Thread: Tip

Senior Member(無間使者)

Tip

Never understood why customers are expected to tip the waiter in the states, but today came across this interesting article:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...-sense/600865/

In punting, I'm firmly in the "don't tip" camp.

99 King Member (帝皇會員)
    Tipping in America is expected because of the low wages earned by waiters, etc.

If these people were paid better wages, the cost of the meal would go up to cover it, so the nett cost would probably be the same or more.

In punting, the "tip" is more like payment for extra services. If you don't tip, you don't get them?

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼)
    To me tip is how much I want to tip or not give. In the US is 10 to 20% on your Bill is more like a service charge. Like in Australia you can tip or not up to you. As for punting extra is a service charge. A tip is on top of the service charge. Like $240 punt at the end you give the girl $20-50 more.

99 Premium Member (特級會員) rooter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiegaigin View Post

If these people were paid better wages, the cost of the meal would go up to cover it, so the nett cost would probably be the same or more.

In punting, the "tip" is more like payment for extra services. If you don't tip, you don't get them?
    You have summed it up very nicely.
    Here's the tipping debate in Reservoir Dogs. Good for a laugh.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fbwwlHPtRM

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Climax598 View Post
    Like $240 punt at the end you give the girl $20-50 more.
    But after just spending $240 and you've already come so there is no more benefit coming your way wouldn't you psychologicaly be thinking ooh Jesus, I'm already feeling a bit light in the pocket and now it is more on top that?

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼)
    Quote Originally Posted by God Member View Post
    But after just spending $240 and you've already come so there is no more benefit coming your way wouldn't you psychologicaly be thinking ooh Jesus, I'm already feeling a bit light in the pocket and now it is more on top that?
    No this only an example. Not on a 240 punt.
    $150 punt maybe If she is in the $240 category.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Quote Originally Posted by Effindahead View Post
    in my unverified opinion, I don't think it's because the pay rate they get.
    When you go to restaurants/cafes, you pay the cost of the meal according to the listed price on menus/board or screen whatsoever. That is the cost of the item/goods.
    While waiters/waitresses, they bring you the food, drinks or interact with the customers considered as service. That is the tip you need to pay them for.
    Hence, tip is not for the food but the service. and it became accustomed planted as the way they are now.
    What you are tipping for is beside the point. The core issue is the base pay is low and it is kept low because tipping is expected in the US.

And I’m making up numbers here but someone serving at a fast food joint where tipping isn’t done might get $10 an hour but someone serving at a restaurant might only get $5 but both Will end up with $10 because tipping is expected in the restaurant.

It’s a messed up system that is for sure.

As for punting I never tip. And tipping for an extra isn’t a tip you are paying.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Here's a tip. Don't eat yellow snow

Baby Member(留言版初哥)
    Quote Originally Posted by brotherjim View Post
    What you are tipping for is beside the point. The core issue is the base pay is low and it is kept low because tipping is expected in the US.

And I’m making up numbers here but someone serving at a fast food joint where tipping isn’t done might get $10 an hour but someone serving at a restaurant might only get $5 but both Will end up with $10 because tipping is expected in the restaurant.

It’s a messed up system that is for sure.

As for punting I never tip. And tipping for an extra isn’t a tip you are paying.

Your numbers are close to the mark, a friend of mine went to New York 2 years ago and asked the waitress in an average restaurant her wage, she said $5 an hour. Another cheaper place said $3 an hour. That has to be illegal. They need tips to make a living over there.

99 King Member (帝皇會員)
    Quote Originally Posted by Effindahead View Post
    in my unverified opinion, I don't think it's because the pay rate they get.
    When you go to restaurants/cafes, you pay the cost of the meal according to the listed price on menus/board or screen whatsoever. That is the cost of the item/goods.
    While waiters/waitresses, they bring you the food, drinks or interact with the customers considered as service. That is the tip you need to pay them for.
    Hence, tip is not for the food but the service. and it became accustomed planted as the way they are now.
    The price of your meal at a restaurant has to recover all the costs involved in running the business: wages of ALL staff (cooks, cleaners, waiters, etc), rent, gas/electricity, insurance, plant and furniture purchase and maintenance, as well as the cost of the food. And provide an RoI for the owner(s). If any of the cost components (inc wage) go up, the price of a meal may need to go up proportionally.

Wait staff in America get paid about 1/2 what an Australian would earn in the same job, but with no penalty rates for OT, holidays, and no holiday/sick pay. Probably not even an "award" rate of pay as a minimum. They depend on tips over and above the wage to get a liveable income. Sure the tips are for "service", but seem to be compulsory regardless of the level of service.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    i only give one tip to the WLs

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bjl0v3s View Post
    i only give one tip to the WLs
    What tip is that? Your semen in her mouth? LOL

If guys start tipping WLs then it will do what happened in some strip clubs in Sydney. In the old days, girls would allow some touching during private shows but then some overseas (opportunists) girls arrived at the clubs and came up with the idea of asking for an extra $50 tip to touch their breasts and ass. Some guys fell for it and many girls were asking for tips during private shows. Therefore, let's stick with just the fee for the service and not be generous tipping WLs.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiegaigin View Post

the $50 extra? I have no prob paying it for the right girl.

what I meant by tip was what some punters pay over and above the standard charges, for whatever reason.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Quote Originally Posted by cuteguy View Post

If guys start tipping WLs then it will do what happened in some strip clubs in Sydney. In the old days, girls would allow some touching during private shows but then some overseas (opportunists) girls arrived at the clubs and came up with the idea of asking for an extra $50 tip to touch their breasts and ass. Some guys fell for it and many girls were asking for tips during private shows. Therefore, let's stick with just the fee for the service and not be generous tipping WLs.
    exactly my thoughts! don't tip and raise their expectations.

99 King Member (帝皇會員)
    Quote Originally Posted by annintofu View Post
    the $50 extra? I have no prob paying it for the right girl.

what I meant by tip was what some punters pay over and above the standard charges, for whatever reason.
    That is an accepted practice here. But if too many many punters do it, the girl will "upvalue" herself and start charging more all the time. I've already had a ML tell me that "her" price for a NHJ was $60 after I gave her the shop standard $50.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Quote Originally Posted by cuteguy View Post
    tip of my cock, what else do you reckon mate? a tip of how to be better at life and finances?

Very good topic, in the US tipping is almost “obligatory” in terms of your status. If you don’t tip, people will think badly of you, that you’re a selfish or thoughtless. The easiest thing to remember is to tip 10-15% of the total cost. In Europe it’s not like that, it’s more free, you give whatever you want and if you don’t it’s no big deal.
    **Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose**

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Quote Originally Posted by sporty32 View Post
    Very good topic, in the US tipping is almost “obligatory” in terms of your status. If you don’t tip, people will think badly of you, that you’re a selfish or thoughtless. The easiest thing to remember is to tip 10-15% of the total cost. In Europe it’s not like that, it’s more free, you give whatever you want and if you don’t it’s no big deal.
    As has been mentioned a few times in the US tipping is fully expected in restaurants, hotels etc because their base pay is lower even to the extent that it is often called a service fee rather than tip or gratuity.

That isn’t the case here and Europe etc where tipping for the worker is over and above their pay.