Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Language barrier

Senior Member(無間使者)

Question Language barrier

How do you deal with language barriers between yourself and the ML/WL?
    Have you ever had sessions where it was almost complete silence?

I want to learn how to deal with this problem to get the most enjoyment of my sessions.

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    Learn a little bit of Mandarin, that should solve your problems.

As a 100% Strayan I've even gone to the trouble to learn a little bit of Mandarin. The Chinese ladies fucking love it.

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    learn hand signals,

99 King Member (帝皇會員) GoldfishMan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ColesBag View Post

As a 100% Strayan I've even gone to the trouble to learn a little bit of Mandarin. The Chinese ladies fucking love it.
    And you know why that is true? It's because out of all the foreign nationals in Oz, the Chinese are the worst at picking up the English language.

Not saying all of them are like that, but the chances of running into a person from the PRC living here who cannot speak English is a lot higher than any of the other nationalities. I think it's because they such a big diaspora here that they can actually get by in life without needing to learn English.

Junior Member(有D料到)
    Nothing wrong with using google translate during the session.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldfishMan View Post
    And you know why that is true? It's because out of all the foreign nationals in Oz, the Chinese are the worst at picking up the English language.

Not saying all of them are like that, but the chances of running into a person from the PRC living here who cannot speak English is a lot higher than any of the other nationalities. I think it's because they such a big diaspora here that they can actually get by in life without needing to learn English.
    That or they're of the belief - the rest of the world can learn Mandarin =)

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼)
    Well done for learning Mandarin
    For an English speaker it must be a challenge with all the short Mando words that all join up, many of the short words sounding very different to English words. How do you even begin to study it as an adult?

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldfishMan View Post

The truth is that English was designed to be difficult. The varying pronunciations of the same letters in different words, is constructed to show in conversation, who is and who isn't a native speaker

As proof, note the many many hard to pronounce English county/town names

Within a few minutes locals can tell if you are an outsider

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Is there anything wrong with staying silent during a session? I feel weird for doing that.

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    Quote Originally Posted by refokkused View Post
    That or they're of the belief - the rest of the world can learn Mandarin =)
    Doubt it. Much more of an English speaker thing to expect everyone else to learn English.

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    Quote Originally Posted by frisson View Post
    The truth is that English was designed to be difficult. The varying pronunciations of the same letters in different words, is constructed to show in conversation, who is and who isn't a native speaker

As proof, note the many many hard to pronounce English county/town names

Within a few minutes locals can tell if you are an outsider
    Lol this is a weird conspiracy theory. Languages evolve more than they're actually "designed".

Senior Member(無間使者)
    The translator in WeChat is how I do it or Google translate

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼)
    Quote Originally Posted by ColesBag View Post

These are usually my punts when there is almost no English spoken.

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼)
    Quote Originally Posted by ReginaldBubbles View Post
    Doubt it. Much more of an English speaker thing to expect everyone else to learn English.
    Yep. Actually more of a banana and Anglo belief that everyone should learn English and that most Chinese dun bother to learn the language here whereas almost all overseas Chinese I know of in Australia do speak the English language of varying fluency.

However plenty of westernerd in china never bothered to learn the local language even after living there got years and this despite them getting Chinese girlfriend or wives. I give Europeans a pass they usually already know afew languages but most Anglos are notorious for knowing just one language.

Banned
    Use the body language if everything fails.

Out of boredom and greed I once set about learning German, Japanese and French. Among them I spent a good 5 years in Japanese. But practising it with a Japanese WL is an expensive way of learning the language.

The other day I confused nameru with sawaru. The Japanese WL in 200 Stanmore pointed it out to me one was suck and the other was touch.

To save further embarrassment I limited myself with kissing her although she said she didn't do kissing at the beginning. She eventually stuck her tongue into my mouth. Best kissing I've ever had in a parlour.

Banned
    Tread carefully Wazzabot, I feel you are being baited with some first class BS..............

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    It'd be less of a language barrier if they actually tried to speak English and people maybe stop fully accommodating them?

It's like all those Asian groups I sometimes get in Uni... Bad English and only hangs around fellow Chinese speaking Chinese. That doesn't help you when studying accounting standards guys!!

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼)
    Why stop at mando? might as well start learning hindi, punjabi, urdu, bengali, and tamil - India has officially overtaken China as the world's most populous country. Harris Park will be renamed to Little India or Indiatown, and before you know punters will start getting brown fever and bollywoodian's....perhaps one day AHL will go for indianish over the usual spanish.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Magictits8 View Post
    Nothing wrong with using google translate during the session.
    Too much wasting time. No English then no session and money for them. They should have some basic English skills.

It makes you wonder what student visa girls enrolled in English courses are actually studying.😆 In fact, studying guys and their penises!🤣

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    Quote Originally Posted by cuteguy View Post
    Too much wasting time. No English then no session and money for them. They should have some basic English skills.

It makes you wonder what student visa girls enrolled in English courses are actually studying.�� In fact, studying guys and their penises!��
    This, Japanese and Koreans have way better grasp of English than Chinese. One of the reasons I'm hesitant to see Chinese WLs

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast