Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lunar Year protocol

Junior Member(有D料到)

Lunar Year protocol

A question for the Chinese brothers.

An acquaintance, a Chinese lady did me a favour a while ago and I want to show my appreciation.
    Would a red envelope with some cash for Chinese New Year be an appropriate way to go, culturally?

This is not punting related, the lady is a normal citizen, married and I have no interest other than
    to thank her.

Quote Originally Posted by vinegarstroke View Post

An acquaintance, a Chinese lady did me a favour a while ago and I want to show my appreciation.
    Would a red envelope with some cash for Chinese New Year be an appropriate way to go, culturally?

This is not punting related, the lady is a normal citizen, married and I have no interest other than
    to thank her.
    Normally a red envelope is given by a senior or a superior, if not, better give her a present.
    Directory of After Reports by wilisno
    http://www.aus99forum.com/showthread...ectory+reports
    Collections of frequently used Abbreviations
    http://www.aus99forum.com/showthread...-Abbreviations

Quote Originally Posted by vinegarstroke View Post

to thank her.
    I think it is perfectly appropriate to do the red envelope thing for Chinese New Year and as a specific thank you and you can in fact let the lady know that this is a thank you gift and since you are not sure what to get her you take the advantage of Chinese New Year and give her the red envelope .

Alternatively, you can still use the red envelope as a thank you card but instead of money put a David Jones or Myers Gift Card inside (with the amount you wish to thank her with ). Then it's best for both worlds .

Banned
    Usually red envelopes are given by seniors to juniors. If you wish to thank her, better buy some presents. If you give her an inappropriate present such as a clock or something, ok sure she will forgive you, as long as your intention is good.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    I was in a Newsagents shop today, I asked the Lady if they had any Red Envelopes.
    She asked if it was for Chinese New Year, when I said yes, she handed me a bunch of them free.
    They were special for this occasion.

I saw one of my regular Ladies today.
    I gave her a red envelope with some cash and a phone top up voucher.
    She loved the gesture and was surprised that I had thought about the Chinese New Year.
    She showed her appreciation in the hours that followed.

I have another Red Envelope with cash in it for another regular who I am seeing tomorrow.

Regarding Age, I am very Senior compared to these Ladies. !!!

Quote Originally Posted by A44 View Post
    I was in a Newsagents shop today, I asked the Lady if they had any Red Envelopes.
    She asked if it was for Chinese New Year, when I said yes, she handed me a bunch of them free.
    They were special for this occasion.

I saw one of my regular Ladies today.
    I gave her a red envelope with some cash and a phone top up voucher.
    She loved the gesture and was surprised that I had thought about the Chinese New Year.
    She showed her appreciation in the hours that followed.

I have another Red Envelope with cash in it for another regular who I am seeing tomorrow.

Regarding Age, I am very Senior compared to these Ladies. !!!
    Well ! In punting, you're the one who pays, so you're the boss already, a red envelope is a very adequate gesture. Once we had a New Year dinner with the 5* crew, I gave every girl a red envelope !

Banned
    Last CNY that colourful feathered dude that hangs out at the market city end of Dixon st let me pose him for a photo. I gave him a hung bow in appreciation, but I've realised I fucked up. He's definitely senior to me! In fact I fucked up twice. I'd put $5 in the envelope and I later learnt that it is bad luck to give odd numbers amounts of money! Even under his white make up I saw him blanche when he opened it up. I'm a cultural bull in a china shop!

I'll have to get more in touch with the Chinese way. eg. I might see how much landfill I can dump over Fort Denison before I can claim the island as my own. My own island in Sydney Harbour!

Banned
    New Luna, goddess of the moon

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wilisno View Post
    Well ! In punting, you're the one who pays, so you're the boss already, a red envelope is a very adequate gesture. Once we had a New Year dinner with the 5* crew, I gave every girl a red envelope !
    Wilisno, do you still go 5 star?

If so, who is your favourite girl at 5 Star from 2014 - January 2017???

I am curious

Quote Originally Posted by Lenka_X5 View Post
    Wilisno, do you still go 5 star?

If so, who is your favourite girl at 5 Star from 2014 - January 2017???

I am curious
    I haven't seen too many 5* girls in the last 2 years, not qualified to comment on this !

Senior Member(無間使者)
    恭喜发财...红包拿来..

Junior Member(有D料到)
    No one will refuse red packets with money

Junior Member(有D料到)
    If it is a friend, just give a gift like what you would do for Christmas. Red packet is for kids, young adult that is not married and your staff at work.

99 Premium Member (特級會員) rooter's Avatar
    I am just a dumb Gweilo, Laowai, Farang, Gringo, Gaijin, Tay, Bule, Haole, Whitefella, Waegukin, Pakeha ... etc...
    I have no fucking clue about other cultures .. I just try to treat people with respect.
    I think people understand if you are OK or not ... and if you fuck up and get it totally wrong they will forgive you.
    I just follow the advice my granny gave me; treat all people with courtesy and respect

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Quote Originally Posted by rooter View Post
    I am just a dumb Gweilo, Laowai, Farang, Gringo, Gaijin, Tay, Bule, Haole, Whitefella, Waegukin, Pakeha ... etc...
    I have no fucking clue about other cultures .. I just try to treat people with respect.
    I think people understand if you are OK or not ... and if you fuck up and get it totally wrong they will forgive you.
    I just follow the advice my granny gave me; treat all people with courtesy and respect
    Words to live by. Rooter, you da man. I like your mindset.

Junior Member(有D料到)
    i think its fine, dont worry about the senior thing , its a nice gesture they will appreciate.

Junior Member(有D料到)
    Are red envelopes appropriate for birthdays?

Quote Originally Posted by The Immortal View Post
    Are red envelopes appropriate for birthdays?
    Yes, a red envelope is appropriate for any celebration.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wilisno View Post
    I haven't seen too many 5* girls in the last 2 years, not qualified to comment on this !
    Should check it out Wilisno. Really good new talent now....

Junior Member(有D料到)
    Thanks for the replies guys, you have been very helpful. I guess the red envelope for CNY thought was part laziness, part thinking it was a good idea
    anyway even though I am sure the envelope would be well received, I decided to give a gift as it is a safe play.

I am curious about the clock though.

Happy New Year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast