hey OP, may you share which online contacts you are referring to? I read VietnamCupid is a great way to get dates, but the girls wants to get into a committed long-term relationship. They are generally local office, girl next door type wanting to marry foreigners. I found the efforts and lengths is too painful such as numerous dates, buying gifts, opening their heart, then the break up - not worth the trouble. I think it is best to be honest and truthful with your intentions rather than leading them on.

I found using WhatsApp works well, but they tend to be a hit and miss or commonly known as bait and switch. I experienced this myself where I thought I was chatting to the girl. Everything was agreed, then the girl arrives with no ability to communicate in English. Even though the pimp sends out a hot girl, the service tends to be terrible and very limited. Tip here is to use WhatsApp discovery with caution while you are there. In fact try this, write a short profile with some like "new in town, looking for love", leave it in discovery mode and in the morning you will have a ton of messages from pimps looking for their next prey.

Another ok place are bars and clubs for one nighters as the girls there tends to see you as an ATM and will do anything to get you to pay. I guess it all comes down to your intentions and what you want.

I will be keen to hear your experiences and your tips on the punting scene after COVID.