Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mandatory digital registration as of the 23rd of November

Senior Member(無間使者)
    This seems like a weird timing. It would have made sense months ago when shops just reopened and we still had many cases, but now? Seems really weird.

99 Premium Member (特級會員) rooter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thanatos View Post
    This seems like a weird timing. It would have made sense months ago when shops just reopened and we still had many cases, but now? Seems really weird.
    Exactly!
    NSW, and actually all of Australia, now that Victoria is safe again, is a covid free zone.
    Covid is not out there. There is nothing to fear.
    The only way it can come back in is from overseas, so as long as the international borders are closed to tourists, visas, migrants etc and we have strict hotel quarantine regimes we have nothing to fear.
    The only way it can come back is if we fuck up with the hotel quarantine like Victoria did.
    Otherwise we are totally safe.
    Basically we just have to control entry into the country until the vaccine and we are 100% safe.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    I use a real first name or Donald Duck with a real phone number in case there is an outbreak. I have started to use a land-line phone number in case someone wants to use the paper list for marketing SMS's etc. I get annoyed when a QR code site asks for more information than is necessary.

There are many QR services that seem to be just modified marketing tools but some are genuine. The service NSW QR service looks impressive but connects your visit with your driving identity.

There's a chap in Melbourne who feels like Spoonful does about surveillance. So he made his own QR service. It is open-source so "IT professionals" can check that it is not doing anything it should not be doing and it is free until the shop gets above 5000 customers in a month. If any shops you visit are worried about compulsory electronic registration you could point them to https://www.covidvault.com.au/ . I guess that there must be other minimal data collection QR services. If you know of one you could be a good citizen and help your favorite "remedial massage" shop get legal.

What I don't like is the Google system where the business gets a spreadsheet of visitors updated in real time. I entered D. Duck at a pub last week. When I came out of the gents the woman told me they needed my full first name. Lucky I remembered I was traveling as Donald that day.

99 King Member (帝皇會員)
    I've been wondering why venues can't just pair up with the CovidSafe on my phone, and keep track of me while I'm there?

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiegaigin View Post
    I've been wondering why venues can't just pair up with the CovidSafe on my phone, and keep track of me while I'm there?
    That would be ideal, but not everyone has the app. Also polite girls keep their phones in their locker in the staff room so as not to interrupt the massage. I'd be happy to make an exception during these Covid times if they put their phone on silent and it saved the issue of signing in at the front counter.

Enter false details at your own risk.

If Covid is detected there and they really want to find you, smile your on camera.

The last thing you need is a bulletin out with your picture on it.

Sent from my GM1910 using Tapatalk

99 King Member (帝皇會員)
    I was thinking more of a "tap-on" (and maybe "tap-off") system on a single venue owned phone/terminal at reception (like an Opal card), rather than relying on pairing up with a girl's phone.
    Just make the match-up instantaneous, rather than waiting 15 minutes for a recording

Senior Member(無間使者)
    nothing to comment really

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbyj99 View Post
    if people keep on giving out fake details and there are other outbreaks where people can't be traced because of that expect stricter controls
    I use a silly name but a real phone number. If someone calls my phone asking for Mr. Duck I know that it is either the Health Dept and I shall listen to their advice carefully, or a shopkeeper who is not following the rules, in which case Mr. Duck would be quite rude. Quack Quack.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Quote Originally Posted by spoonful View Post
    and people are seriously ok with this???

To start off with, any information you supply is between you and the the "app". To request any further info or to ask you to prove who you are is a beach of civil rights and your privacy. Business's that can legally request ID when dealing with them are those authorised by legislation e.g. Liquor Act, Financial Act etc. If they legislate this bit of nonsense it'll be the final surrender of whatever civil rights you have left.

Be aware that IF this happens it won't be illegal to not provide the info. The business can simply refuse entry but then they risk loss of revenue when they need it most. Put it back on them for signing up to this.
    You mention the Liquor Act. I said the place using Google was a pub. So not necessarily illegal but I shall avoid that place on principle in future.

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    No one can detect Covid "there". It will only become apparent if some one tests positive in the next 3 to 7 days. Pinning it down to that particular venue only is impossible, more likely many venues will be candidates and by that time there may have been hundreds of people who need to be contacted. Trying to identify "Donald Duck" by a still picture would be a colossal waste of time.

I don't think this actually happens does it?

Registering a date/time stamp upon entry without closing the loop by doing the same on exit renders the whole process worthless. It's not for days (maybe less now) before a location and time can be established with any accuracy. A large number of people may be contacted, ask to get a test, self isolate, cause unknown trauma to family, friends and co-workers when they were nowhere near the positive case in the first place. Tracking the exit time along with entry time is mission critical but as far as I know it isn't done.

I'll say it again, this nonsense is window dressing trying to puff up the government's public image. They tried with the CovidSafe app but that particular farce isn't mentioned any more. None of these things have worked anywhere.
    If you don't like the conditions of entry then don't enter. It's a free world. Simple really.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Which is why this ridiculous idea has zero validity. Data that has no validity is just noise. Just another bunch of so called "IT Professionals" trying to flog a "Public Health" measure to gullible politicians who then try to foist it on the public to make it look like they are doing something "advanced" and "high tech". The idea behind this is to aid in contact tracing, good luck with that!

I wish I'd thought of the Covid Safe app. I'd be a million bucks (or 5) richer with very little responsibility for ongoing support and maintenance (except to keep billing the government for it), which is what will happen with this bit of fluff.
    Data with no immediate validity or context is actually termed fact. Its the representation of a transaction in its simplest form. Add some dimensions to that, throw in some aggregations and what you have is the basis of an analytical model. Data mining or its latest iteration, machine learning, is the process of feeding / training a system to find patterns and anamolies amongst huge volumes of data and react to certain events. With more human intervention in looking for insights, born is the era of data-driven decisions. Ever wondered why items commonly bought together in a supermarket are relatively close together? That's determined by purchasing patterns, based off millions of receipts, not hunches. I've been in this field for 20+ years, the real life applications of this are extremely far reaching.

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    By the way, if you fill out your QR details that are not factual you risk a fine and a bigger picture in the media if you are caught out.

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    Care to share the legislation or regulation that confirms this?
    Authorised officers are currently visiting businesses to assess their compliance with COVID Orders. If a breach of the COVID-19 Orders is found, a Penalty Infringement Notice may be issued for non-compliance. This on-the-spot fine is $1,000 for individuals or $5,000 for a business. There are much larger penalties for repeat offences.

Obligations for businesses collecting customer details
    If required to collect details, the business or organisation must:

record the name and contact details (date, a phone number, entry time) for every person including staff, patrons and contractors entering the premises
    collect personal details in a way that protects them from disclosure to other customers
    maintain these records for a minimum period of 28 days
    ensure details are accurate - allocate a staff member to oversee that patrons are providing the required information
    deny entry to patrons who will not provide valid contact information
    ensure the information recorded is stored confidentially and securely and only used for the purpose of COVID-19 contact tracing
    digitise records collected on paper within 24 hours e.g. take a readable digital photo
    provide appropriate cleaning and/or access to sanitiser between customer use for shared items such as pens
    provide the information to an Authorised Officer immediately or as soon as practicable if requested.
    Premises have an obligation to ensure they have provisions in place to ensure all patrons provide their details. Leaving an unsupervised log at one of many entry points is likely to fail, and is not a reasonable excuse for not collecting contact details.

Records are not required for customers or visitors collecting takeaway items or dropping off goods.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rooter View Post
    Exactly!
    NSW, and actually all of Australia, now that Victoria is safe again, is a covid free zone.
    Covid is not out there. There is nothing to fear.
    The only way it can come back in is from overseas, so as long as the international borders are closed to tourists, visas, migrants etc and we have strict hotel quarantine regimes we have nothing to fear.
    The only way it can come back is if we fuck up with the hotel quarantine like Victoria did.
    Otherwise we are totally safe.
    Basically we just have to control entry into the country until the vaccine and we are 100% safe.
    You jumped the gun early. It ain't all over yet as discovered in South Australia with a new outbreak of the virus.

For those who are worried about giving out their details or where they go, just remember big brother Google knows everything about you.

This is part of my post #35.

In SA one case gets to 17 and now to 34.

Adelaide is now in meltdown mode. 6 day lock down. 4000 people in quarantine.

Given the extent of Covid in the rest of the world our borders probably won't be open for general international travel for 3 to 5 years.
    Mate, stay positive and be hopeful, and wait for that magical vaccine !!

My bet , if it’s available through Sportsbet is that China will be the major supplier and at least saving Asia if not the world.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Would love to know if anyone has been to a RnT/FS place today that wasn't previously taking details but now is!

99 King Member (帝皇會員)
    The shop I went to this morning certainly didn't bother.

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    I am sure the flying squads will be doing the rounds as easy money for the Government to pick up with the fines involved.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    I got stopped at my local Woolworths this morning. This is gonna need a lot of education or it is doomed to follow the Covid Safe app. And the local RnT has no clue about it. I hope the rangers start with multiple warnings, not just fines.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast