Page 84 of 94 FirstFirst ... 34748283848586 ... LastLast
Results 1,661 to 1,680 of 1866

Thread: Coronavirus

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    Quote Originally Posted by studsg View Post
    There are many countries with many different models of approach to "living with Covid". Unfortunately, our leaders have chosen the UK model of letting the infection run wild.

Just sharing from what we see in Singapore. They too eased restrictions and went into the same mode of "living with Covid". But they have daily numbers between 200-300 range. And this is a high density city where social distancing is near impossible, everyone is packed in apartments with shared corridors and lifts. They kept QR codes, retail density limits, social distance limits, face mask rules both indoors and outdoors... Seems to make a big difference.

Numbers from the official Health Ministry in Singapore

https://www.moh.gov.sg/

They also have a statistics page which shows of the number of people in hospital, which are vaccinated or unvaccinated. So there isn't any ambiguity

https://www.moh.gov.sg/covid-19/statistics/
    We should have opened up with masks and QR codes like HK and SG but Dom wanted the popularity vote and didnt listen to the medical advice. Wearing masks and QR codes do not affect opening up and it was a logical step that should have been done. Western countries seem to have bigger issues with the "rights" and the use of masks where masks are much are normal in asian countries.

Unless i cant find it, i doubt australia will publish the data for number of vaxxed/unvaxxed in hospital apart from in some reports as the number of unvaxxed will slowly rise in the next few weeks simply because majority or the population are vaxxed so even if 10% of vaccinated people end up in hospital and 100% of unvaxxed end up in hospital, the number of vaccinated will be more. if you look at the 16+ years olds as an example, 93.5% of them are double vaxxed. 10% of 93% is 9.3% of population (that are vaccinated) will end up in hospital against the 6.5% of population that aren't vaccinated. Im not sure if the theory is fully right but you get the drift. the anti vaxxers will wrongly use the rising numbers of vaccinated in hospitals without showing context like this and say the vaccine is not effective and many people arent smart enough to realise and will blinded follow the anti vaxxers advice like sheep.

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldfishMan View Post
    That may be true, but the difference here is she never got to executing the reopening, he did.

Nobody knows how she would’ve done it. More cautiously or less? All we can do is consider what they have been doing or saying before all this and it all indicates that she’s the more cautious type, whereas he’s always been against lockdowns and always been pro economy above all else.

Tell you what… those small business owners would surely prefer a more controlled reopening than just letting all hell break loose. Now it is clear that people are locking down on their own.
    She was going to do exactly what he did. All he did was delay her plan for two weeks. Don't shoot me I am only the messenger on the facts.

Quote Originally Posted by wachumba View Post
    . 10% of 93% is 9.3% of population (that are vaccinated) will end up in hospital against the 6.5% of population that aren't vaccinated. Im not sure if the theory is fully right but you get the drift. the anti vaxxers will wrongly use the rising numbers of vaccinated in hospitals without showing context
    Yeah, that is the maths I couldn't figure out but is true. Or it's related ie, two thirds of ICUs are unvaxxed, but if 100% of us were vaxxed, there is sone logic that is telling me that ICU's would be more than just one third of the present ratio. Any takers?

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    Soon or later we all catch it so just need to prepare for bad situation happen. Take vitamin C, and Armaforce daily should be good.

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    She was going to do exactly what he did. All he did was delay her plan for two weeks. Don't shoot me I am only the messenger on the facts.
    Gladys might have delayed it even longer or changed the rules to still require masks and qr as she took the health advice more seriously that Dom doesn't care for. We will never know what she would have done buy I would still prefer to have her still as the premier.

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
    Yeah, that is the maths I couldn't figure out but is true. Or it's related ie, two thirds of ICUs are unvaxxed, but if 100% of us were vaxxed, there is sone logic that is telling me that ICU's would be more than just one third of the present ratio. Any takers?
    Statistically, it should be higher than the one third if 100% vaxxed. Some of those two thirds could have ended up in hospital even with the vaccine as the vaccine is not 100% effective at stopping severe symptoms. Even less so with omicron.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Quote Originally Posted by wachumba View Post
    Statistically, it should be higher than the one third if 100% vaxxed. Some of those two thirds could have ended up in hospital even with the vaccine as the vaccine is not 100% effective at stopping severe symptoms. Even less so with omicron.
    All we can do is make assumptions unless NSW Health releases numbers of unvax vs vaxxed in hospital and ICU.

But going by what the stats in SG say, 50% of their hospitalised are unvax, followed by 35% who only had 1 jab and 15% are vaxxed. This may or may not apply here, but I'll wager it'll be similar or close.

Of course in the 1 jab group, we know will not have adequate protection against any strain...

Agree with Bro Goldfishman in that it's very concerning that both hospitalisation and ICU has doubled in 1 week. With the leaders signalling a move to herd immunity (where Sweden tried & failed) and introduction of the new definition of Close Contact. We know this number will just keep climbing until our hospital and Ambo service is overwhelmed

99 King Member (帝皇會員) GoldfishMan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    Why would I shoot you, lol!

Look, “going to” does not equal “has done”. Like I said, nobody knows what she would’ve done, not you not me. All we know is, thank you very much icac, DP ended up in the hot seat and was the one who has done it the way that it has been done. Nobody can go back in time to replay the whole thing with Gladys there.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Quote Originally Posted by AHLUNGOR View Post
    The safest place on earth as far as Covid safe goes is Hong Kong right now . Not so much the government doing the right thing but the people doing the right things to protect themselves and their families.
    Thank you Bro ALG for pointing out how well HK has prevented a massive outbreak of Covid infections despite only having 68% of its population vaccinated.

Had a read. They did studies and "modelling" and arrived at non-medical intervention was key to prevention of massive infections. By this they employed not only masks and social distancing. The 2 key ingredients were 1 - any positive cases were taken away for hospital isolation (taken out of the community). 2 - deploy massive amount of resources to testing including where cases turn up in some suburbs, they would send teams to test every apartment in the area and move all positive cases to hospital for isolation.

This has resulted in only having less than 10 new cases daily (mostly return travellers), even in earlier waves they never exceeded 180 cases per day.

Well done Hong Kong.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/william...h=4a051f386f86

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...252-2/fulltext

Senior Member(無間使者)

Look, “going to” does not equal “has done”. Like I said, nobody knows what she would’ve done, not you not me. All we know is, thank you very much icac, DP ended up in the hot seat and was the one who has done it the way that it has been done. Nobody can go back in time to replay the whole thing with Gladys there.
    Exactly! Also, those saying “Gladys wanted to open up on December 1st” seem to have entirely forgotten that there was no Omicron here in NSW at the time. Then DP became premier and said he’ll do away with QR codes + masks and then blindly stuck to his word even while Omicron was causing case numbers to shoot up and it being obviously a bad decision to stick to the plan.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    All we can do is make assumptions unless NSW Health releases numbers of unvax vs vaxxed in hospital and ICU.
    That information is on the covid live site.

https://covidlive.com.au/report/vaccination-status/nsw

NSW Health do put out a "Weekly" Surveillance Report that has that information, but the latest one only covers up to 11 Dec 21.

https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/Infect...y-reports.aspx

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Thank you Bro ALG for pointing out how well HK has prevented a massive outbreak of Covid infections despite only having 68% of its population vaccinated.

Had a read. They did studies and "modelling" and arrived at non-medical intervention was key to prevention of massive infections. By this they employed not only masks and social distancing. The 2 key ingredients were 1 - any positive cases were taken away for hospital isolation (taken out of the community). 2 - deploy massive amount of resources to testing including where cases turn up in some suburbs, they would send teams to test every apartment in the area and move all positive cases to hospital for isolation.

This has resulted in only having less than 10 new cases daily (mostly return travellers), even in earlier waves they never exceeded 180 cases per day.

Well done Hong Kong.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/william...h=4a051f386f86

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...252-2/fulltext
    Most Australians don't want another lockdown like HK.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...ntine-omicron/
    We're in the middle of summer with relatively high and recent vaccination rates with a world class hospital system that managed with delta that's far more dangerous than omicron. It's going to take a combination of natural immunity, vaccines, common sense and "living with the virus" not lockdowns. This surge like all others will pass whether it's in a month or two it will pass and with the variant being more like the common cold the world is not going to crash and burn.

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    Quote Originally Posted by DireStraits View Post
    Exactly! Also, those saying “Gladys wanted to open up on December 1st” seem to have entirely forgotten that there was no Omicron here in NSW at the time. Then DP became premier and said he’ll do away with QR codes + masks and then blindly stuck to his word even while Omicron was causing case numbers to shoot up and it being obviously a bad decision to stick to the plan.
    Correct, no Omicron on December 1st. So she would have have opened then Omicron would have circulated after that so really we would be going in the same direction. By the way I am no fan of Gladys. Their plan is for herd immunity now that we have a weaker strain. 21,151 cases today.

Super Fans (忠實Fans)

She said exactly what she was going to do and she would have done it because Omicron wasn't here.

Banned
    On a lighter note I noticed "Goodbloke" was finally banned, he'll be easy to pick when he turns up again with his next "handle"

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    Quote Originally Posted by gthgrt View Post
    That information is on the covid live site.

https://covidlive.com.au/report/vaccination-status/nsw

NSW Health do put out a "Weekly" Surveillance Report that has that information, but the latest one only covers up to 11 Dec 21.

https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/Infect...y-reports.aspx
    The covidlive link Doesn't show the daily vaxxed/unvaxxed numbers. The weekly reports are too late to provide useful information.

People want to know the daily numbers in hospital/ICU that are vaxxed or unvaxxed but I suspect NSW health won't out it out as they realise that anti vaxxers will use the numbers without context and too many people are too dumb to look at the fact that less percentage of vaxxed are in hospital against more percentage of unvaxxed.

99 King Member (帝皇會員) GoldfishMan's Avatar
    Silver lining in today's numbers, only 17 new hospitalisations. Let's hope this indicates that what they're saying about Omicron is true, that it is far less lethal than Delta. Maybe the pick-up in new hospitalisations from the last week were from the tail end of Delta infections.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Silver lining in today's numbers, only 17 new hospitalisations. Let's hope this indicates that what they're saying about Omicron is true, that it is far less lethal than Delta. Maybe the pick-up in new hospitalisations from the last week were from the tail end of Delta infections.
    Is it far less deadly, or do we have a much more vaccinated population? Maybe assume combination of both.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    On the 27 to 28 Dec there was also a lull in new cases that went 6324 to 6062. Hospitalised was also a small increase from 521 to 557. It's too early to tell, plus it's new years eve, many ppl are avoiding testing to avoid having to isolate during the new year.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamez11 View Post
    Most Australians don't want another lockdown like HK.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...ntine-omicron/
    We're in the middle of summer with relatively high and recent vaccination rates with a world class hospital system that managed with delta that's far more dangerous than omicron. It's going to take a combination of natural immunity, vaccines, common sense and "living with the virus" not lockdowns. This surge like all others will pass whether it's in a month or two it will pass and with the variant being more like the common cold the world is not going to crash and burn.
    There isn't any lockdown in HK. Moving the positive cases to a dedicated hospital setting where ppl get proper medical care compared to Aus where ppl have to lock themselves in their bedrooms, plus if there are elderly or immuno-compromised members in the family. You risk passing it to them by isolating at home.

The low infection rate also improves confidence for the rest to go out and boost the economy. Wouldn't we all rather be out there punting if NSW had only 7 new cases daily ?

Page 84 of 94 FirstFirst ... 34748283848586 ... LastLast