Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gaining Weight during these times

I think I reached the point of desperation regarding my physical looks, so I'm trying to go 5-6 times per week. Sometimes it happens to go only four times a week, as I'm overwhelmed with work. I was obese one year ago, I managed to lose a lot of weight, and now I'm in the process of building muscles. I even think about taking supplements and some kinds of steroids. I saw here on https://rats.army/product/mk-2866-ostarine/ the research they do about it, and I'll try it. Does anyone here have a similar experience as mine? Should I try steroids? If you've hated your body your whole life, you know what I'm talking about...

Baby Member(留言版初哥)
    I think I reached the point of desperation regarding my physical looks, so I'm trying to go 5-6 times per week. Sometimes it happens to go only four times a week, as I'm overwhelmed with work. I was obese one year ago, I managed to lose a lot of weight, and now I'm in the process of building muscles.

I think I reached the point of desperation regarding my physical looks, so I'm trying to go 5-6 times per week.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Quote Originally Posted by God Member View Post
    5kg is a lot of weight to lose. Stressing out about something you can't do anything about isn't helping matters, just damaging you. Can you get some reassurance from higher up, or do you prefer to stay under the radar? Your reluctant work as executioner should have bought you enough credit I think.

When your appetite is back, tell me, what dishes would you really enjoy eating to put the 5kg back on?
    Ive lost 5kgs in 3 weeks by cutting out lunches, i dont feel better at all and i think i need to go back to having lunch and start exercising more

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    Losing weight is a long term thing, it took me a year to lose 8kgs and that's going a consistent 3-4 times a week + having a trainer + watching what I eat.

Obviously I regressed abit during the second lockdown in Sydney, but I got back into it after the gyms opened back up.

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼)
    Quote Originally Posted by toysrus View Post
    https://ibb.co/Bsby8c1

I did a 1 year body transformation during the 2020 covid year, with the goal of being in my best shape for my 40th this year. The after photo was taken January this year (at 65 kg) and the before was a year earlier (at 75kg), which means I lost about 1kg a month, when you factor in I probably added a few kgs of muscle.

The first thing I did was calculate my daily calorie intake requirements for my age, weight and activeness, you can search online for a calorie calculator. Then you calculate the food you need daily to eat to meet those calories. It's always easier if you eat consistently because it will take trial and error before you can work out your maintenance intake, that is the amount of food you can eat without gaining or losing weight. This is where the discipline comes in, every empty calorie you eat is taking you further away from your goals.

Next you focus on building muscle through compound exercises like Squats, deadlifts, pullups and pushups etc. Compound movements will give you the best bang for buck in your training, isolation movements is mostly to finish your training if you have time. It shouldn't be the foundation of your training. Like if you go to the gym and start doing bicep curls you are wasting your time because compound pull exercises like pullups, chinups, rows already trains biceps, just as an example. Train efficiently.

Your food intake should factor in the calorie requirements of the above training, meet your protein requirements for muscle recovery but don't cut out other macros like some fats and carbs. Cutting out too much fats could negatively affect your immune system which is why people who train a lot often get sick. You need carbs for energy, replenish your glycogen stores, carbs is not the enemy just be realistic about how much you actually need.

Then everyday I walk 10,000 steps which works out about 300-400 calories and that's my small deficit. I didn't do any kind of intense cardio, although if I did I would have been able to eat more. It depends on your relationship with food? For me I'd rather eat just enough to reach my maintenance calories and not do intense cardio, than do tons of cardio and eat extra food.
    Wow wonderful I wish I can get to that results. Did it improves you sessions? What did you regular WL say?

99 Premium Member (特級會員)
    RNT is more fun I don't go to FS joints that often anymore. Some regulars think I lost too much in my face when I was at my leanest, since you can't choose where to lose fat.

The hardest thing about training at 40 is managing your fatigue, eventually you settle into a schedule that works with sufficient recovery times. If you are too fatigued it will affect your sexual performance.
    As a guy closer to 50 than 40, the hardest part is setting the schedule and getting your body to adjust to it, once you do it for a few weeks, rain hail or shine, your body realises this is the new normal. You want to change your training regimen (don't do the same exercises all the time) but keep the schedule. Your body is your own worst enemy, it will take the path of least resistance.
    I know I'm lucky in that losing weight has never been my concern, so I train to be strong, to try different things, at the moment a mate (ex-military) and I are trying out a new regimen that wrecked me week one but now I've adjusted, next month we'll change it again, it keeps it interesting and if your brain is engaged then so are the muscles. I do 2 of my sessions a week in the park, bodyweight only (chins dips pulls and pushups), 2 at home with weights, Sunday 35 degrees I trained in the park, the week before I trained in the rain, I love it, everyone else fucks off if the weather isn't "perfect" which suits me fine, but that's just me, you've got to figure out what's right for you. Don't wait until Monday. Or New Year. Just start easy, get rolling, slow gains.
    And no for fucks sake don't go down the dark path, stay off the roids, seriously they don't work by magic on their own you still have to actually do something. Everyone wants an easy fix, once you've done the hard yards you'll be so pleased with yourself for doing it.

99 Premium Member (特級會員)
    RNT is more fun I don't go to FS joints that often anymore. Some regulars think I lost too much in my face when I was at my leanest, since you can't choose where to lose fat.

The hardest thing about training at 40 is managing your fatigue, eventually you settle into a schedule that works with sufficient recovery times. If you are too fatigued it will affect your sexual performance.
    As a guy closer to 50 than 40, the hardest part is setting the schedule and getting your body to adjust to it, once you do it for a few weeks, rain hail or shine, your body realises this is the new normal. You want to change your training regimen (don't do the same exercises all the time) but keep the schedule. Your body is your own worst enemy, it will take the path of least resistance.
    I know I'm lucky in that losing weight has never been my concern, so I train to be strong, to try different things, at the moment a mate (ex-military) and I are trying out a new regimen that wrecked me week one but now I've adjusted, next month we'll change it again, it keeps it interesting and if your brain is engaged then so are the muscles. I do 2 of my sessions a week in the park, bodyweight only (chins dips pulls and pushups), 2 at home with weights, Sunday 35 degrees I trained in the park, the week before I trained in the rain, I love it, everyone else fucks off if the weather isn't "perfect" which suits me fine, but that's just me, you've got to figure out what's right for you. Don't wait until Monday. Or New Year. Just start easy, get rolling, slow gains.
    And no for fucks sake don't go down the dark path, stay off the roids, seriously they don't work by magic on their own you still have to actually do something. Everyone wants an easy fix, once you've done the hard yards you'll be so pleased with yourself for doing it.

Junior Member(有D料到)

I did a 1 year body transformation during the 2020 covid year, with the goal of being in my best shape for my 40th this year. The after photo was taken January this year (at 65 kg) and the before was a year earlier (at 75kg), which means I lost about 1kg a month, when you factor in I probably added a few kgs of muscle.

The first thing I did was calculate my daily calorie intake requirements for my age, weight and activeness, you can search online for a calorie calculator. Then you calculate the food you need daily to meet those calories. It's always easier if you eat consistently because it will take trial and error before you can work out your maintenance intake, that is the amount of food you can eat without gaining or losing weight. This is where the discipline comes in, every empty calorie you eat is taking you further away from your goals.

Next you focus on building muscle through compound exercises like Squats, deadlifts, pullups and pushups etc. Compound movements will give you the best bang for buck in your training, isolation movements is mostly to finish your training if you have time. It shouldn't be the foundation of your training. Like if you go to the gym and start doing bicep curls you are wasting your time because compound pull exercises like pullups, chinups, rows already trains biceps, just as an example. Train efficiently.

Your food intake should factor in the calorie requirements of the above training, meet your protein requirements for muscle recovery but don't cut out other macros like some fats and carbs. Cutting out too much fats could negatively affect your immune system which is why people who train a lot often get sick. You need carbs for energy, replenish your glycogen stores, carbs is not the enemy just be realistic about how much you actually need.

Then everyday I walk 10,000 steps which works out about 300-400 calories and that's my small deficit. I didn't do any kind of intense cardio, although if I did I would have been able to eat more. It depends on your relationship with food? For me I'd rather eat just enough to reach my maintenance calories and not do intense cardio, than do tons of cardio and eat extra food.
    Bro congratulations man, that is a damn good effort.

I've recently put on a bit more lockdown weight then i would have liked and bought a rowing machine.

I don't know much about diet and stuff like that but i do understand the idea of a calorie deficit (burn more than you eat and you lose weight).

Got any tips for me man?

Senior Member(無間使者)
    The secret is to fit the exercise in every day so that it becomes a habit. I found if I have to do some kind of thing every day, when I don't I feel guilty, or deflated as the regular neurotransmitter hit becomes addictive. Motivations

If you can only do something for 15 minutes each day then that is it. I thoroughly recommend biking walking running to the local park or gym as part of the exercise. Silly driving to the gym.

99 Premium Member (特級會員)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamit View Post
    The secret is to fit the exercise in every day so that it becomes a habit. I found if I have to do some kind of thing every day, when I don't I feel guilty, or deflated as the regular neurotransmitter hit becomes addictive. Motivations

If you can only do something for 15 minutes each day then that is it. I thoroughly recommend biking walking running to the local park or gym as part of the exercise. Silly driving to the gym.
    So true. A 15 minute run can be extremely effective if you get your skates on. Even 10 minutes. Hell I'm trying to get my 2km back under 6 minutes after a long break from running. Or a 15mins circuit. Or whatever. Something is better than nothing and it is SO much better for the most important 'muscle', the one between the ears.

The first thing I did was calculate my daily calorie intake requirements for my age, weight and activeness, you can search online for a calorie calculator. Then you calculate the food you need daily to meet those calories. It's always easier if you eat consistently because it will take trial and error before you can work out your maintenance intake, that is the amount of food you can eat without gaining or losing weight. This is where the discipline comes in, every empty calorie you eat is taking you further away from your goals.

wew looks nice
    are you single? I am thinking of sperm donor in the next few years.
    if you are white(euro blood prefer), shoot me a dm we can start from there
    sex

Junior Member(有D料到)
    Fat loss starts with eating properly, you can lose weight without exercising at all. You can't out train a bad diet, this is because the body is extremely efficient at using food for energy. This becomes more the case as your metabolism slows down with age

1. Don't eat empty calories like refined sugar, it adds to your total daily calorie count and doesn't provide any nutritional value. Think of it this way you eat that chocolate, it tastes amazing for a minute and 5 minutes later you will have forgotten what it tastes like but you will wear that chocolate around your waist forever.

2. Alcohol is the worst thing you can consume, not only is it all of point 1, but also humans are fat burning organisms, when you consume alcohol your body halts burning fat for energy and focuses on breaking down this poison. That's why you can feel lethargic when you are drunk. Nothing will wreck your fat loss goals faster than drinking alcohol.

3. Don't consume your calories in liquid form, it's too easy to consume lots of calories in liquid form. A smoothie like boost juice can be like 600 calories, that's an hour long run to burn that off. Liquids doesn't send signals to your brain that you are full like whole foods, also the body absorbs it faster. The only thing you should be drinking is water. For example eat whole fruits, don't drink fruit juice. A lot of people think they are being healthy drinking 100% fruit juice but most of the time that is all the sugar from the juice without the fiber, and 1 serving of orange juice could be like consuming multiple juiced oranges. Whereas eating a single whole orange with the fiber will fill you up and the body will expend energy to break down the fiber so it will balance out the calories from the sugar, while getting all the minerals and vitamins of the fruit.

4. Consume high volume food with low calories, rather that low volume foods with high calories. There is a reason they say eat a salad, you can eat so much salad till you pass out and it will still be less calories than a small greasy burger that doesn't fill you up. Losing weight is about eating less calories not eating less food. You can go crazy on high volume low calorie foods like vegetables. People who complain about losing weight being too hard because they are always hungry are simply making this mistake. They are eating too little of the wrong foods that is not satiating. Just as an example in my after photo I was about 13% body fat, at no point during that entire transition did I ever feel hungry. It's only when you drop below 10% body fat that this rule won't apply as your body will go into a dangerously low fat crisis mode and feel hungry regardless of what you eat.

5. Eat more protein, 1 calorie of fat, carbs and protein might all equal 1 calorie. However it takes longer for the body to metabolize protein therefore it expends energy to break down the protein to a usable form and therefore keeps you satiated longer. Fat is already usable that's why fat requires the least amount of effort to metabolize.

6. Avoid stimulants like caffeine it might give you an epic workout but you will pay for it with bad sleep putting you in a vicious dependency cycle. Good sleep is the best pre-workout and is also the optimal way to recover and balance your hormones. Basically sleep deserves its own chapter for weight loss, but this post is about nutrition.
    This is exactly what i was after, thanks bruv.

I know a lot of my gym friends eats chicken breast and boiled broccoli pretty much every meal. Im guessing these are high protein, low fat, low carb foods.

Now i could easily see myself eating chicken breast/salmon, i don't really get 'tired' of eating the same things. But is there a good alternative to broccoli? I was thinking pumpkin? I love boiled pumpkin.

That being said any other specific examples of such foods?

Junior Member(有D料到)
    One of the best things you can do is measure the portions of foods you eat regularly, so you know the calories for those regular meals and can put it in your eating plan then you can guess the calories for the rest of the food you eat when you out and about. It sounds like a lot of work but in reality you only do it once. Once you know the portions sizes then you don't need to calculate the calories again. For example for breakfast I eat oats (unflavoured not the sugar shit), now if you look at the nutritional information at the back of the bag, it says 1 serving size is 50 grams and it tells you the calories based on the serving size. Except I used to free pour my oats for years and one day I decided to measure a free pour and it turned out to be 2 servings. So I bought one of those measuring cup sets and now I scoop the oats into the 1/2 cup to get 50 grams before I drop it into the pot. I also bought a kitchen scale to measure things like nuts, these can get away from you if you just eating from the bag and those calories add up. 1 ounce of almonds is 28 grams and since 1 almond is 1 gram, I grab a handful of almonds throw it in a small bag chuck it on the scale. The bag is 2 grams, so 30 grams is 1 ounce of almonds. Takes 5 seconds to measure and now I don't binge on nuts because I've got my daily ration.

Another tip is natural flavouring, for example flavoured yoghurt. Those artificial flavours are all sugar so it really jacks up the calories. Lets say per 100 grams its 170 calories. Compared to unflavoured yoghurt which is say 100 calories. So you buy frozen fruits, chuck it in the unflavoured yoghurt and there is your flavouring (it tastes better actually). The calories will be the same in the end but the difference is you are consuming 100 grams of yoghurt and 100 grams of fruit. So now you have consumed 200 grams of food instead of 100 grams and you will feel twice as full for the same calories. You could argue that it is more expensive to buy the frozen fruit, but in reality you would need to buy 2 tubs of flavoured yoghurt to match the same quantity as 1 tub of yoghurt and 1 bag of frozen fruit. As a general rule I don't buy flavoured anything, just remember 4 grams of sugar is 1 teaspoon of sugar, there is a lot of sugar in these things.

Another thing is when looking at nutritional labels, like the yoghurt example. You should always look at the nutritional information based on 100 grams because then you can calculate and compare to other products when looking at a consistent weight. Even if you wouldn't eat a 100 grams of that food. This is because there is no standard of serving size between food companies, if a company make really unhealthy food they could just make the serving size smaller and say well this is the recommended amount to eat.

This is what I would typically eat in a day.

Wake up have a glass of water and banana, go for a 45 min walk. (I knock out 6000 steps first thing so the rest of the day I only need to do 4000 steps and that's my cardio done.)
    Breakfast: 50 grams of protein oats, light milk, frozen mixed berries, cinnamon (ceylon), level table spoon of peanut butter.
    Brunch: Two large boiled eggs
    Lunch: Maybe a chicken or turkey with salad/veg on wrap or with rice.
    Early afternoon: Casein Protein shake
    Mid afternoon: Apple or 1 ounce of almonds, sometimes both.
    Dinner: Some kind of meat and steamed mixed vegetables (all kinds), every day is a different meat so chicken breast, salmon, some white fish, kangaroo, beaf steak.
    After dinner: greek yoghurt and frozen mangos
    Before bed: casein protein shake

Just some points for breakfast, if you cook oats in a pot it expands so 1 serving is very filling. When I used to free pour oats I stuck it in the microwave and that's why it never felt like a lot of food because microwave doesn't cook long enough for it to expand. Then it expands in your stomach and by then its too late you have eating too much food. Peanut butter is really calorie dense, I don't advise eating peanut butter if you have a binging problem. I only add a little into my oats for flavouring also the fats in peanut butter offsets the lack of fat from the light milk, I wouldn't use it with full cream milk. I would never take a tub of peanut butter to the couch and start eating it on its own, that is one way to wreck yourself.

For lunch you can see I eat carbs but I don't go crazy on carbs, like I might not finish all the rice. However carbs is important for replenish your muscles glycogen stores, you should eat carbs it's not empty calories and it is filling. When it comes to losing weight feeling full is very important. Many people talk about low carbs and then they blow out their daily calorie intake with other stuff like sodas or smoothies or whatever. Usually if someone has a weight problem they are eating something they haven't accounted for, everything besides water has calories.

I drink casein protein because its slow digestion and keeps you full longer and I prefer the thickness and taste. I generally only drink whey protein if I had a long training session and haven't eaten in ages and I'm hungry then its better to eat something that absorbs faster. The post workout protein shake requirement is a myth, your body increases protein synthesis for 48 hours after workout, and your muscles doesn't just evaporate if you don't eat for a while. The only reason to chug down a protein shake straight after a workout is if you are starving. Otherwise I favour staying full for longer as its easier for weight loss. Actually just today I bought pea protein, lately I have been thinking there is too much dairy in my diet so I am going to experiment with that. But for now i got my weight loss results drinking casein protein but no reason whey protein wouldn't give the same results.

The best meat to eat would be chicken breast, white fish, turkey, you can't go wrong eating these as as they are the lowest calories. Salmon is good with healthy fats but its higher in calories you probably want to stick with once or twice a week. Steak is obviously lots of calories and lots of protein, if I eat a steak (ribeye once a week) I probably won't have an evening protein shake or yoghurt since I'll hit my protein numbers with the steak and I don't want to blow out the daily calories. Kangaroo meat is something I would eat once a week too and its leaner than beef steak but again I'll likely cut back on the other stuff because of the amount of protein/calories in kangaroo meat.

Regarding the above point about steak/kangaroo, whenever I eat heavy stuff I think of the daily intake as a whole and adapt the rest of my eating for the day. Also I don't care if I have dinner late at night, if I'm still on target with my daily calories. We are humans not gremlins, eat whatever time you like.

Since I suck at cooking, I just steam vegies every day for dinner. I buy the fresh mixed vegetables bags (not the frozen bags) from Coles and just chuck it in the steamer. Takes like 5 minutes while I'm prepping the meat. Really it doesn't matter what vegetables you eat they all pretty healthy, of course broccoli and spinach are low calories but I eat all the other veges too. Seriously no one gets fat by eating the "wrong" vegetables and fruit. 99 times out of 100 its portion size and added sugar that is wrecking you, along with alcohol.

That's all I can think of for now.
    Thanks for this man, this is some good stuff. It really tells me how important diet is.

I generally only eat once a day (dinner) and I do not snack at all. I would literally go the whole day without eating anything but dinner and most of the time it's some sort of junk/takeaway food. That's been my eating habit for years now. I definitely don't drink enough water too.

My first step is definitely to improve my diet/eating habits and there's a lot of good info you have provided. I've also got no idea how to start calorie counting but I guess I'll start to learn. Do you use an app for this?

I like your point about yogurt, I really like yogurt I could see myself incorporating this into my mornings. I might also steal your steam mixed vegetables thing, I'm also a terrible cook so this seems like a easy thing to do. I don't like most vegetables so I thought I would just eat something that I liked (pumpkin) since I hate broccoli, but I like the idea of mixed vegetables.

Do you normally just pan fry your meat? What about seasoning? I heard seasoning can be a trap also

Edit: prob should add that i don't drink alcohol or use any supplements. Think it's too early for me to take protein shakes but I'll probably do it in the future

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    Great advice here. Thanks for everyone’s consideration. My two cents worth are:

1. Use lime or lemon for dressing salads or boiled vegetables. This will add vitamin C to your diet, make the food tastier and low calorie than using store naught salad dressing.

2. Steamed verges are great as they only take 5-10 minutes in microwave. I really like steaming potatoes and even sweet potatoes. The sweet potatoes go very well with lots of lemon or lime. Sometimes you could throw these in oven and bake them. Specially the pumpkin and butter nut.

3. I find the chicken breast too tough and dry. If you want to change get the thigh. These are also quick to cook and easy to flavour.

4. For quick meals I have used frozen vegetables and fish that come in individual single serving packs. These are great when you are in a hurry or don’t feel like cooking as it takes couple of minutes to steam them in the pouch in the microwave.

5. Add some nuts to your cereal. I keep sunflower and pumpkin seeds in a jar next to cereal. Sometimes I also toast some almonds and either chop or grind them. Dry toasted almonds add a nice flavour to the cereal. I find these are not only healthy but help with the libido.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Hey gents, I’ve gone on a slightly different tack.
    I wanted to lose weight for my 50th and followed intermittent fasting technique.
    It suited my busy lifestyle and also the weight fell off me fairly easily. This was in the latest lockdown. I lost around 11-12kg and was the slimmest I’ve been in years.
    This involves skipping breakfast and fasting for around 16hrs, so only having lunch and dinner.
    Drink a lot of water and ensure the meals are nutritious. As it’s been said before, alcohol is very detrimental but I still had one night a week on the piss.
    Activity wise, I walked alot and am now swimming now that we are open.
    Look for the Dr Berg clips on YouTube if you are interested. The science behind intermittent fasting is amazing and makes alot of sense.

Disclaimer lol - I’ve put a couple of kilos back on purely because my discipline has waned. But I’m still alot better off than I was before, I’ll get serious again after Xmas. Good luck guys.

Banned
    If men over the age of 40 want to lose fat, then the best way to do this is to stop eating sugar, bread, chips or any other high carb shit. All of that causes an insulin spike, raises your blood sugar levels and makes your body burn carbs instead of burning the fat around your belly.

If you stop eating sugary shit or highly processed carbs, you will 100% lose weight. Your chance of getting type 2 diabetes will also reduce since your insulin sensitivity will be restored

Junior Member(有D料到)
    I guess i have been unintentionally intermittent fasting for years. Happened more out of laziness than anything.

Banned
    Do more exercise, eat healthy food including vegetables and fruits, take your vitamins and have lots of safe sex.

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    Prevention is better than cure.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast