Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lurkers

Junior Member(有D料到)
    Definitions
    1. Newspaper
    Traditionally a paper publication where journalists are employed to report news to the readership

2. Forum
    A meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

Baby Member(留言版初哥)
    First time poster, been a lurker maybe 2-3 years. I'm a quiet and shy guy irl and I think that carries over to how I behave online. I expect that many people are able to differentiate or compartmentalise between how they are in real life and how they behave or what they say online. For me there is a fear of seeming stupid or saying something that will make others laugh at me, and the fact that you're anonymous doesn't feel like a strong enough motivator. And I know it isn't a realistic attitude but I guess I'd look at it as a mild phobia (and hopefully not a debilitating one) - if any of that makes sense.

For the other part of what being a lurker gets from the forum if they're not going to make any posts, I think on this forum especially, there is a candidness to people and the views expressed and thoughts shared that are interesting. Some of it is curiosity about things I've never considered, other times there is a question that I've had but wasn't brave enough to ask but someone else did so I'll follow a thread. Then there's all the personalities that come through in the forums and you feel an interest when they say something new even though you don't particularly feel you have anything worthwhile to contribute to the conversation.

99 King Member (帝皇會員)
    Quote Originally Posted by androc View Post
    Definitions
    1. Newspaper
    Traditionally a paper publication where journalists are employed to report news to the readership
    Tradition is out the door. The modern newspaper seems to be just an outlet for extremist left or right wing extremist to infect us with their opinions. News is only "news" if it can be sensationalised or scandalised, again the suit the editorial political leanings.

I do a lot of historical research using old newspapers (Trove) and it is amazing what you can learn about life in, say, Sydney 100 years ago. You won't be able to do that about today in 50 years time.

Junior Member(有D料到)
    Yes its easy to get infected by sensationalist news. In 50 years they will be able to say which social media nobody wore which dress or jewellery

Baby Member(留言版初哥)
    Quote Originally Posted by geekstyle View Post
    First time poster, been a lurker maybe 2-3 years. I'm a quiet and shy guy irl and I think that carries over to how I behave online. I expect that many people are able to differentiate or compartmentalise between how they are in real life and how they behave or what they say online. For me there is a fear of seeming stupid or saying something that will make others laugh at me, and the fact that you're anonymous doesn't feel like a strong enough motivator. And I know it isn't a realistic attitude but I guess I'd look at it as a mild phobia (and hopefully not a debilitating one) - if any of that makes sense.

For the other part of what being a lurker gets from the forum if they're not going to make any posts, I think on this forum especially, there is a candidness to people and the views expressed and thoughts shared that are interesting. Some of it is curiosity about things I've never considered, other times there is a question that I've had but wasn't brave enough to ask but someone else did so I'll follow a thread. Then there's all the personalities that come through in the forums and you feel an interest when they say something new even though you don't particularly feel you have anything worthwhile to contribute to the conversation.
    Hey geekstyle very well said, i myself am just like you. I feel as though if i say something it may actually just backfire and i'd humiliate myself

Quote Originally Posted by Nate123 View Post
    Hey geekstyle very well said, i myself am just like you. I feel as though if i say something it may actually just backfire and i'd humiliate myself
    No need to worry about others, say what you want to say as long as you don't criticize others view, no one will attack you !
    Directory of After Reports by wilisno
    http://www.aus99forum.com/showthread...ectory+reports
    Collections of frequently used Abbreviations
    http://www.aus99forum.com/showthread...-Abbreviations

I want to hear this story now

Banned
    Don't we all start as lurkers some time ago. You will be surprised by how many people may follow if you post. I still get flattered when people say that is the best punt I ever had, or I tried those two girls you reviewed, etc etc.

Or you have similar taste in girls as me, etc etc.

It is a good read when big forum members or newbies write ARs.

I am also not surprised that some of the biggest punters on this forum are lurkers.

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    Quote Originally Posted by geekstyle View Post

Geekstyle thanks so much for posting this!

One of the reasons I posted the thread was to encourage more lurkers to come forward and participate. Everyone's view counts! I also admire that you have the courage to step out of your comfort zone and post! Actually, public speaking is the number 1 fear for most people, so I can understand this now - you're not unusual.

From your post you seem pretty intelligent and articulate , but don't worry about saying something stupid- often were saying stupid stuff half the time!

I personally have had to deal with a few df$$&eads on this site which wasn't pleasant but on the whole, it's been great fun and I've really enjoyed myself! I'm so glad I participated!

Welcome to the forum, and im with you friend for support!

PS - it must be pretty fun to observe the forum from afar and all the drama that goes on here!

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate123 View Post
    Welcome to the forum Nate

There are no stupid questions here, as this is a topic that a lot of people don't really understand (which is why we have this forum) - after all, we weren't exactly taught about it at school!

Baby Member(留言版初哥)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan86 View Post
    PS - it must be pretty fun to observe the forum from afar and all the drama that goes on here!
    That's probably the only benefit from not participating, in a way you're shielded when all that stuff happens. And I know there's very little logic in that.

Thanks for this thread, it has made me think more about taking a first step(now second).

Junior Member(有D料到)
    Lets all shield each other.
    Whenever someone attacks you personally, 99% of the time they are disrespectful people.

Trust me its best not to reply, and to avoid posting on any thread a bully is active on.

Send a PM to the administrator if someone is personally attacking you.
    The impacts of cyberbullying are well known and shouldnt be tolerated

Thankfully the people attacking others are few, you can count them one on hand.

Never feel the need to defend yourself.
    Trying to defend yourself on an online forum is useless, because bullies are just there to bully.
    Like a hyena who sees a wounded animal, bullies are turned on by seeing someone in pain.

Trying to defend yourself after being personally attacked is the number one thing to avoid on a public forum.

Its worth being reminded that a forum is an exchange of ideas. If you have a different point of view thats fine, just make your point. But when you start criticising another person directly, you are crossing the line.

Its well recognised that people who need to attack others are generally weak people that get no validation in their real lives, so bully others on an anonymous forum to make up for their powerlessness.
    Its also well recognised that a bully ignored is a bully vanquished.
    Dont give them any fuel to let them be the big keyboard warrior.
    Let them be a big tough keyboard warrior without an audience or willing victims.

Take it easy. Look to the sun not to the dirt at your feet

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by androc View Post
    We all shield each other.
    Whenever someone attacks you personally, 99% of the time they are disrespectful people. Trust me its best not to reply, and to avoid posting on any thread they are active on.
    The people attacking others are few, you can count them one on hand.
    Please understand this is a forum, not a place for people to make personal attacks.
    Please PM the administrator if someone is personally attacking you.
    Never feel the need to defend yourself- that is the number one mistake not to make on a public forum. Post your comment or After Report and only only respond to thise you get along with
    State your opinion and only listen to those with a positive mindset
    Very good advice mate. If I get attacked now I ignore it....move on. The trolls love it if you get all wound up.

Junior Member(有D料到)
    Agreed PM2. Did you notice how people felt and acted emasculated and premenopausal when they read your hypervirile reviews, and had nasty personal comments
    Just look at their posts and chuckle to yourself. Plenty of keyboard angst and frustration. But little actual reviewing.
    Dont descend to their level

I reckon if there were more punts with reviews by these bullies, there would be less pent up anger among the keyboard warriors.

The amount of vitriol pm2 copped was hilarious

Banned
    Check it out. Seems quite a bit of attacks and negative reviews going around.

Banned
    Any bro bragging about doing bbfs with wl's (not to mention sending videos of it unsolicited to other members) should be called out for it. He's making the punting environment less safe for the rest of us including wl's.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    I rarely post reviews (I used to) since the places I frequent aren't in the "inner circle" of advertisers. Happy to chime in to non-AR threads, but I also go through cycles of trying to spend less $ punting so limit my time on the site.

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    I can't see why we can't all just hold hands and sing songs, feeling happy and gay?

I think there's various reasons for attacks but often it's from a place of jealousy.

I think the best way to deal with di$&@eads on this site is to use the 'ignore list' button - that shuts them up!

Banned
    No matter what happens with these attacks. The truth will always come out.

We all know who bullshit and who write real stuff.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast