million, serious 1.8 million, hospitalised 1.4-1.6 million, ICU several hundred thousand, dead over 200k.

The focus needs to be on slowing the spread once it gets here so these cases are spread out over a longer time frame. Even over a year we will be seriously challenged by those numbers. If it gets into the community just before winter that is not favourable.

Cancelling events like Mardi gras and the f1 have obviously huge costs. As does closing borders, etc. The estimates above are best guess with many unknowns and also involve huge costs. Not easy decisions.
    Yes agree that once it gets here, and it will, how do we limit the spread.

So far govt agencies here are still not doing near enough. As of yesterday's visit at the airport. There still aren't any temperature scanners deployed anywhere !! So many other countries have already implemented them as basic measure... But not here ??

Custom officers are also not wearing any face masks...

If we are still allowing flights in from countries with large increases of infected on a daily basis, in talking about Japan, Korea and Italy. At least have some level of checks for people who are entering our borders right ?

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Similar to New Zealand. Fresh back from Iran beautician in Gold Coast has been tested positive for Covid-19 and has interacted with 40 customers on Thur alone...

Maybe they shld be applying the same 14 day quarantine procedure to those coming in from those huge outbreak countries like Iran, Japan, Korea and Italy ?

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼)
    Quote Originally Posted by studsg View Post
    Similar to New Zealand. Fresh back from Iran beautician in Gold Coast has been tested positive for Covid-19 and has interacted with 40 customers on Thur alone...

Maybe they shld be applying the same 14 day quarantine procedure to those coming in from those huge outbreak countries like Iran, Japan, Korea and Italy ?

Chill out dude. Take a page out of the orange guy's book. Embrace the virus the recession and all that shit. Everyones gonna die anyway

https://www.businessinsider.com/coro...cussion-2020-2

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Quote Originally Posted by sukeong View Post
    Chill out dude. Take a page out of the orange guy's book. Embrace the virus the recession and all that shit. Everyones gonna die anyway

https://www.businessinsider.com/coro...cussion-2020-2
    Lol... Yes I shld take a chill pill. That's a good article for those who say only China practice the muzzling of medical professionals from speaking

It won’t really hit the Aussie life style until the footy seasons start and all AFL and NRL games will have to be cancelled ?

This virus doesn't like the hot weather so we still have at least a month before it starts getting cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by Riff888 View Post
    This virus doesn't like the hot weather so we still have at least a month before it starts getting cooler.

I hope you are right ?

So the summer Olympics will be safe ?

Banned
    I highly doubt Tokyo 2020 will go ahead

The US victim from Washington has not traveled overseas nor has been in contact with people from China, yet she got the virus and died. Should it be called Washington virus ?

Yes, it is said that the virus can’t survive temperature over 28°.
    Directory of After Reports by wilisno
    http://www.aus99forum.com/showthread...ectory+reports
    Collections of frequently used Abbreviations
    http://www.aus99forum.com/showthread...-Abbreviations

Super Fans (忠實Fans)

Im with Basil on this one.

Still dont really get the panic, and in reference to ALs Iranian Mortalilty rate, i think i already put something forward around their grade of hospital and medical care opposed to others is likely a factor. Not to say your opinion didnt mean anything mate.

Im quite certain way more than the numbers stated (specifically in AU) have the virus, or, probably more appropriately HAVE had it.

At work we got multiple people with sore throats and a "chesty" cough, known symptons of Coro.

They WFH for a few days or take a bit of time off (usually not more than 4 days) and they are back right as rain.

When asked, all they took was over the counter stuff. Your basic cough medicine cold n flu tablets etc.

Now MAYBE it WAS just your average friendly neighbourhood cold/flu. But if the contagiousness of Coro is to be trusted, its more than likely that that was what it was.

And those multiple people sneezing coughing om public transport? Yeah probably experiencing a touch of the Coro as well.

Look.
    The bottom line is this. This does not seem to be the plague 2, return of the plague. Or Black Death 2: the blackening.

If you are scared and concerned thats fine. Do what you need to do, to assure yourself and your loved ones of your safety.

But understand that fear, makes you incredibly easy to control. So easy that you'll buy masks off me for more than the price of a triple diamond at Ginza for a paltry pack of 10. Youll buy because your scared, and it will be childs play for me to convince you those masks are your only chance of survival.

Not that im selling any.

Its basically businesses suffering, xenophobia, and economy issues that are the biggest negative outcomes of Coro.

Imo anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by AHLUNGOR View Post
    I hope you are right ?

So the summer Olympics will be safe ?
    It might be too late for Japan since more people are getting infected.

Junior Member(有D料到)
    The olympics is one big giant orgy, things could go south pretty fast...

Page 23 of 94 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast