Page 15 of 94 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus

Junior Member(有D料到)
    Quote Originally Posted by snapjaw View Post
    I've been hearing that this virus can cause a 'cykotine storm' which can inflict fatal damage to the lungs of otherwise healthy young people. The doctor who first tried to raise awareness of the coronavirus has passed away at 34 (RIP hero), he was young and apparently healthy beforehand, and looking forward to helping out again once he'd recovered. From Feb 1 when he was first diagnosed it only took 5 days till deceased.

Some links here, admittedly I am not a medical expert so maybe someone with some actual knowledge can chip in and clarify or correct me. Links are from Reddit comments.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...211-7/fulltext
    https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...183-5/fulltext

Not trying to scare people or anything but I think more information is better than none. I think Australia is pretty safe for the moment, however we still need to be vigilant. Keep an eye on the surrounding Asian countries, hopefully they don't suddenly blow up too.
    So he did die then. Had heard that was false and he was just really sick and so now he has died.

A pity too he was investigated for spreading rumours when he tried to warn people...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by muni7ad View Post
    So he did die then. Had heard that was false and he was just really sick and so now he has died.

A pity too he was investigated for spreading rumours when he tried to warn people...
    Too true but what do you expect

Banned
    On a more positive note, brothels are now providing punters with face masks to stop the spread of Coronavirus.

D2EC5D03-ABA8-429C-855E-675382AD1916.jpg

99 King Member (帝皇會員) GoldfishMan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retrospect View Post
    I think he is referring to the fact that some of those who are classed are infected and currently alive will end up dying. So dead over total infected will underestimate the death rate because you are assuming they will all recover. You could instead apportion those that are alive infected according to the ratio of dead to recovered.

But that wouldn't be accurate either ss it probably takes longer to recover than it did to die. So I couldn't be bothered calculating it as it's too early to get an accurate death rate anyway. 2% isn't accurate, it's just an early indication. 2%of those infected have died *so far *.
    Yes that is what I meant.

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveGlove View Post
    On a more positive note, brothels are now providing punters with face masks to stop the spread of Coronavirus.

D2EC5D03-ABA8-429C-855E-675382AD1916.jpg
    LOOL!!

As for the rates, it should be 2 different calculations right?

A mortality and recovery?

If you have it and you pass away from it = part of mortality stat

If you have it and recover = part of recovery stat.

I cant be bothered to crunch the numbers but anyone got those? This will tell us essentially how "Strong" the virus. I.e high recovery and low mortality means its weak and vice versa.

99 King Member (帝皇會員) GoldfishMan's Avatar
    I've been hearing that this virus can cause a 'cykotine storm' which can inflict fatal damage to the lungs of otherwise healthy young people. The doctor who first tried to raise awareness of the coronavirus has passed away at 34 (RIP hero), he was young and apparently healthy beforehand, and looking forward to helping out again once he'd recovered. From Feb 1 when he was first diagnosed it only took 5 days till deceased.

Some links here, admittedly I am not a medical expert so maybe someone with some actual knowledge can chip in and clarify or correct me. Links are from Reddit comments.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...211-7/fulltext
    https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...183-5/fulltext

Not trying to scare people or anything but I think more information is better than none. I think Australia is pretty safe for the moment, however we still need to be vigilant. Keep an eye on the surrounding Asian countries, hopefully they don't suddenly blow up too.
    Correct spelling is cytokine storm.... Causes your own immune system to attack your own body, which is why healthier, stronger people die from it more often than weaker ones. The Spanish Flu from 1918 - 1919 caused the same condition, killed mostly otherwise young and healthy people.
    I didn't hear this rumour but Geez if this new virus really causes cytokine storm, we are seriously fucked. That shit is really really hard to recover from!

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Thanks for the correction Goldfish, I told you I wasn't an expert

Right now the official recovery rate looks better than mortalities but given the rumours of mass cremations by the Chinese authorities, I'm wondering what the real numbers are like.

Junior Member(有D料到)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pleck View Post
    Too true but what do you expect
    I know but can dream. Would have been dealt with by now if responded earlier maybe.. Flashbacks of that Chernobyl series with playing things down until they no longer could.

Junior Member(有D料到)
    Quote Originally Posted by F0x View Post
    LOOL!!

As for the rates, it should be 2 different calculations right?

A mortality and recovery?

If you have it and you pass away from it = part of mortality stat

If you have it and recover = part of recovery stat.

I cant be bothered to crunch the numbers but anyone got those? This will tell us essentially how "Strong" the virus. I.e high recovery and low mortality means its weak and vice versa.
    Wouldn't recovery just be 100 minus mortality? Or counting those still infected in some way.

Another break down could be serious problems. While mortality may be low I saw something saying that a large percent need mechanically assisted breathing while sick..

Surprising stats coming out of Singapore this morning with 33 confirmed cases, which is a lot considering Hong Kong only has 26 ?

Junior Member(有D料到)
    Quote Originally Posted by AHLUNGOR View Post
    Surprising stats coming out of Singapore this morning with 33 confirmed cases, which is a lot considering Hong Kong only has 26 ?
    Not much transmission with the HK protests so people not travelling much? Singapore being more honest or more recent count?

Maybe just luck.

Banned
    The virus is spreading to many countries. Any plans to travel to countries in Asia would not be advisable and going on cruises now is a no no.

Junior Member(有D料到)
    Quote Originally Posted by cuteguy View Post
    The virus is spreading to many countries. Any plans to travel to countries in Asia would not be advisable and going on cruises now is a no no.
    A cruise ship got stopped out Japan or Australia recently and people are stuck there. Was thinking a cruise for this year but maybe not...

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Cruise ships have tightened up controls now, no more guests recently arrived from China allowed, and you have to bring additional documentation to the ship, such as proof of address, recent bill showing your name & address here, passport etc (acquaintance is going on a cruise today). Hopefully should be enough to prevent any outbreaks on board.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Cruise ships are the worst place to catch something, lots of people in a confined area, always sharing contacts indirectly by touching taps, door knobs, railings etc.

One of the worst symptom of the Coronavirus is the inability to breathe properly. Probably wise to invest in an oxygen tank and mask.

Junior Member(有D料到)
    https://www.theaustralian.com.au/wor...cb45f6d58e9418
    Imagine being trapped in a small room as the virus spreads just outside your door and you can't disembark, absolutely terrifying.
    On a positive note, the virus hasn't spread much here in NSW, its been stuck at 4 infected for some time now.

Junior Member(有D料到)
    Cruise ships have tightened up controls now, no more guests recently arrived from China allowed, and you have to bring additional documentation to the ship, such as proof of address, recent bill showing your name & address here, passport etc (acquaintance is going on a cruise today). Hopefully should be enough to prevent any outbreaks on board.
    That's really good to hear. Makes sense with how awful cruise ships are for sickness anyway. Might just end up with the healthiest cruises for a while with everyone being paranoid.

Junior Member(有D料到)
    Quote Originally Posted by dt333 View Post
    Cruise ships are the worst place to catch something, lots of people in a confined area, always sharing contacts indirectly by touching taps, door knobs, railings etc.

One of the worst symptom of the Coronavirus is the inability to breathe properly. Probably wise to invest in an oxygen tank and mask.
    The main advice I've read is that washing your hands all the time is the best. After touching other people or surfaces for good sanitary practices..

The breathing part of the virus is scary with so many infected needing to be put in mechanical assist breathing

Junior Member(有D料到)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clownfiesta View Post
    https://www.theaustralian.com.au/wor...cb45f6d58e9418
    Imagine being trapped in a small room as the virus spreads just outside your door and you can't disembark, absolutely terrifying.
    On a positive note, the virus hasn't spread much here in NSW, its been stuck at 4 infected for some time now.
    Meanwhile QLD got its fifth confirm yesterday or the day before.

Junior Member(有D料到)
    Royal Carribean banning all those with chinese passports on their cruises now - xenophobia escalating!

Page 15 of 94 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast