Quote Originally Posted by andrewv View Post
They go to the police and say their husband was violent— they got assaulted— and this triggers the opportunity for them not to remain with the husband and get PR anyway.
They made an amendment last year:

What should I do if the relationship has ended and there has been family violence?
First, you will need to advise the Department that your relationship has ended and that you have experienced family violence. In many cases where an applicant makes a claim of family violence, the Department might still require you to provide further evidence that your relationship was genuine and continuing before the breakdown. Once the Department is satisfied that your relationship was genuine, they will assess your claim of family violence. There is no requirement for you to show that your relationship ended because of the family violence.

Source: https://iarc.org.au/resources/partne...-relationship/
I guess the ABC 4Corners exposé triggered an amendment to the Immigration act.

There's also the risk of the "husband" spilling the beans and telling the court that the relationship wasn't genuine, and that money was involved as revenge for being slapped with an AVO. That would definitely expedite deportation.

The court these days have been aware of fake domestic violence cases. In exception to Mt Druitt and adjacent areas, local cops are very unlikely to show bias against the male partner whenever the female partner calls 000 and presents "evidence" of a face being bruised herself. There was news of a Moroccan lady living the high life under her Arab Australian (not sure which nationality but not Lebanese) husband and became greedy, she bruised her own head and went to the cops pretending she was freshly beaten. CCTV of the apartment shows that the husband was nowhere near the apartment and she went up and down the complex all alone before heading to the police station. She was trying to file for divorce in order to take all of his hard earn money for herself.

Honestly I haven't heard of many sham marriages for citizenship nowadays compared to a decade ago. Maybe the new measures are proving effective?