Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone's job on the line or lost a job recently?

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Quote Originally Posted by harmsup_jai View Post
    I have to say I’m one of the lucky ones , triple figure salary , our company is very stable and I got a bonus of 10k (pre tax) coming up . In addition I get to work from home everyday now until the crisis is over .

Down side is I work 7 days and long hours
    Great stuff on earning triple figures! Though you are working overtime, at times like these, we should be grateful that we even have a job. We have been busy with calls with wait times for more than 45mins. Expect these wait times with every call centre

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼)
    Quote Originally Posted by harmsup_jai View Post
    I have to say I’m one of the lucky ones , triple figure salary , our company is very stable and I got a bonus of 10k (pre tax) coming up . In addition I get to work from home everyday now until the crisis is over .

Down side is I work 7 days and long hours
    What industries is that you work 7 days and long hours? The only I know is the sex industry which is 7 days and very long hrs.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Quote Originally Posted by Climax598 View Post
    What industries is that you work 7 days and long hours? The only I know is the sex industry which is 7 days and very long hrs.
    I guess that is a common misconception for those that simply assume those on high salaries in whatever industry just turn up to a Mon-Fri 9-5 and get it. There is a reason why the expression "selling your soul" exists. We get taxed alot more, under extreme pressures at every turn and are ruled out for anything means tested. My tax alone is almost twice the average Australian salary. It's not as glamorous as it appears on the surface. For example, a single income household of 150k pays more tax than a dual income household earning the same amount. The only difference I see between myself and the next person that may earn less is the amount we are individually prepared to sacrifice to achieve those salaries. However, the drive to punt is probably the same

Learn Python, Tableau, Alteryx, SAS and SQL.

You could earn between $900 to $1,200 a day + super.

Contracting, Monday to Friday 9 to 5. No politics, no long hours.

Work smarter not harder.

Sent from my GM1910 using Tapatalk

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Quote Originally Posted by Climax598 View Post
    What about farming, we work 7 days really long hours. When cows are heifers are calving it's 24/7.

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deano68 View Post
    What about farming, we work 7 days really long hours. When cows are heifers are calving it's 24/7.
    Oh forget chinese chickens shop

99 King Member (帝皇會員) GoldfishMan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Riff888 View Post

Work smarter not harder.

This. However, I wouldn't stop at 9-5 mon-fri.... once you've made a name for yourself in the industry, your can really milk it. I've done multiple concurrent contracts, all working from home/cafe/mistress's bedroom, turning over more than $50k a month. That was crazy, 12 hours a day, 6 days a week of work, plus a ginormous tax bill at the end. BUT, seeing that money coming into my account month after month was an incredible ego boost!

Junior Member(有D料到)
    We've moved to full work from home, but there's a lot of pressure on people's jobs. Stress.

Senior Member(無間使者)

Work smarter not harder.

Haven't enterprises moved all coding work offshore ?

Quote Originally Posted by GoldfishMan View Post
    This. However, I wouldn't stop at 9-5 mon-fri.... once you've made a name for yourself in the industry, your can really milk it. I've done multiple concurrent contracts, all working from home/cafe/mistress's bedroom, turning over more than $50k a month. That was crazy, 12 hours a day, 6 days a week of work, plus a ginormous tax bill at the end. BUT, seeing that money coming into my account month after month was an incredible ego boost!
    Haha yes I knew a few people like that.

About 10 years back when I had an ABN my wife at the time was listed as an employee, this cut my tax in half.

We rented out our own place and rented an apartment in the city. I set up a home office there and claimed almost everything off tax, including the rent.

I also work 10 months a year to reduce tax.

Quote Originally Posted by studsg View Post
    Haven't enterprises moved all coding work offshore ?
    Nope, plenty here, just look at LinkedIn or Seek.

Offshoring is not that good. Communication, timezone, speed of delivery, quality of work of lack of experienced staff are major issues.

I still get called from recruiters almost daily.

Banned
    This thread was supposed to be about stories from those that have lost jobs and work. But the only ones posting are those with jobs and letting staff go or others boasting about how much they are making. Human nature at work!

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Quote Originally Posted by God Member View Post
    This thread was supposed to be about stories from those that have lost jobs and work. But the only ones posting are those with jobs and letting staff go or others boasting about how much they are making. Human nature at work!

I guess in a way it gives confidence that people can still earn money .

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Quote Originally Posted by CockoftheRoot View Post
    You pay almost 100k in tax?
    117k last year bro. And slightly more this year .. probably alot more if the govt tries to get in a levy to cover the stimulus.

99 Premium Member (特級會員)

Work smarter not harder.

So hypothetically speaking, what would you advise one start on to cut their teeth, assuming they had some time on their hands and were looking for a new challenge? I read SAS is supposedly the "easiest" to learn, but wondering if they weren't just saying that because that's where they started?

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼)
    Don't boast how much you make and how safe your job. You maybe the next you don't even know going to lost your job or die from this covid-19. This world pandemic is going to be with us not 1 month but maybe 6 to 12 months if we are lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by asiafever View Post
    So hypothetically speaking, what would you advise one start on to cut their teeth, assuming they had some time on their hands and were looking for a new challenge? I read SAS is supposedly the "easiest" to learn, but wondering if they weren't just saying that because that's where they started?
    There's no free certified courses for SAS that I know of, plus companies are starting to phase it out because it's expensive.

Tableau and Alteryx are click and drag and have online courses.

Python and R are free and lots of companies are starting to use them because they're open source and free.

SAS and SQL are both coding languages, 4th generation but still takes awhile to learn, especially without a coding background.

I would start with Tableau and Alteryx.

There's no free certified courses for SAS that I know of, plus companies are starting to phase it out because it's expensive.

Tableau and Alteryx are click and drag and have online courses.

Python and R are free and lots of companies are starting to use them because they're open source and free.

SAS and SQL are both coding languages, 4th generation but still takes awhile to learn, especially without a coding background.

I would start with Tableau and Alteryx.

English please people ?

Junior Member(有D料到)
    From the coding languages mentioned above, I think Riff888 bro is talking about working in Data Analytics / Science field with branches from Machine Learning, neural network, and artificial intelligence to automated system to govern data entry/extraction, storage, manipulation, modelling, prediction, and the most popular - visualisation.

The whole data infrastructure and utilisation shebang

Quote Originally Posted by Sanji2016 View Post
    From the coding languages mentioned above, I think Riff888 bro is talking about working in Data Analytics / Science field with branches from Machine Learning, neural network, and artificial intelligence to automated system to govern data entry/extraction, storage, manipulation, modelling, prediction, and the most popular - visualisation.

The whole data infrastructure and utilisation shebang
    Thanks Sanji, me old man don’t know much of these high tech stuff

Cheers

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast