Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Indonesian girl asks for welfare in Australia

Senior Member(無間使者)

Indonesian girl asks for welfare in Australia

https://www.smh.com.au/business/work...31-p54ft8.html

Does anyone think she should receive money from centrelink?
    or head home?
    or...?

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼)
    Need to pay. Not much use.

Banned
    Need to pay.

I don't believe in welfare, but if ya gotta give, then give fairly to all that paid taxes.

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼)
    So WL/ML most on student visa do you think they can get social security. They don't pay tax.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    This is the part I don't get. Recently a friend told me there were hundreds of backpackers lying around the airport cause they ran out of money.

Most of them are Americans and British.

Isn't there a thing called embassy ?

Countries around the world are arranging flights (including Aus) to bring their people back, the 1st thing they shld do while in trouble overseas is to reach out to their embassy who has the obligation to take care of their citizens. Arrange for flights back home.

The airport is still operating daily flights for countries bringing their citizens home.

Junior Member(有D料到)
    Wouldn't the foreign students be more well off than local students? Poor people generally can't afford to send their kids overseas to study.

Baby Member(留言版初哥)
    Overseas seas unistudents have to pay 30k per year to study. So their family should be able to
    Send them money

99 Premium Member (特級會員)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pleck View Post
    Everything the Government is handing out comes from money that they are borrowing from overseas. To me, if you aren't a permanent resident you get nothing. If you haven't paid X amount of tax you get nothing. If your parents can't send money then go back home. The overseas student study here is a scam anyway. After all this is over a lot of money has to be repaid. Life is going to get tough
    When you say if you haven’t paid x amount of tax does that include Australian citizens and permanent residents?

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    Quote Originally Posted by Climax598 View Post
    So WL/ML most on student visa do you think they can get social security. They don't pay tax.

Yeah because it's all cash in hand. However if they are working legitimately then they have to pay tax if their income is above the threshold.

Banned
    Luckily you don't get to decide Pleck.
    Life is gonna get tough, you said. And that doesn't mean u gotta help people based on their citizenships or residencies.
    Before corona, there was bushfire. It was not as global as covid. But hell, how many countries, non Australian citizens, non Australian residents, gather to help.
    How the hell that Celeste could raise 50+ M, were they from all Australian?

99 Premium Member (特級會員)
    Quote Originally Posted by Effindahead View Post
    Luckily you don't get to decide Pleck.
    Life is gonna get tough, you said. And that doesn't mean u gotta help people based on their citizenships or residencies.
    Before corona, there was bushfire. It was not as global as covid. But hell, how many countries, non Australian citizens, non Australian residents, gather to help.
    How the hell that Celeste could raise 50+ M, were they from all Australian?
    Agree 100%. It’s a real shame. When the bush fires were happening the world came together and Australians, helped each other out. It was the true spirit of mateship.

Sad that this virus really brought out the worst in people. A every man for himself mentality.

Banned
    PM Morrison has made it clear that international students should return home if they cannot support themselves. He has a valid point here. When people such as international students come to Australia, they are required to give a warranty that they are able to support themselves for the first 12 months of their study. Therefore, the government should not be called to assist them with tax payer funds. Our law governing Centrelink payments provides that only certain visa holders, including permanent resident holders, special category visa holders and protected special category visaholders can receive income support payments. International students are here because they gave an undertaking to support themselves. If they can't do it now, then their government should support them when they return home. If an Australian citizen is overseas, will they receive handouts from a foreign government? NO!

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sto...home-morrison/

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Migrants, on a study visa have to prove they have sufficient funds to support themselves for a year, in their bank accounts at the time of applying for a study visa. it is a common practice to borrow the funds to show a bank balanced when applying for the visa then withdrawing them when the visa is granted.
    Students are also required to take out health insurance, again a condition of granting the visa. Students can work up to 20 hours per week and as in the case of all the other free loaders, can claim a refund at the end of tax year. Often, particularly amongst ML’s and WL’s the proceeds of their work is sent home to support their families.
    Why then should the Australian government i.e. you and I support them?
    If the situation were reversed and it was you in another country I can assure you that support would not be forthcoming.

99 Premium Member (特級會員)
    Yes anyone. So you think it is fair that whether or someone works or not but does not pay tax should receive Government benefits? Don't forget the Government has no money, it's gets it from people that pay taxes. However, if you stopped personal taxation and had a consumption tax then that would be fairer as everyone would contribute therefore anyone could access benefits.
    I take it then I know your stance on dole bludgers?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Climax598 View Post
    There are many people on welfare payments who have never worked or paid any tax at all during their lifetime. However, they are Australian citizens, permanent residents or refugees who have been given approval to reside in Australia and have the usual waiting periods set aside because of their refugee status. This is why they are entitled to receive welfare payments if they meet the qualification and payability criteria set out in the appropriate welfare payment legislation. In some overseas countries such as Singapore and Switzerland, welfare payments go to those who have contributed to society. Australia takes a different approach as the welfare system is there to support those who can't support themselves.

On the topic of MLs or WLs not paying tax, it's a fact that they don't. Will a WL or ML declare her actual income from working in a shop to the ATO? Of course not! In the case of a girl on a student visa or working holiday visa, highly unlikely that the ATO will know of her employment status. In doing so, they don't pay any tax and in some cases, many live very well. I recall seeing one Indonesian WL showing a photo of her shopping on social media just a month before the virus hit us in March and there were shopping bags from various expensive brand shops that normal Australian workers would only dream about visiting. I bet she wouldn't be declaring her income to the ATO and paying any tax at all. Therefore, don't feel sorry for these girls. Worry more about your families, kids and close friends than those girls.

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    I have to agree that overseas students should NOT get our government support, they should go to their countries embassy and ask their own government to support them. As has been said, most all of these girls earn tax free dollars and more in a week than I can in a month (and I own my own business and the factory I work out of). Would any of you have felt sorry for them last Xmas when they were all out buying Louis Viutton, Gucci, Channel, Prada, Miu Miu and Burberry products. I had to join a queue at Gucci to get my daughters Xmas presents and most of the girls were spending upwards of $5000. If their desperate for cash they can sell their bag collections on Gumtree.

As for the dole bludgers they shouldn't get any money either. They should all be sent out to work for the dole, get them to do a 38 hour week helping nurses at hospitals they wouldn't need a degree to clean a bedpan or mop floors. Get them to do a 38 hour week helping local councils mow the verge or fill a pothole or sweep the gutters or clean the parks or paint the kids playground equipment. I'm sick of driving past housos at Blacktown or Riverwood and seeing all the mercs, mustangs, audis and beemers. These leeches need to earn our taxes just like we do.

Before any of the bleeding heart lefties inundate me with their diatribe...I do understand that there are genuine people out there who through no fault of their own are either physically or mentally unable to work for the benefit they receive. These are the people that need our help and I do not begrudge them the benefit they receive, in fact these people need an increase in their benefit to bring their standard of living up. The only way to do that is to get the bludging bastards who can work off the dole.
    My level of sarcasm depends on your level of stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by CockoftheRoot View Post
    Most international students aren’t sex workers making thousands of dollars cash free per week. Most are on minimum wage or lower doing things residents don’t want to do and propping up university funding with massive fees. Doesn’t seem fair to me to say they don’t contribute anything. Seems like you guys are just a bunch of heartless bastards.
    I agree with you on this. And not all students are from rich families, Chinese parents are willing to have one meal less a day so as to give their children a good education !
    Directory of After Reports by wilisno
    http://www.aus99forum.com/showthread...ectory+reports
    Collections of frequently used Abbreviations
    http://www.aus99forum.com/showthread...-Abbreviations

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    Quote Originally Posted by wilisno View Post
    I agree with you on this. And not all students are from rich families, Chinese parents are willing to have one meal less a day so as to give their children a good education !
    Agreed and I see some embassies are trying to organise possible chartered flights back home in the coming months should the prospects of extending lockdown be true

Junior Member(有D料到)
    A lot of people think that the WL/ML do not pay tax, well most of them are Foreign citizen so they are not required to have a tax file number, so if they are working in the legitimate shop without a tax file number, the shop owner will have the responsibility to take a big chunk of their money for the collection of GST and income tax purpose, only those working private can dodge the tax.

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    Do you really believe that? Come in spinner.
    They would be paying something atleast the smart operators anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast