Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you think?......food for thought or a bucket load of shite.

Banned
    haha, everytime you are confronted with cold, hard facts which disprove one of your conspiracy theory you sidestep the argument and accuse the other person of being naive or misinformed. Go to the back of the class!

99 Premium Member (特級會員)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChairmanPlough View Post
    He brought the good news, he showed us that god lives in every man, he told us that we should love our neighbour.

If we seek him then we shall find. But, most of all, "Faith, hope and love...and the greatest of these is love."
    I think my joke was lost somehow..

Banned
    He brought the good news, he showed us that god lives in every man, he told us that we should love our neighbour.
    Jesus: "Think not that I am come to bring peace on earth: I came not to bring peace, but a sword" (Matthew 10:34)

In my experience Christians know very little about the bible. Im an athiest but have read that book and studied it comprehensively. I enjoy nothing more than confounding jesus worshippers with the text of their own scriptures!!!

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Quote Originally Posted by rushmore View Post
    Jesus: "Think not that I am come to bring peace on earth: I came not to bring peace, but a sword" (Matthew 10:34)

In my experience Christians know very little about the bible. Im an athiest but have read that book and studied it comprehensively. I enjoy nothing more than confounding jesus worshippers with the text of their own scriptures!!!
    Ahh the old quote out of context and presented in a way to be taken literally*...yep that's confounding... :P

(* Despite the fact the quoter abhors fundamentalism him/herself...) :/

99 King Member (帝皇會員) CunningLinguist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by asiafever View Post
    We all see what we want to see, and read what we want to read, CP just tries a little bit harder ...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rushmore View Post

Quite some time ago on this thread, I mentioned how Emperor Constantine (a converted christian) held a conference to codify
    all the information - scrolls, books and scripts regarding Jesus the Nazarene. Many scrolls and books were left out of the final
    compendium, (including those of Mary Magdelane) so, very obviously indeed, the finalised first edition was highly edited.
    Hence, to quote from the good book, withouting fully realising just how edited it was, is patent folly - you have to understand what
    you're quoting in the particular context in which it was written. Also, I previously stated that there may not be one indisputable fact
    in the new testament, nevertheless it is still overflowing with the truth. You need to critique me on what I have said, not what you
    want me to have said.

Banned
    Ah yes, I see the ravens have descended upon this discussion.
    Unable to contribute meaningfully to the intellectually demanding debate,
    and unwilling to leave the discussion to those who can,
    they ready themselves for the swiping, the jibing, and the insults - a very low
    level to which they are well accustomed.

On the one hand, I can say to you ugly creatures, "get thee behind me satan."
    And, on the other, I realise how intrigued you are when the light is shown to you.
    Is it not true that the ugliest of moths, those that live in the dark,
    are highly attracted to the light.

So, I say this: do not get behind me, but come to the light and see all that there is to be seen.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by flamingmoose View Post
    Ahh the old quote out of context and presented in a way to be taken literally*...yep that's confounding... :P

(* Despite the fact the quoter abhors fundamentalism him/herself...) :/
    Well said.....I look forward to several more intelligent comments from you on any various aspects of this thread.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    I heard that joke from Jimmy Carr once.

Didn't find it particularly funny, unlike some of his other material.

Ah yes, I see the ravens have descended upon this discussion.
    Unable to contribute meaningfully to the intellectually demanding debate,
    and unwilling to leave the discussion to those who can,
    they ready themselves for the swiping, the jibing, and the insults - a very low
    level to which they are well accustomed.

On the one hand, I can say to you ugly creatures, "get thee behind me satan."
    And, on the other, I realise how intrigued you are when the light is shown to you.
    Is it not true that the ugliest of moths, those that live in the dark,
    are highly attracted to the light.

So, I say this: do not get behind me, but come to the light and see all that there is to be seen.
    Or we could shine the light on you

99 Premium Member (特級會員)
    Quote Originally Posted by Milf_Man View Post
    I heard that joke from Jimmy Carr once.

Didn't find it particularly funny, unlike some of his other material.
    Then I would put it to you that either you didn't understand the context of the joke or it cut too close to the bone.

You see, maybe, just maybe, when Jesus declared himself the son of god, he really didn't mean it literally, he meant it that we are ALL the children of god, no different from he, that he was just a man, no more or less, and the joke is that a whole religion has been made out of this literal taking of a metaphorical statement. As chairman states earlier, so much of the bible has been altered that really we can not accept it is an historical document yet many do, so many of the stories we learned as children were actually first seen in other religions (The story of the great flood and Noah's ark actually appeared first in Greek Mythology as the story of Deucalion. The very fact we celebrate Christmas and Easter in accordance with the pagan holidays of Rome at the time is another example, Jesus was not born in December nor was his crucifixion during the spring equinox. Both the birth of Jesus and his death on a cross were in fact seen in other religions predating Christianity.There were plenty of parallel, rival resurrected saviours.
    The Sumerian goddess Inanna, or Ishtar, was hung naked on a stake, and was subsequently resurrected and ascended from the underworld. One of the oldest resurrection myths is Egyptian Horus. Born on 25 December, Horus and his damaged eye became symbols of life and rebirth. Mithras was born on what we now call Christmas day too, and his followers celebrated the spring equinox. Even as late as the 4th century AD, the sol invictus, associated with Mithras, was the last great pagan cult the church had to overcome. Dionysus was a divine child, resurrected by his grandmother. Dionysus also brought his mum, Semele, back to life.)

I have read the bible, quran, Buddhist texts, visited shrines, synagogues, and holy places of all sorts, spoken with people of so many different religions, including a fascinating guy who was a scientologist who spoke with me candidly about his beliefs, I studied ancient history and the mythology surrounding it, funnily enough everyone I spoke to all claimed to believe in the one 'truth'. It was not an overnight decision for me to reach that I do not believe in any of it. I searched and came up with a conclusion based on the evidence placed before me, that is that we seek to fill a void in our lives with an omnipotent being of some kind, that we do not wish to take responsibility for our own lives and fate, yet that is the true meaning of life, we are born, we live and we die, and when we die all that we have achieved or not is entirely our own doing. There are no mystical forces at work, all the praying in the world will not change anything, rather action is the only way change can be brought about. There are good people, there are bad people.

Chairman spoke earlier of the rumour that Jesus lived out his life etc, which to me further dents the credibility of Christianity and yes can imagine such facts to be covered up, it would men there was nothing divine about him at all, just that he was a decent bloke who wanted people to love each other and do the right thing, a bit like Gandhi. In a few centuries, will people view Gandhi as a deity and worship him?

Anyhow, truth is, we will NEVER know. Ever. Belief is just that, and no one persons belief should require that others believe the same, that seems to be where most of the trouble in the world lies at present...

99 Premium Member (特級會員)
    Oh and interestingly, a great deal of the buddhists I spoke to were very quick to point out Buddhism is a philosophy, not a religion... I found that quite telling..

Oh and interestingly, a great deal of the buddhists I spoke to were very quick to point out Buddhism is a philosophy, not a religion... I found that quite telling..
    Yep ! Blind faith and superstition are impure forms of Buddhism, derived from Daoism !
    Directory of After Reports by wilisno
    http://www.aus99forum.com/showthread...ectory+reports
    Collections of frequently used Abbreviations
    http://www.aus99forum.com/showthread...-Abbreviations

Then I would put it to you that either you didn't understand the context of the joke or it cut too close to the bone.

You see, maybe, just maybe, when Jesus declared himself the son of god, he really didn't mean it literally, he meant it that we are ALL the children of god, no different from he, that he was just a man, no more or less, and the joke is that a whole religion has been made out of this literal taking of a metaphorical statement. As chairman states earlier, so much of the bible has been altered that really we can not accept it is an historical document yet many do, so many of the stories we learned as children were actually first seen in other religions (The story of the great flood and Noah's ark actually appeared first in Greek Mythology as the story of Deucalion. The very fact we celebrate Christmas and Easter in accordance with the pagan holidays of Rome at the time is another example, Jesus was not born in December nor was his crucifixion during the spring equinox. Both the birth of Jesus and his death on a cross were in fact seen in other religions predating Christianity.There were plenty of parallel, rival resurrected saviours.
    The Sumerian goddess Inanna, or Ishtar, was hung naked on a stake, and was subsequently resurrected and ascended from the underworld. One of the oldest resurrection myths is Egyptian Horus. Born on 25 December, Horus and his damaged eye became symbols of life and rebirth. Mithras was born on what we now call Christmas day too, and his followers celebrated the spring equinox. Even as late as the 4th century AD, the sol invictus, associated with Mithras, was the last great pagan cult the church had to overcome. Dionysus was a divine child, resurrected by his grandmother. Dionysus also brought his mum, Semele, back to life.)

I have read the bible, quran, Buddhist texts, visited shrines, synagogues, and holy places of all sorts, spoken with people of so many different religions, including a fascinating guy who was a scientologist who spoke with me candidly about his beliefs, I studied ancient history and the mythology surrounding it, funnily enough everyone I spoke to all claimed to believe in the one 'truth'. It was not an overnight decision for me to reach that I do not believe in any of it. I searched and came up with a conclusion based on the evidence placed before me, that is that we seek to fill a void in our lives with an omnipotent being of some kind, that we do not wish to take responsibility for our own lives and fate, yet that is the true meaning of life, we are born, we live and we die, and when we die all that we have achieved or not is entirely our own doing. There are no mystical forces at work, all the praying in the world will not change anything, rather action is the only way change can be brought about. There are good people, there are bad people.

Chairman spoke earlier of the rumour that Jesus lived out his life etc, which to me further dents the credibility of Christianity and yes can imagine such facts to be covered up, it would men there was nothing divine about him at all, just that he was a decent bloke who wanted people to love each other and do the right thing, a bit like Gandhi. In a few centuries, will people view Gandhi as a deity and worship him?

Anyhow, truth is, we will NEVER know. Ever. Belief is just that, and no one persons belief should require that others believe the same, that seems to be where most of the trouble in the world lies at present...
    Have you read the DaVinci code ....

Banned
    The Jesus/Barabbas debate would seem to have been hi-jacked by the ravens and
    the modicums - always psychologically locked-in to their "facebook" style of debating.
    Rather than starting their own interesting threads, they dilute the arguments here.

Well, no matter. One thing can be said for certain; the truth is not contextual, it cannot be changed,
    and try as you might to dilute or pollute the truth with desperately ill-informed opinion,
    it will always remain unchanged. This is well-worth remembering in the current, floundering scientific &
    technological age.

Now then, very little has been said regarding 100-150 million who died under Mao's regime in China.
    I'm sure many of you guys would have some allegiance, or perhaps not as the case may be,
    to Mao, who committed the most despicable act of the 20th century.

This is something, again, we hear very little of these heady days of the global economy.

Ps. I see this thread is a clear first on the forum's hit parade for recently viewed threads.
    People clearly want the truth, even here, still they seek the truth. How wonderful.

Well, no matter. One thing can be said for certain; the truth is not contextual, it cannot be changed,
    and try as you might to dilute or pollute the truth with desperately ill-informed opinion,
    it will always remain unchanged. This is well-worth remembering in the current, floundering scientific &
    technological age.
    Confucius Says "Truth is a Time Variable"
    An unreliable review written under the influence of post-coital euphoria

"You want the Truth? You can't handle the Truth! "

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j2F4VcBmeo

Senior Member(無間使者)
    See kurasowa's "Rashomon". Truth is always subjective.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Licker View Post
    "You want the Truth? You can't handle the Truth! "

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j2F4VcBmeo
    It seems to me, I'm one of the few who can handle the truth around her....
    but this, of course, is not news to me.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Guymartin420 View Post
    See kurasowa's "Rashomon". Truth is always subjective.
    This is a very quaint and convenient notion I'm bound to say.
    Think about it, on this entirely false basis, everyone can derive their own reality and truth.
    Reality and truth becomes simply the product of opinion and the re-affirmation of that opinion.
    How incredibly convenient for us, to be able to abrogate the responsibility of our morality and conscience.
    This mentality led to 100-150million Chinese being killed under Mao's regime, and 70million murdered soviets
    between 1917 and the fall of the USSR in 1991.

It is monumentally dangerous to believe there is no sacred moral truth and or reality.
    In fact, the notion that truth is contextual/subjective is corrupt pseudo philosophy of the lowest order.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast