Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Anyone's job on the line or lost a job recently?

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    Quote Originally Posted by mkkid View Post
    Should I learn Python or Rust or Kotlin for machine learning?
    <Nerd Talk>

I would suggest Python.
    It's libraries are quite mature and extensive.
    The learning curve is quite shallow so it is easier to digest.
    Plus, at the moment, it's the most popular language for machine learning.
    However, "R" is quite popular too.

</Nerd Talk>

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by yug View Post
    <Nerd Talk>

I would suggest Python.
    It's libraries are quite mature and extensive.
    The learning curve is quite shallow so it is easier to digest.
    Plus, at the moment, it's the most popular language for machine learning.
    However, "R" is quite popular too.

</Nerd Talk>
    Thanks bro. One thing I hate about Python (and R) is vectorisation.
    I have heard about Julia, do you think it will catch on?

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    Quote Originally Posted by mkkid View Post
    Thanks bro. One thing I hate about Python (and R) is vectorisation.
    I have heard about Julia, do you think it will catch on?
    Hard to say whether Julia will catch on or not.
    Julia has far way to go. So does Kotlin and Go.

As a scripting language that covers a lot of bases, Python is hard to beat.
    So if you fail to be great data scientists, you can always fall back on python web development, back-end programming, software engineering, and such.

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    Quote Originally Posted by dang4d View Post
    I have to agree with @Crusader on this one. SQL is more like a scripting language. I wouldn't call it 100% coding language.

But guys remember this... history will show that if you start studying in a field where it's currently hot jobs, most likely it will get cold by the time you reach the market. remember before syd 2000, everyone was into hospitabilty...
    I understand what you mean. It does not need compiling so it is a scripting language but nonetheless, it is a coding language.
    The point that tips it in the favour of being a programming language is stored procedure capability most databases have.
    They allow SQL to have programming constructs like logical operators (AND/OR), control flow (IF/ELSE), Looping, and so on.

Anyway, lets drop this topic. I can already imagine some of the forumers rolling their eyes.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    I build for a living.
    Balls deep in work, still bringing back 2k after a week, minimum.

Junior Member(有D料到)
    Thankfully still have a job, but it'll be getting real tight real soon for many, and not in the good way (considering the forum we're on..)

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼)
    Mark Boris say the unemployment will be 15 to 20% in 3 to 6 months.

Junior Member(有D料到)
    Still working very busy

Banned
    Even though I am self-employed I'm going to be fine too.

Because of not having to worry about myself it has given me the luxury of worrying about the plight of many of my fellow citizens.

It was sad to walk past my local Thai restaurant for example and see a handwritten notice on the door saying that the locks had been changed for unpaid rent and that it was illegal for anyone to attempt entry. I looked through the glass and saw that all the restauranter's inventory was still in there that the landlord must be holding against unpaid rent.

I'm sure they wanted to pay the rent but how could they when no customer was allowed through the door. A lot of places can't adapt to "takeaway only" service. Or it isn't enough to pay for their expenses and wages.

I'd walk past this restaurant a lot, and they were good workers. The Thai waitresses were pretty, the chefs made tasty food. On Friday and Saturday evenings they'd set up a pretty scene with a little table outside with a vase of flowers and little candles and their menu to attract people in.

Well the landlord isn't getting any rent with the place shut up, and he's not going to get another restauranter in for the next six months, so either way he's going to get no rent. So why not let them stay there at, I don't know, 10% or 20% of the former rental?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by God Member View Post
    Even though I am self-employed I'm going to be fine too.

Because of not having to worry about myself it has given me the luxury of worrying about the plight of many of my fellow citizens.

It was sad to walk past my local Thai restaurant for example and see a handwritten notice on the door saying that the locks had been changed for unpaid rent and that it was illegal for anyone to attempt entry. I looked through the glass and saw that all the restauranter's inventory was still in there that the landlord must be holding against unpaid rent.

I'm sure they wanted to pay the rent but how could they when no customer was allowed through the door. A lot of places can't adapt to "takeaway only" service. Or it isn't enough to pay for their expenses and wages.

I'd walk past this restaurant a lot, and they were good workers. The Thai waitresses were pretty, the chefs made tasty food. On Friday and Saturday evenings they'd set up a pretty scene with a little table outside with a vase of flowers and little candles and their menu to attract people in.

Well the landlord isn't getting any rent with the place shut up, and he's not going to get another restauranter in for the next six months, so either way he's going to get no rent. So why not let them stay there at, I don't know, 10% or 20% of the former rental?
    If a business wants to survive in these tough times, they will need to adjust the way they do business. Yes, it won't be easy and straightforward but some businesses are able to find ways to keep trading and pay their rent.

On the other side, I heard from a friend how he was disappointed that his usual coffee shop was closing up. He knows the boss who is well off and lives in an affluent suburb. He even owns a boat moored at one of the boat clubs. The coffee shop owner was closing up because he didn't want to change anything or do takeaways. That's his choice and he was in an area where there were workers coming out of the offices still requiring meals and coffee. I wonder whether the government should be propping up such businesses that have no desire to adapt to these hard times ahead.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Quote Originally Posted by CockoftheRoot View Post
    That sounds terribly anecdotal dude. It’s pretty hard to adapt a business that is practically banned and people are told not to leave the house. The government isn’t propping up wealthy individuals who can’t be bothered to adapt, it’s about propping up the whole economy to avoid a depression.

I was going t I say the same thing , how on earth are you going to adapt if you can’t even open the shop. Sometimes it’s best to shut down the business and start again rather than hang on and lose money .

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Too many Oz retail landlords have not been through a real rough patch so they have this it's my way or the highway attitude. Same with CEOs here, how many are willing to say they will take no pay until the company post a profit ?

Many true leaders who run big corp like Steve Jobs took no pay until Apple posted profits.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/03/n...imes&smtyp=cur

Banned
    I wonder if some good will come of the poor poker machine addicts having to go cold turkey?

This might cure them.

Also, imagine how much poker machine revenue is being lost by the clubs and pubs and state coffers.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by studsg View Post
    Too many Oz retail landlords have not been through a real rough patch so they have this it's my way or the highway attitude. Same with CEOs here, how many are willing to say they will take no pay until the company post a profit ?

Many true leaders who run big corp like Steve Jobs took no pay until Apple posted profits.

True, but no use comparing cockroaches with God himself.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by studsg View Post

I worked for a company when it had only 6 staffs including me. I worked over six years. I never asked for pay rise. Never request extra pay for working extra hours or on weekend. I was offered once, instead I told my boss, I'd ask for pay rise once the company goes on profit. It eventually did.
    The company annual volume growth 200-300k from the first I joined till 25-30M before I left.
    I did ask a pay rise just because I was so annoyed that a casual was getting double my salary?!! And there were these mid aged Aussie who have been asking for pay rise. They've worked longer, better and have more responsibility than this casual.
    But I was given a less amount that I asked for and was promised will be reviewed in six months. After six months nothing happened and I couldn't care less about it.
    So eff leadership.. leadership only useful within your inner circle and only if you have interest in the situation.

Banned
    its easier to negotiate a higher pay when you have another job lined up.
    Also super important to start your role on a higher pay - i.e., negotiate hard before you join. Always harder to negotiate after you have joined.

Banned
    I wonder if some good will come of the poor poker machine addicts having to go cold turkey?

This might cure them.

Also, imagine how much poker machine revenue is being lost by the clubs and pubs and state coffers.
    They might need to get some professional health to deal with their gambling addiction and withdrawal symptoms or they could try taking up some new hobbies at home or get active. How about getting a pet (ie small dog or budgie if permitted in apartment complex) to look after?

For those who have received compensation payments and were prevented from receiving Centrelink payments because they had a preclusion period and wanted to claim they had a gambling addiction by withdrawing funds at clubs or bars to reduce their available funds to get onto payments quickly, it won't happen while the clubs and bars are all closed. Can't use the gambling addiction excuse this time!

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Quote Originally Posted by cuteguy View Post
    They might need to get some professional health to deal with their gambling addiction and withdrawal symptoms or they could try taking up some new hobbies at home or get active. How about getting a pet (ie small dog or budgie if permitted in apartment complex) to look after?

For those who have received compensation payments and were prevented from receiving Centrelink payments because they had a preclusion period and wanted to claim they had a gambling addiction by withdrawing funds at clubs or bars to reduce their available funds to get onto payments quickly, it won't happen while the clubs and bars are all closed. Can't use the gambling addiction excuse this time!
    Can still play online

Banned
    What are your best speculations on how long it will be before the goverment lets intimate body to body businesses back in business?

You wouldn't think it would be a priority for them. The pubs and clubs would get a look in first I'll bet. They are a lot noisier in governemt's ear and not subject to puritanical overview.

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼)
    What are your best speculations on how long it will be before the goverment lets intimate body to body businesses back in business?

You wouldn't think it would be a priority for them. The pubs and clubs would get a look in first I'll bet. They are a lot noisier in governemt's ear and not subject to puritanical overview.
    No worry.Prostitution is the oldest profession it will be back in no time. Some are still doing outcall so it will not die easy.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast