Thread: career change

Super Fans (忠實Fans)

career change

who did it? was it for the better or worse?

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Quote Originally Posted by JJBlows View Post
    who did it? was it for the better or worse?

These things can be tough, much better to do it earlier in life than later

Banned
    You make your own destiny JJBlows.
    You have to want to leave.
    No one can make you.

My life is full of on the spot decisions and I regret nothing. You get another job and you don’t like, change it, you buy a car you don’t like, sell it, you find a woman and you’re not happy with, dump her and get another.

You are the Number 1 person in your life.

Always make yourself happy first.

was it for the better or worse?

Yes it was better, I don’t worry about anything except silly women now.

Baby Member(留言版初哥)
    I've directly worked with 3+ people who have changed careers into the professional services industry I'm currently in. They were all mid to late 30's (of varying levels of seniority in their previous career) and they're doing great now and working their way back up. You do take a step back for a bit but you will get back to what you were earning etc. (or more) if you're planning correctly.

If you're really unhappy in your current job and there's not much that'll improve that (more money, different culture etc.) seriously consider re-training, going back to Uni or making a move.

Not sure of your circumstances but I think it'd be rare that it's actually too late to make a move.

Life is too short for not enjoying your job. If you hate going to work, change. If you like going to work, don't change. If you have the option, consider yourself fortunate. Many people don't.

Junior Member(有D料到)
    What if say you just hate having a job?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Endo123 View Post
    Well then you’ve blown your punting career.

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    Quote Originally Posted by polymather View Post
    I've directly worked with 3+ people who have changed careers into the professional services industry I'm currently in. They were all mid to late 30's (of varying levels of seniority in their previous career) and they're doing great now and working their way back up. You do take a step back for a bit but you will get back to what you were earning etc. (or more) if you're planning correctly.

If you're really unhappy in your current job and there's not much that'll improve that (more money, different culture etc.) seriously consider re-training, going back to Uni or making a move.

Not sure of your circumstances but I think it'd be rare that it's actually too late to make a move.
    just want to downsize on the labouring but still want to remain technical,work with my hands and fix things. i have no interest in management, as i dont like the corporate suck it involves.

not in my 20's anymore and sick of going home exhausted or waking up sore, last thing i want to do is blow out my back and be in pain for life.

the only thing that has me second guessing changing is my pay and will i get current work perks back like company car used as personal and doing a job then going home rather than wait around before im allowed to leave

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Yes, went from office job 9 to 5 but its never been till 5, always till 8 or 10pm sometimes getting paid peanuts 10 years ago to working at a warehouse driving forklift earning decent coin at night shift for a very generous and nice employer who always approve what I ask for and with very friendly employees who help each other. Night shift can be brutal and messes up your schedule real bad but my mental health has definitely improved since I left my old shitty office job.

Quote Originally Posted by Endo123 View Post
    Then find a new occupation. A job you enjoy gives you purpose.

just want to downsize on the labouring but still want to remain technical,work with my hands and fix things. i have no interest in management, as i dont like the corporate suck it involves.

not in my 20's anymore and sick of going home exhausted or waking up sore, last thing i want to do is blow out my back and be in pain for life.

the only thing that has me second guessing changing is my pay and will i get current work perks back like company car used as personal and doing a job then going home rather than wait around before im allowed to leave
    Is there any way you can talk to management about providing you some physical help? Along the lines of OJT of an apprentice. Might there be a chance that the company wouldn't want to lose your job skills and expertise because of your concerns? Or shift to more of a supervisory role (NOT management), but instructing while some others do the heavy lifting (literally). Your long term health is definitely not something to screw with. I once had to tell management they needed to get more people because I was so tired I was creating more problems than I was fixing. You're tired and you make mistakes.

Assuming the customers like you, that should also count for something with management.

Junior Member(有D料到)
    From shelf stacking to pencil pushing

Problems with working in offices is that people like to play politics. I'd opt for a job that allows me to WFH 3-4 times a week just to avoid all that BS. WFH is much more productive if you haven't got kids to distract you from work. Office politics is basically a way to bludge and lay blame to the opposition to look productive when you're actually not.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    This pretty much sums up why I left office job
    https://youtu.be/kaucq9TRevk

Junior Member(有D料到)
    Wish I would have known this 20 years ago

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bjl0v3s View Post
    This pretty much sums up why I left office job
    https://youtu.be/kaucq9TRevk
    The larger the company the more bullshit. That’s what happens when companies get too big. I see it all the time. They have all this money and they generate corporate roles for non productive workers.

The mere fact they’re sitting at a table wasting time whilst following instruction from someone with a bullshit title is only the beginnning.

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼)
    All corporates (especially large ones) suffer the Peter principle. And incompetence runs wild in the public sector.

Junior Member(有D料到)
    Quote Originally Posted by Double_Adapter View Post
    All corporates (especially large ones) suffer the Peter principle. And incompetence runs wild in the public sector.
    The problem is that we have a culture of allowing childish behaviours amongst people with authority and influence. Imagine politicians getting jailed & banned from running office for breaking promises regardless of their excuses.

Junior Member(有D料到)
    Got an offer I couldn't refuse, so jumped on the boat and never looked back!

Banned
    Be your own boss. Control your own destiny.

Junior Member(有D料到)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky69 View Post
    Be your own boss. Control your own destiny.
    Easy said when you're living with your dead grandmother in the basement