Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which country do you think will find vaccine for Covid first?

Senior Member(無間使者)

Which country do you think will find vaccine for Covid first?

Today I saw on the news that Russia has completed human trial but they have not mentioned anything about vaccine name and also our own Queenslanders have started new human trial, who do you think will have vaccine in the market first. If it is Americans I know for the fact that they would make it into a Hollywood movie.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Carissawhore View Post
    Today I saw on the news that Russia has completed human trial but they have not mentioned anything about vaccine name and also our own Queenslanders have started new human trial, who do you think will have vaccine in the market first. If it is Americans I know for the fact that they would make it into a Hollywood movie.
    There was a movie made about a virus starting in HK and spreading around the world about 10 years ago. I guess they could make another movie but focus on how they came up with the vaccine if it is successful. However would any movie about the virus attract audiences to watch it? The whole purpose of making movies is to make money or to promote a certain cause or principle.

Junior Member(有D料到)
    Realistically america - got the most to gain and they are throwing money at the problem

Junior Member(有D料到)
    Sounds like Oxford University have made a break through, I'm cautiously optimistic...

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    Quote Originally Posted by altvmla View Post
    Sounds like Oxford University have made a break through, I'm cautiously optimistic...
    Oxford uni has admitted failure short after they claimed that they can have the vaccine in 10months. So Oxford is out.

I would bet on either China or Australia.

99 Premium Member (特級會員)
    Quote Originally Posted by TokyoLights View Post
    I would think its Australia

I hope it’s Australia so that we can be the first to use it hahaha.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Meng View Post
    I hope it’s Australia so that we can be the first to use it hahaha.
    Let's hope so but any country would want to be first to get their hands on the vaccine. There was mention of a recent attempt by Russia to hack into various places around the world that were involved in trying to get the vaccine for covid-19 virus.

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    We may think that many countries and medical organizations are competing on the vaccine development. I am not sure how true this is.

A vaccine is typically and only developed on disease is knwon exists for many years and sure will continue to exist after the long cycle of development (average 10 years).

If the virus disappears or mutates, all the investment goes to drainage. I heard a company spent 70m on SARS and didn't get a cent in return. Many will be quite conservative in putting investment in.

I somehow feel that China and Australia are doing this without consideration of returns that's why I bet on them. But I think repurposed drug might be a more realistic solution.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    tough task, looking at what happened with sars, no vaccine after all these years.

viruses will always be a step ahead and mutate.

lets hope im wrong...

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    SARS just disappeared by itself so all the development has stopped.

How it disappeared was a mystery. The only explanation is that SARS is a human created virus and does not exist in nature.

99 Premium Member (特級會員)
    Not to get all scientific on you guys technically SARS is the disease. the original sars which occurred was called SARS-COVID or sars COVID 1 both SARS back then and Covid 19 today are all from the coronavirus family. As a matter of fact COVID 19 can also sometimes be referred to SARS COVID 2.

The currently COVID-19 is the disease whilst the coronavirus is the virus causing it.

What was my point in all this, I can’t remember now lol.

Banned
    SARS 1 is still out there, but is much less infectious than Sars 2 and isn't much of a problem therefore. Research for a vaccine to SARS 1 got to an advanced stage of development here in Australia before the crisis abated and funding was dropped. If this research had gone all the way to a developed vaccine all the groundwiork would have been done and it would have been a relatively quick process to adapt the vaccine to SARS 2, and we wouldn't have the present pandemic.

Before this one we had three emerging virus warnings since the turn of the 21st century, and Govt's ignored them by not developing vaccines, to our vast cost.

Baby Member(留言版初哥)

Didn’t they say on the news that one vaccine has already been approved and is in production ? And England has ordered 100 million doses, and 20 million Australians will be vaccined for free soon ?

Made in Australia ?
    Directory of After Reports by wilisno
    http://www.aus99forum.com/showthread...ectory+reports
    Collections of frequently used Abbreviations
    http://www.aus99forum.com/showthread...-Abbreviations

Baby Member(留言版初哥)
    The vaccine with most media traction at the moment appears to be Oxford vaccine but that apparently leaves Australia out.

It is reported at agreeing to supply 400 million doses to Europe at no profit, whatever no profit means.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/comp...21-p55e19.html

Junior Member(有D料到)
    Could be the Oxford vaccine as they are the front runner. But wouldnt be surprised if US or China as they have the most candidates at advance stages.

Wish it could be oz so we get it first, but we only have 2 candidates and few stages behind china and US

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Oxford has completed Phase 1.
    Which is basically a low count test to show it doesn't kill people.
    They've also discovered it creates some antibidies.

Much is yet to be proven.
    Eg. Will the antibodies actually last more than 3-6 months, will it protect against all strains (and there are already multiple) of covid-19.

The lead candidate for Sars actually failed final stage testing as it increased the impact and mortality rate of some symptoms.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TokyoLights View Post
    I would think its Australia

Agreed.. Australian medical research is always ahead if the curve

99 Premium Member (特級會員) rooter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Labia Vortex View Post
    Agreed.. Australian medical research is always ahead if the curve
    Yep, and then another country will develop and produce it and make all the profits, as always happens with Australian research.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    By the time a vaccine is found, it'll have evolved into something else that needs a vaccine!!

That's just the cynic in me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast